Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bare Minerals Make up starter kits

7 April, 2012 at 23:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Ok, so I have to confess that I was slightly disappointed with my hair and make-up at the wedding - to me, my hair looked from the front like it always does, and because I'm so pale I just didn't have enough colour in my face. I said I wanted natural but not invisible! I was also bowled over by what she charged - £140 for me to have my hair put in a bun, simple make up and a blow dry/hot brush and bit of hairspray for my mum!

Anyway, last year I had my make-up done professionally when I was CBM for my BF, and loved the make-up that the girl put on. It was all bare minerals which seemed to work so well with my skin.

Because I spent such a hideous amount for the wedding (which I still haven't confessed to H - it did play on my mind for the whole wedding), I really can't justify getting it done again (albeit by someone different) for the reception, which is on Saturday.

So, my question is, bare minerals - are the starter kit boxes that you can get at Debenhams what I am looking for or shall I buy individually? I don't have a huge amount of money to spend but I do want to look good. My hairdresser has offered to do my make up for me which is lovely of her, but all of my stuff is very basic and very old, and all of her stuff wouldn't be right for me as she is darker than me.

Bare Minerals, yes or no? Or can you recommend a better foundation, blusher and eye make up?

16 replies

Latest activity by looneysh, 10 April, 2012 at 11:14
  • Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Everyone is different, personally I love Benefit make up, its all a bit glowy and makes you well, glow, and clinique superbalanced foundation. Its flawless coverage and a small bottle lasts me about 3 months, it is expensive but its worth it. Would you consider false eyelashes? You dont have to go OTT but they reallly bring your eyes out and liven up your whole face, I LOVED mine for my wedding. You dont have to get the expensive £40 ones you can get weekend lashes for a tenner.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

ETA

I cant help on eye shadow as I ussually just wear a neutral colour then benefits "miss popularity" and lots of max factor masterpiece mascara in every day going out. On my wedding day, the MUA did a smoky eye which was fab but I could never do myself! Reccommend Benefitbig beautifu eyes pallett thats what she used! Also coralista blusher, high beam cheek high lighter.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Well my MUA went the other way and went WAY OTT. I spent an hour after she had on the morning of my wedding left frantically washing off all she had done except the eyeshadow! I had really really thick dark foundation, ridiculous black drawn on eyebrows, super blusher and was in tears. I uased a whole pack of baby wipes to get it all off and did it all myself! And paid her £60 for the pleasure! £160 if you add mine and 1 of my bridesmaids v simple buns! My bridesmaid is a tomboy and didnt want make up. I looked like Jordan. Seriously. Was fine once I fixed it though but what a waste.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Its a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long story, basically in shortest possible terms she is a gf of H's mate and I didnt realise when i booked her that YEARS ago my mate had a one night stand with her BF when they were on a break (a long one , like 8 months). Anyway she not only brought this up on the morning of my wedding as she was doing my wedding but proceeded to tell me that my friend had ruined her (already v. f'd up) relationship. So personally I think she did it crap on purpose. I didint know it was her when I booked I got her name from someone my mum knows who lives in a completely different area about 15 miles away! RANDOM.

Your hair is gorgeous you could do so much with it! I cant talk mines always tied back but mines crap. Def wear make up it makes you feel so much more confident, I dont go out much with being ill but every time I do I put my make up on, even just to the shops!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

My MUA told me not to use bare minerals in photos as it shows up white meaning your face is a different colour than your neck. I wonder if anyone else has heard of this? I love Benefit make up, I think for my wedding she used Bobbi Brown, it looked really good.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I bought the Bare Minerals starter kit last month, biggest waste of money ever!

If I were you I would go to Debenhams and ask a few different stalls to apply their make up for you and then make a decision. I just walked over to BM and it looked ok so I bought it all. It cost me £70-odd quid (I added a blusher) and I can honestly say I haven't used it since. It's a lot of faff, I can't be dealing with that in the morning. And yes, whilst it looks good it doesn't give a lot of coverage and I do prefer Benefit/Mac.

Wanna buy my BM starter set? ?

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I've recently started using bare minerals and I'm having it for my wedding make-up. I love it, best of all it doesn't leave me with itchy red eyes after wearing it like every other make-up I've tried.

I've been to Debenhams a few times and had them do my make-up and they've always been really helpful with suggestions of what I should and shouldn't use. Apperently they have 2 types of mineral veil which is like the finishing coat. You can get a plain one or a sparkly one. They recommended avoiding the sparkly one as it may reflect the light too much in the photos.

It is quite expensive make-up tho and if you get the starter kit there will be other bits and pieces that you need to get on top of that.

• K
    Krazylover ·
    • Hide content

I uased a whole pack of baby wipes to get it all off and did it all myself! And paid her £60 for the pleasure! £160 if you add mine and 1 of my bridesmaids v simple buns! My bridesmaid is a tomboy and didnt want make up.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Love bare minerals - i started using it after I was a BM for a friend as it looked and lasted great.

I first bought it on QVC and then sometimes buy from debenhams.

If buying for the first time I would suggest QVC as at least if you dont like it you can send it back - even after wearing it lol.

I wouldnt use anything else - i had a trial for my wedding with Estee Lauder and didnt like it at all.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I have the bare. Minerals starter kit which I bought duty free, I like it for holidays but not everyday. I have loads of benefit makeup which I love and wore for my wedding.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

A lot of make up counters do make up lessons, I know Mac, Dior and Bobbi Brown do. They are about £20 but that cost is then deducted off of purchase. Could you use one of these like a make-up artist on the day of your wedding reception? Go to the counter and get your make up done, then perhaps puchase a lipgloss/powder etc. to top up if need be.

If you are set on Bare Minerals (I've heard that the UV in them can look strange in photos, but if you've worn at a wedding before with no problems it should be fine) I'd not buy the whole starter kit - you only really need the correct colour of foundation and a kabuki brush to buff it in with. The other things in the starter kit may be a waste of money - but the whole kit may be only a couple of pounds more than the foundation and brush.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I am a massive Bare Minerals convert! My SIL got me onto it after her beautician friend recommended it to her - my whole family uses it now!

I bought a "complexion enhacners" kit which isn't available any more but this is what I use when I'm going out (too much faff for work every day):

Primer (as it happens, I don't use a BM one but they do do one)

Under eye concealer (there's one called "Well Rested" but I've run out of that, so use one called "Bisque" which also covers blemishes)

Foundation (I have two different ones for summer and winter)

Bronzer (mine is called "warmth")

Blusher (currently have three different ones)

Highlighter ("Pure Radiance")

Finish with Mineral Veil to set it.

If I'm having a really bad skin day, I'll put some liquid foundation on underneath as well, but you generally don't need it. The trick is just to buff it in well.

I'm not sure what are in the starter kits these days, but I think it's a couple of foundations (you can blend the two together, or just use one in summer/one in winter like I do) and probably a blusher/bronzer.

Let me know if you have any questions because I've used most products over the years!

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I have recently bought the Bare minerals starter pack, and added the concealer (which wasn't included) and also bought the eyes starter kit along with pearlescent eye primer. I go through days where I really like how my BM make up looks on me and other days I think it looks awful either too much or not enough. It's quite difficult to gewt the balance right i think and plenty of practice is needed.

I do plan to use this on the wedding however, as I spent a lot of money on it. I will just need to take my time on the day and make sure I get it right!

If I could go back however, I probably would have just bought new/more MAC make up as I like applying that....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics