Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2021 Kent

bad In-laws

Eram, 12 of March of 2021 at 21:56 Posted on Planning 1 7
Anyone had any trouble with their partners in laws? Mine have been a nightmare to the point we have banned them from the wedding. I’ve planned my wedding by myself & really wished I could have shared some of those moments with my mother in law to be. I’ve had issues when I’ve gone round to their home & they haven’t been welcoming, & I’ve left like an outsider, rubbish feeling. I know I’ll have to put my differences aside so my soon to be husband can have his parents there & later on he can’t turn around say he regrets it. Sorry for the life story & a half! It’s upsetting & I feel lost in all of this

7 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 15:39
  • E
    Eram ·
    • Hide content
    *husbands parents even!
  • Louise
    Savvy September 2021 Cheshire
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I haven't had to go to quite this extreme but I don't really talk to my in laws about wedding plans. Every time it comes up his mum will be panicking about something random that is either totally beyond our control or ridiculous (like being able to get shoes that fit). And she's worried about how much it'll cost us, keeps suggesting not inviting certain people to save money. I've had to tell her that as we are paying for the wedding then we'll spend what we want on what we want. It's so difficult with in laws I think, but you need to do what is best for you.
  • J
    Curious August 2022 Kent
    Jo Fran ·
    • Hide content

It's a really difficult one. It might be really awkward and uncomfortable but I would really recommend putting your differences aside and rising above it if you can; we only get one family. My fiancé has unfortunately lost his parents and as much as they angered me at times, I am absolutely gutted and heartbroken that they can't be involved in our day. Even if they would make me roll my eyes and drink a little too much on my wedding day I would give an arm and a leg to have them there for him. Try to talk it out, get everything out in the open and compromise where you can xx

• L
    Beginner June 2021 Gloucestershire
    LuxuriousGreen1994 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I completely understand how you're feeling as I am in a similar position! I sometimes think parents make it obvious they have an issue with their childs partner and forget that it isnt about them, its actually about their child getting married and starting a new life!

My partners thoughts on our situation is his mother is always trying to play victim and likes to have drama going on because otherwise her life would be very boring (she doesnt work and all her children are grown up and left home). Unfortunately she was like this when her other son got married and i was desperate for ours not to be the same.

In all honesty talk to your partner about how you feel and see what he wants to do. I have told my partner i never want to come between him and his parents and i truly mean that, but it has been left in his court for what he wants to do. Currently his parents are not invited but i have left it open for them incase he changes his mind.

• D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

My life has been soooo much better since I no longer have to deal with my MIL. I have my DH relay any messages I have for her and that way nothing gets crossed in translation. So my point is: your not alone with the crazy in-laws and maybe you just need some time apart to allow the situation to calm down.

• E
    Eram ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you sweetie! X
  • E
    Eram ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ours seems to be the opposite! They’d like people at our wedding that we don’t want there & have offered to pay. It’s tough, but hoping we will middle through without a major fallout x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics