Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2015

Band set-up timings

Milly_Bride, 3 of June of 2015 at 09:49 Posted on Planning 1 8

Just over three months to go til our wedding now (eek!) and starting to try and pin down some of the details! We are having a fairly small wedding, approximately 50 people day and night and all in the same place. We are having a 4pm ceremony so there aren't any long gaps for anything. It suits us down to the ground but there are some logistical issues! The wedding ceremony, breakfast and evening entertainment are all within the same venue - there is a small barn used for the ceremony and then a marquee attached which will be used for the food (an afternoon tea) and dancing into the evening.

However, I'm not entirely sure when to ask the band to set up. They usually just arrive about 2 hours before they play to set up, soundcheck etc. However given that the stage and dancefloor are all part of the marquee where our guests will be spending most of their time that would mean them arriving and setting up right as people sit down to eat! Would this be too intrusive on the meal??

We do have a gap of about an hour and a half or so between the ceremony finishing and the food being served for mingling, canapes and photos - do you think this would be the best time to ask them to set up? Otherwise we'd have to ask them to arrive 2 hours before the ceremony begins and it seems a bit rude for them to hang around for 4 hours or so with nothing to do...

Has anyone had a similar wedding set up or experience?

8 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 3 of June of 2015 at 12:40
  • Dave Sanders
    Dave Sanders ·
    • Hide content

Hi Milly,

As a professional musician myself I hope I can be helpful.

Getting them to set up in the hour and a half gap seems like the best option here. Most bands should be able to load in, soundcheck and be sorted in that time.

If you are thinking of getting them in super-early, it is not unreasonable to ask your band to set up particularly early if logistics are an issue. Most musicians understand these kinds of problems.

However, the flipside of this is that they may charge a small fee for the extra time. Similarly, they would likely expect somewhere to go for that 4 hours and for you to possibly provide food/ drinks too.

I hope this helps,

Dave Sanders

www.davesandersmusic.com

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice! My only worry is that although an hour and a half seems like a long time, if the ceremony runs over at all it will be cut down and I don't really want them traipsing a bunch of equipment past the ceremony room while we are getting married! The venue is pretty small and it might be tricky for them to move their equipment between the guests mingling after the ceremony, set it all up and soundcheck in that time.

Perhaps I could see if they would be able to arrive and move all their equipment in before 4pm, then soundcheck between say, 5 and 6. Does that sound reasonable?

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh and if anyone has had their band set up in the same room as the wedding breakfast and it was no problem please let me know!! Maybe I'm worrying about nothing...

• Dave Sanders
    Dave Sanders ·
    • Hide content

Of course, timing changes are worth bearing in mind.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me, as long as they have somewhere to go out of the way during the wait otherwise you may end up with a band loitering outside.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    suedave ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are having the ceremony in the same room as the wedding breakfast, we get married at 3pm, we are having the same as you food then staight into the dancing no night guests. We have told the band to come for between 3-3.30 and they will hang around in reception then move into the room to set up the minute the ceremony finishes. They are then going to sing a song as me and the groom walk into the room at 5pm. An hour and a half should be plenty of time for them to set up.

xx

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Hmm good point! I have visions of them staring in through the windows during the ceremony hehe Smiley smile They could just chill out in the marquee with the bar/catering staff, or there's a pub around the corner they could have a quiet drink in. As long as all the equipment is in the marquee by 15 mins or so before the ceremony they could get on with setting it up while that's happening.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks suedave - what are your band doing between 5pm and when they play later on?

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    suedave ·
    • Hide content

Well they are going to play music for about 20 min before the food then I am not really sure I havnt really thought about that. I think they wil just hang about. I met up with the band last week and we went through all the timings and they seemed fine with it.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I would advise the 1.5 hour would be the best time for the band to setup.

Our band setup is pretty involved but we can do it in an hour so even a little bit of overun from the ceremony shouldn't be a problem. Then you can tie the band setting up with the room change.

Speak to the band though... they might prefer to get there early and setup at an easier pace.

A professional band shouldn't be 'lurking' around disturbing your breakfast and it's part of being in a band to sometimes have to kill a few hours, so try not to worry. Offering them some refreshments though will help! Smiley winking

Have a great wedding!

James x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics