Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner September 2016

Bands - average prices?

Violet89, 30 of April of 2015 at 13:22 Posted on Planning 1 15

Hi all, I'm at the stage of trying to find a band for our wedding, was thinking about £1000 for 2x60 min sets of rock/pop music. My friend got married at the weekend and had a 5 piece band which cost them around a grand, they were pretty good but was hoping to find a band who does some contemporary irish music too. I found a great 4 piece irish band who I have seen play in bars in Manchester where I live, but they are asking £1500 for 2x60 min sets. Is this a lot or are my projections lower than they should be? My friend who married last year paid that amount for her band too so just not sure what the average is. I know it is like photography where quality varies massively with price but was hoping to find a band who had good experience of functions, not necessarily weddings even, for £1000. Would anyone who had a band or has researched it mind telling me what you paid or were quoted?

15 replies

Latest activity by Snow bride 90, 9 of May of 2015 at 11:29
  • T
    Beginner May 2015
    Tooinvolvedgroom ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £1400 for 2 60minute sets. We have booked through warble entertainment, it's worth having a look ok there as you can see the prices of all of their bands that are on their books.

We was at a wedding recently where the couple had a band that was also good and I'm sure they're band was closer to the £700 mark.

if you want the name of the £700 band let me know, they're Blackpool based so am sure can travel to manchester

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

We paid £1250 but they aren't a wedding band. I would highly recommend them, The Baghdaddies, based in Newcastle but tour regularly so I'm guessing they will travel. They are unorthodox so probs not the band for you if you're looking for a safe bet, but they were SO MUCH FUN. They were a real talking point amongst our guests and lots of people said they were the best band they've seen at a wedding, a few people said the best band they've seen full stop. Look them up on Youtube if you dare!

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

We are contemplating having live music for the drinks reception and have been looking on here :

http://www.lastminutemusicians.com/

• JSuitsVox
    JSuitsVox ·
    • Hide content

You are right thinking of around the £1000 mark for 2 hours but make sure you see them live first, as standards of band vary wildly, you wouldn't want to inflict a third rate singer and shoddy drummer on your guests! we offer open rehearsals for brides to come and check us out and you should be looking for the same if possible. Also look out for extras, some bands charge extra for a DJ, do you really need one?

if the band can keep your dance floor full, learn your first dance and offer a DJ for the £1000 mark and they're decent live then snap their hands off.

I've posted this before and will reiterate, try not to use agents, you're looking at an extra 150-200 on top of the normal price which goes straight to the agent for not doing that much work, it's a rip off and they rely on people not being bothered to research, if your happy to pay that extra vs doing a quick Google search yourself fair enough but my advice is save your money and put it towards a good band! (Or chocolate or champagne or anything except agents!!!)

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Those prices don't sound too bad to me. We paid a little above £2k for our 6 piece band to do two 60 minute sets. They did have to travel to the back of beyond in Somerset though and stay overnight somewhere.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Yes a cost of around £1000 is around the average. However some bands will be less and some more.

It will depend on experience, what they offer and the level of service you will expect/require.

You can't always see a band live - especially one that is exclusive to private events so do research and read reviews, Facebook, Youtube & twitter. We play all over the country and even during an open rehearsal it's not possible to come and see us so we give them the next best thing online.

You should be able to narrow your search down a little though because you also want some Irish music in there too. A band that has a good mix of the two might charge a bit more though because not many bands do that.

Good luck!

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

Our band are coming n at £600 for two 60 min sets. I saw them play on a night out and they got pretty much everyone in the bar dancing. They were a massive bargain as our first choice was a band that cost £1,200 for and hour!

x

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £1000 for 2x 90 minutes sets. I would definately recommend seeing your band first if possible though, as I saw some questionable ones when I was looking!

x

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm looks like they are the average! I haven't got my heart set on Irish music too as if I found a good band who don't do that I would still book them. The band have now come back and set they would cut the 2hr set to £1400 if we pay our deposit soon since we know of them from previous university parties, but I reckon they are just playing us a bit lo. My worry is they are a four piece (2 guitars, bass and drums) and in our venue I worry their music won't match the venue. It is in a big Harry Potter style hall with very tall ceilings and the band need to correspond to that. But I can't really afford a 6 or more piece band. Its so difficult if you dont know the bands, I dont have tons of spare time to travel to see bands play in person so would only do this if I seriously was thinking of booking. Completely torn Smiley sad. Has anyone ever used the Gillan Edgar band, the Smooth Criminals, Under The Covers or Rush?

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsL242be ·
    • Hide content

My band is costing me £995 and they are playing from 8-12 with and hours worth of ceilidh. It's a 3 piece band, think it depends where u are, I'm the west coast of scotland

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

I read in a wedding magazine the average cost is around £300 per person for a 2x45 minute set if that helps x

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

I read in a wedding magazine the average cost is around £300 per person for a 2x45 minute set if that helps x

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    Snow bride 90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya, do you mind if I ask who they are, and if you have heard them before?

we are in Ayrshire and looking for something similar.

tx.

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsL242be ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Snow bride 90, I'm Ayrshire too!! The band are called three card trick, we saw them at a showcase at the brig o doon, if you look up coast entertainments they have them on their books and some online demos

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    Snow bride 90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that, I have had a look at them and asked for availability.

norrowing choices down just now, so I will hopefully have a choice of bands for my date.

thanx again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics