Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cherry_bomb
Beginner

Banking a cheque in your maiden name?

cherry_bomb, 30 of December of 2008 at 11:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Does anyone know if this is generally possible, or would it be at the bank's discretion?

I got married 6 months ago and changed my name with the bank shortly afterwards, but have been given a cheque for xmas from my granny in my maiden name. I didn't notice it until after she'd gone home (she lives abroad), so it would be easier, if it's possible, to bank this one rather than ask her to re-do it.

Has anyone done this? Thanks.

10 replies

Latest activity by rufus, 30 of December of 2008 at 15:48
  • Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It seems to be at the bank's discretion, but more unlikely than likely that they'll let it go through (I had the opposite problem a couple of times - cheque in married name, account in maiden). Take your marriage certificate with you and you might be lucky.

• chariot
    Beginner June 2007
    chariot ·
    • Hide content

I did - not sure how long after (a good few months). They weren't that keen but it was only for a small amount so they did it - they did had copies of my marriage certificate already on file so could quick clearly see what my old and new name was/is. Worth a go?

• cherry_bomb
    Beginner
    cherry_bomb ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both - I'll take my marriage certificate along and give it a go!

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

My bank have never queried this - I've banked 3 cheques in my maiden name since I got married and they;ve never even drawn attention to it!

• S
    Scarlet Fifi La Voom ·
    • Hide content

I bank with L TSB amd they banked a cheque after about 6 months with no problems, as they should have a copy of the certificate, but also theyshould be able to see records of when your name was changed.

• redcherry
    Beginner April 2006
    redcherry ·
    • Hide content

I've done this a few times and my H has done it for me as well. We didn't draw any attention to it and the bank never queried it.

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

I was told that as long as you had the bank account before you were married i.e. in your maiden name then it wouldnt be a problem. Although not sure how true that is mind you.

I have done it a couple of times.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

I guess mine is a bit different because I hadn't had the account in the name the cheque was for (and still don't), so it is a different situation. They did let me do it once though (I now keep accounts in both names but I think there's only any point in that if you actually use both names).

Hope they let you pay it in - it is very awkward asking someone to write a cheque, I agree.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

I guess mine is a bit different because I hadn't had the account in the name the cheque was for (and still don't), so it is a different situation. They did let me do it once though (I now keep accounts in both names but I think there's only any point in that if you actually use both names).

Hope they let you pay it in - it is very awkward asking someone to rewrite a cheque, I agree.

• rufus
    Beginner January 2007
    rufus ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I did this recently at my local Natwest.

The cheque was in my maiden name and the account I wanted it to go into was held in my married name.

It was a high-value cheque (after selling a car that was registered in my maiden name), but I took along the marriage certificate and supporting car reg/sales docs, and they let it go through no problem at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics