Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner November 2017

Band booked but no contract?

Willows2B, 24 of April of 2017 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

We booked our band and have paid a deposit but they've said they don't have contracts/paperwork. Is that normal? Should I be worried? I've received a receipt (via email) confirming deposit received and it states the date of our wedding.

They're a local band and have facebook and a good website, they play local gigs and have reviews on their website for weddings.

I guess I just like to have paperwork and know for certain it's all okay! I've been mulling this over since we booked them a month or so ago and don't know whether to go back and ask for something or if that looks odd from me?!

Thanks Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by Bands For Hire, 30 of April of 2017 at 16:05
  • thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Willows,

Personally I would ask them for a contract. Even if you have paid a deposit it doesn't stop them potentially getting another booking and giving you the deposit back.

Unfortunately I get many messages every year from a frantic bride or groom where their band has either disappeared or cancel and they had no contract.

99% of the time I'm sure it would be fine but it's much better for all parties to have a contract and terms.

I'm sure most of the other suppliers would say the same. Smiley smile

James

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Also, your wedding insurance may not cover bookings with suppliers who fail to issue contracts.

Really, if they are taking bookings they need to get to grips with proper paperwork. This is an Inland Revenue requirements too... it's possible suppliers who don't issue paperwork are not registered with Inland Revenue or submitting accounts.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

If they're a local band that aren't a professional wedding band, they might be unaware of why you want a contract especially if other brides and grooms have not asked for one before, perhaps write an email explaining why you want one and why it's important to you. Insist on it, even to the point of downloading one and giving it to them to sign.

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help everyone. I get really awkward/nervous about this kind of thing - even when it's done via email so I'm going to think about how to word it. I don't want to come across as pushy (not that I think wanting a contract IS pushy but you know what I mean!) Perhaps I can say I checked our insurance and all suppliers need a signed contract to be be covered, or something like that? Do I need to sign it and send in post and then they sign and send back? I now can't remember what I did with the tog and videographer.

Good idea about downloading something, I'll have to see what I can find.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I do agree that you should get contracts from all your venders and we did, a few had us sign actual paper work and send it back but most sent us an invoice threw email which fine but when I was dealing with our caters and asked when they would they send contracts they laughed and said that don't do that.

I really didn't know what to do as it was the most money out of all of them but my hubby had his heart set on this place. In the end I decided that they were very popular and had been going for years so I couldn't imagine them screwing us over. I did get them to send me an email confirming what they were doing for us and it all turned out fine.

I could be wrong but I thought as long as you had written proof of the details even if it's just in email you would be covered.

• Bands For Hire
    Beginner
    Bands For Hire ·
    • Hide content

Yes, definitely get a contract! I think the insurance line is a good shout.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics