do we

a) hire a company

b) buy our own booze & get someone in to man the bar & charge £2 a drink

8 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 2 of November of 2015 at 19:28
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I'd hire a bar company. I have photographed events they have attended and the service provided is more than just serving drinks. Their staff will collect & wash the glasses to make sure there are enough, for example.

I did a private party recently and the bar company brought 3 members of staff for about 80 guests.

• Danteborderterrier
    Beginner March 2016
    Danteborderterrier ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring a bar company:

I didn't like the idea of hiring glasses a) because i couldnt be bothered to work out how many glasses i would need b) the cost of breakages and c) washing up!

If we bought the drinks a) we would have to work out how much to buy b) somewhere to store it c) more hassle the day before taking it to the venue and setting it up and d) less choice - our bar hire was able to provide a much wider range of drinks then we could have afford to buy!

Staff! The bar hire will have staff not only to serve drinks but also to set up/take down the bar, clear glasses and prepare the welcome/toast drinks as well.

Paperwork! Unless your venue has the correct licence, you need to apply for a licence to sell alcohol! The bar hire will do this for you if you want, again saving a lot of time and hassle.

Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Hire a bar company. Apart from buying and how much and storage etc it gets rid of the problem of bar staff, clearing away, how big a measure and the fact you're not licensed to sell alcohol. Not worth the hassle if it was me.

• Soon2BMrsJ
    Beginner September 2015
    Soon2BMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

I second what others said. We had our wedding in a village hall and hired a bar company. We did initially think of doing it ourself but the idea of the stress worrying about whether we would have enough drink, glasses etc made it too much. The bar company were brilliant. No stress at all.

• R
    Beginner March 2017
    RomanticGingerDesire ·
    • Hide content

Soon2bmrsj

can you remember the company that you used

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Like others have said, get a bar company in, less stressful also you need a license to serve drinks (take a course) and another license for each venue, I know because my daughter just got her license and has started doing this ? .

• Soon2BMrsJ
    Beginner September 2015
    Soon2BMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

We used a local company, Oxford Bar company, they may travel if your not local to them but not sure. Here is there website - http://www.theoxfordbarcompany.co.uk

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Hire a bar company. We're having a village hall wedding and I wouldn't want the stress of making sure someone was there to man the bar all night (who would you even ask? I want all of my guests, ushers, bridesmaids etc to be having fun not serving drinks).

Our bar isn't even costing anything to "hire". We paid a £100 deposit and as long as they make £400 (easy with up to 140 guests) we get our deposit back ?

A lot of companies operate this way so make sure to shop around.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

We don't have an option - our village hall comes with a bar and we can't sell alcohol. Easier and cheaper to pay an extra 50 quid than to supply all the booze ourselves.

If we didn't have that, I found a company locally that would come along for free, taking their payment from whatever they sold. You'd get a professional supplier at no cost - double win if you ask me ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics