Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2016

Band AND DJ- timings advice?

marie169, 9 of January of 2016 at 17:52 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone else is having a band and a DJ at the evening reception, and if so, how are you fitting it all in?!

We are getting married abroad so just having a party when we get back. I was thinking of having the start time of 7pm, and it will probably end around 12.30am. We have booked a band to do about 90 mins, probably 2x 45 min sets around the food- We are having a BBQ for approx 100 guests. We also then have the DJ, who I thought could start at 9 or 9.30?

Does this sound ok or can anyone offer suggestions of how to fit it all in? The venue do not normally host wedding receptions so they are not getting involved in any of these sort of decisions. And this is my first (and hopefully only) wedding so I really have no clue what I'm doing!!

Thanks in advance

6 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 21 of January of 2020 at 11:19
  • R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

Our timeline was half 7 evening guests arrive, 8pm cut cake followed immediately by first dance (DJ played this and a few songs) band 1st set half 8 to 9.15, buffet half 9, band 2nd set 10.15 till 11pm then DJ till 12 (was going to go to 1am but a lot of guests started to leave and we were really tired so music finished at 12 and spent half hour saying good night to last guests). The timings worked really well for us. Hope this helps

• R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

I am having a full day but my evening timings will be kick off the evening with the first day at half 7 and an hour of music, then evening food at half 8 and another hour of music 9-10. Then music till people want to leave.

In my research of bands, I found that they all offer a laptop DJ service before, in between and after sets, so you may just need a band and won't need to pay for both. Just make sure you tell them your timings and they will let you know if they can cover it. I found that they were very flexible and generally expecting a much later finish time then I am thinking it will be (11pm) so I think 12.30 will be OK.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    marie169 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies ladies, you've given me something to think about. I was thinking of having the start time of 7pm rather than 7.30 to try and fit everything in easier! Smiley smile

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Marie,

This is always the most often asked question from couples.

The temptation is to get the band on early to 'get the party going' however you also have a DJ so it's a good idea to let the DJ play the early part until the reception/party is really ready to go crazy!

As your guests won't be arriving until 7-7.30pm then starting a band at 8pm will be just too early. Some bands think this is brilliant because they'll be packed up by 11pm but get your money's worth! Smiley smile

You haven't mentioned a first dance- if the band are playing it around 8pmish then ask them to play a couple of numbers...give everyone a taster for later.

I would advise the following with 2 x 45 minute live sets....

5pm-6pm - Band/DJ arrive & setup

7pm - Guests arrive. (Background DJ)

8pm - First dance? (See above!!!)

8.30 - FOOD!!! Give the food an hour before below band set one...not many people feel like dancing straight away after food!!!

9.30/9.45pm - Band set 1

10.15/10.30 - DJ

11pm - Band set 2. (45 mins + encore??!)

Dj to finish until 12.30pm.

Of course every wedding is different and it's your wedding so you can say what you want to do...the timings above gives you good value from your band & DJ. This is by no means the only timings that work and it's a great idea to keep it fluid on the night. Try to keep the band & DJ informed of the timings so everything is smooth running.

Definitely speak to your band though...they should have played lots of weddings!

Good luck.

James

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

To kind of add to what James said above, it's a good idea to speak to the band and see when they usually do their sets. It might be that they like to do a set to finish the evening on a real high, or they may like to get the dancing started after the first dance. Chances are they will have 'tried and tested' sets that work really well, and work particularly well at a certain part of the evening.

I'm a singer who DJs alongside my sets, so slightly different, but I normally do 3 x 30 minutes, one after first dance, another in the middle of the evening, and a third set to finish the evening with everyone up dancing in a circle around the B&G. I know the tracks in the three sets will work well at the time of the evening I sing them, if that makes sense!

Hope this helps!

James

• D
    dwilliams10 ·
    • Hide content

Ask the band and DJ to come earlier than the guests. After all, setting up their instrument or DJ mixing software can take some time. Before the party starts, let the DJ and the band play to get the party started.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This wont affect your plans but something to think about that has not been mentioned about timings is that if everything is in one room and yours is a later wedding the band will not be able to set up until everyone has finished eating and left the room.

Some venues either the evening will be in another room and they can set up whilst you are finishing eating or some venues its a bigger room with a dividing fold away doors and the band are already set up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics