Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bec84
Beginner

Balloons - tacky or not?

bec84, 15 of April of 2009 at 13:32 Posted on Planning 0 31

Can't decide on balloons....we're having a party after our wedding abroad in a pub, so table arrangements of martini glasses or candelabras (which i love) will be too OTT.

I've got some low levl table arrangements, but I'm wondering if I should have some balloons on some tables (not every one as it would look ridiculous!)

Any ideas or pics from those that have done it?

31 replies

Latest activity by chids, 16 of April of 2009 at 13:36
  • CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the tacky camp. I think it would better if you put a few together dotted around the room - say a cluster of 3 with a long weighted down string if that makes sense.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with CD.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

Depends how you do it, I think. My cousin had balloons at her wedding last weekend and it looked really nice (I was quite surprised actually!) Their colours were purple and green and they had groups of 2 balloons (1 of each colour) spaced out along the tables - the tables were long and thin. They also had balloons at each of the windows. They used balloon weights (in green & purple) to weight them down. Sorry, I don't have any pics tho.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, I'm really not a fan of balloons at a wedding as a form of decoration.

• chicken82
    Beginner May 2009
    chicken82 ·
    • Hide content

Im not a fan either. My aunt said she was going to buy me a big balloon arch and i almost passed out. she wasnt TOO ofended when i said no.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

My good friend is a balloon modeller and is doing our centrepieces (along with amusing ones for later in the evening...purely for H2B!) I think they'll look fun...plus I'm not sure if we'd do it if it was a uk wedding...it's all about saving costs on centrepieces.

However I don't particularly like balloon arches or those balloon figures.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a balloon fan TBH, but I need something to make it a bit more like a party.....

I'm not wanting anything like a balloon arch...think I'd cry if someone suggested it! I;m thinking a few clusters of 3 (maybe hidden in the corners) just to make it look a bit different to how it looks every other day of the year.

Not decided though, so keep your opinions coming - be as honest as you like!!

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Bec, how about something like this?

?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats the point Tahdah, as its not going to be a formal reception.

I've already had to ban my uncle from ordering a Bride and Groom Balloon couple along these lines.....

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

There are balloons ....and then there are balloons!

I'm a wedding DJ and see a lot of different styles and decorations. I personally think that balloons arranged appropriately, picking out the colour theme can give the wow factor.

You've then got the problem of if you have children, by 7 oclock the balloons tend to be strewn all over the place, wrapped round chair legs and looking delightful for your evening guests!!!!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

This is the sort of thing we're aiming for - pink and white flowers.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Now thats quite fun actually!!!! You may have a plan there Tahdah!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

May have to have a word with H2B about having our reception room like this. It's, erm..., well...it's "fun"

H2B actually wants balloons for our reception. I'm not a lover or a hater, but thinking as we have a lot of kids coming, it might be a good idea to keep them amused for all of 5 seconds.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married abroad, so at my uk after party i'm having balloons, just a few on the tables, not too much, just a bit to make it less like a normal night out in the pub (my inlaws pub!) x

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pahhh haaa haaa haaa! ?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly the same for me...we're getting married abroad so its for our party in the Pub when we get back!

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some friends of ours had these at their wedding, decorating the cake table. They actually looked pretty cool!

Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content

Hello, we were thinking about having balloons for our centre pieces next year to save on costs as they will be a lot cheaper than flowersa. we were thinking of something along these lines, keeping it simple with 3 balloons at different heights. no balloon archway though!! theres a local balloon shop that can write your names and date on the foil balloons as well which we might do.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.luckenbooth.co.uk/cust_images/mallaig2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.luckenbooth.co.uk/weddings.asp&usg=__QInd5Evi7n5OEIZxE2vlp8eS_bo=&h=439&w=215&sz=29&hl=en&start=22&um=1&tbnid=JDACxvX2HN_O3M:&tbnh=127&tbnw=62&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwedding%2Bballoon%2Bcentre%2Bpieces%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.heliumballoons.co.nz/images/centrepieces/wedding_balloons.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.heliumballoons.co.nz/table-decor.html&usg=__ycvcq1NkSFJPDWMwK-7xeiqfiTY=&h=200&w=540&sz=32&hl=en&start=38&um=1&tbnid=tY_r7Oc_mSkhdM:&tbnh=49&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwedding%2Bballoon%2Bcentre%2Bpieces%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

it wont let me just copy and paste the pics!!

• littlebubs
    littlebubs ·
    • Hide content

This is a picture of our reception, we had a few balloons around and about. We had an arrangement of three in a cluster on the cake table and then we tied a single balloon onto each of the children's chairs. 2 reasons...1) so the kids had a balloon each and 2) so the servers could tell at a glance where to go with the kids meals!

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

We're having balloons at our reception mainly to keep costs down! We're having them around the room in bunches of three to match our colour scheme, definitely no balloon arches or brides and grooms made out of balloons! I think ballons can look classy as long as you don't go over the top with them!

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I think something like this is really tasteful - I have seen some balloon arrangements that are truely hideous at fayres etc, but I had similiar to this just to add a bit of colour to the room. 4 in an arrangement in ivory and burgundy. Less is more when it comes to balloons!
  • cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

Thinking of changing my dress to this one....

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan. but what mrs sp said is right - less is more. balloon arches = tacky. dotted around the edges of the room = not so tacky.

• M
    Beginner April 2009
    meowkat ·
    • Hide content

My OH's bro has balloons at his wedding. They were in clusters of 3 at different heights and just around the edge of the room. They looked really nice!

KATxx

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Phaaaa haaa haaa haa ?

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you should! *whispers* because then I can have yours!

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Personally not a fan of balloons, however Littlebubs' picture does look lovely and it is a good idea for the kids chairs .... not that it helps you Bec probably.

Maybe not candlebra's but you could probably still do some kind of candle decoration for the tables that wouldn't be too expensive.

ETA - sorry just re-read your post and realized I haven't read it probably (you have table decs). As for balloons on tables, I would be more inclined to go with a few round the edge of the room rather thanon tables.

• M
    Beginner June 2009
    mccaules ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

In my opinion, I think ballon are a bit tacky, but it does all depend on the venue etc. It's your day, so it should be your way!

X

• Heather W
    Beginner
    Heather W ·
    • Hide content

Hi girlies

This is just one dress that was done for a Japanese fashion show or some are run during balloon decorator meetings and competitions for balloon decorators (mostly balloon twisters) for a bit of fun. This was created on the model and it takes hours to do these - some more piccies for you in the attachment.

http://photowebs.blogspot.com/2008/02/balloon-fashion-show.html

Sadly my skills at doing twisting lack!! so I won't be creating a new range of bridal wear ? although maybe it may be a good idea to learn properley to get out of this recession!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

H x

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my word Heather.....thats just surreal!

• Monkeybear959
    Beginner June 2008
    Monkeybear959 ·
    • Hide content

We had balloons but not on the tables. We had them outside the room and at doorways. I didn't want them until about a fortnight before the wedding.

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

We had balloons, mainly because we didn't have a posh venue, just a village hall, and also we didn't have a massive budget. If those two things had been different then perhaps we wouldn't have bothered with them. I think that what we had though looked nice

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics