Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner

Banks - paying in coins

allthatglitters, 20 of August of 2008 at 12:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 22

Someone just told me banks now only accept 2 properly sorted bags of coins now to pay in, is this right? I don't want to send H up the bank with my piggy bank money if they won't accept it! It's all in the right little money bags.

22 replies

Latest activity by Daniel, 19 of June of 2022 at 23:52
  • strawberry*shortcake
    strawberry*shortcake ·
    • Hide content

Yeah it pretty much is. I think Abbey took 3 for me last time but that was all!

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content

Depends entirely on the bank.

The one I work for will only accept 5 bags of coin max (beacsue we only have little safes!), but a larger bank will take more. My H took about £100 in silver into HSBC, which they took without batting an eyelid.

I'm pretty sure every bank will want the money sorted and bagged appropriately.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

My banks will accept five bags at one time for adult accounts.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Barclays took loads of bags from me the last time I emptied our little piggy bank. They have to be bagged up into appropriate bags though obviously. That was a couple of years ago, maybe things have changed.

You could always use Coinstar.

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Last time I did this for my H his bank (Natwest) said they don't mind smaller amounts (I was changing just over £60) but they don't like accepting larger amounts (they classed £200 as a large amount).

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content

The coinstar in sainsbuggers by me is always so busy! I might see if H will pop to the bank tomorrow, I know a lady who works there so maybe she will accept it! Its all in the correct bags there is just a lot of them ?

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bugger, I have £214 plus another £58 of H's

• L
    loopyloo ·
    • Hide content

Most I have put in to my account is £800 all in correct bags, mostly £1 coins. This was Halifax/BoS. You need to go to the business banking counter though, as they have the coin scales to weigh them.

At the ordinary counter its 3 bags.

No coins at all at weekends.

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

A clearing bank like Barclays will take any number of bagged up coins, however a non clearning bank like Halifax limit the number of bags to between 2 and 5 as they done have large enough safes to store the money in.

(Halifax told me this after Id lugged 30 odd bags of coins to their branch, I was allowed to deposit 4 bags, I told them to forget it and lugged them to Barclays where they accepted the lot)

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content

Ah, brill. H is a barclays customer so if the Halifax don't take them he can walk up to there. Thanks all! ?

• NeoShoegal
    NeoShoegal ·
    • Hide content

Our HSBC has a machine similar to the coinstar machine. Just empty your piggy bank in it and it sorts it for you and puts it straight into your account.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The HSBC at Merry Hill has one of those ?

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now thats a good idea, more banks should have them I reckon

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

would it put it into my halifax account for me??

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a bloody fabulous idea. I'd love one of those. Counting coin is one of things I hate most at work, and coin bags have a habit of coming undone in the safe.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i tell you what, if i d have been behind you in the queu and i had a cattle prod on my person, i d have been using it ?

this happened to me this morning - in the bank, paying in cheques. some guy at the front paying in what seemed to me to be about a million pounds in bloody 5p's, 2p's, 10p's, you name it. it took about 20 minutes. i was so grumpy about it i asked the girl on the enquiry desk to get another teller to open a till, and she looked up at the queue of about 15 people and said "oh, why?" god what a dimwit.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Alleydrew I'd love to work in a bank. Can you do that counting notes really fast thing (flick flick flick!)

do you smell like money when you come home?

• Rusty the Clown
    Rusty the Clown ·
    • Hide content

I find this really odd. Surely everyone has the right to bank money into their account? I understand if you are taking in £100 in pennys and want the notes but if it's going into your account, the bank must benefit.

?

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to be fairly quick at counting, but I'm out of practice at the moment as I'm seconded to training. Some of my cashiers are freakishly fast. The older ones who've been working in banks for 30-odd years are the best!

Luckily I don't smell of money. Money in large quantities generally stinks. I loathe cash delivery day, when we have to count through hundreds of thousands of £ (with the aid of a machine, I hasten to add) before loading it into the ATMs. Vile, stinky notes, and your hands are grey with dirt after handling them.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well who queues up just to pay in a cheque? when they have machines you can put them in?

if i'd be behind you in the queue i may have got my cattle prod out too ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

from experience, the cheque bins are emptied at the end of the day, which means that cheques arent processed until the next day. I like to make sure its in the system way before the close of business, so i always pay in at the teller. plus, i ve had problems with "lost" cheques before using the bins, so i dont.

• L
    loopyloo ·
    • Hide content

Only the once have i paid in such a high amount. Usually its around the £100-200 mark. All pouns coins, all in bags.

So all she needs to do is dump all of the bags on the scale and press the £1 coin button.

No cattle prod needed for me.

However, i wish i had one for the woman that came in with coins in an Asda bag. All mixed. Not bagged separately. The bag was around 1/3 full. She wanted the teller to count it and bag it, cos it would take her too long and she didnt have time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics