Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner May 2017

Barn dance with hog roast

tomg, 28 of July of 2015 at 12:35 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello,

We are planning our wedding for 2017 and it would be great to get some tips.

Our idea is to have a simple ceremony followed by a big party, ideally a barn dance with a hog roast for 100-120 people. We just want it to be a fun and relaxed occasion. Relaxed dress code. No formal wedding breakfast. A lively band leading a barn dance.

Does anyone have any experiences of this type of wedding? We've seen barns for hire and hog roast packages, but they tend to be part of a sit down wedding breakfast package, which is a) more expensive and b) not what we're looking for.

Would be great if you could let us know if you have any tips - even better if you know of venues that could do this in the Midlands or South/West Yorkshire!

Many thanks,
Tom

8 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 31 of July of 2015 at 12:34
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I have shot quite a few weddings at Castle Donington Park Farmhouse and it think it fits what you are looking for, they have the barn and do their own hog roasts the last wedding I shot there also had a barn dance.

I have a gallery of some of my past weddings there on my website if you would like to see, also the first dance shot in my below signature was taken there ( disco lights through smoke )

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarahm66 ·
    • Hide content

Can't help you with a venue in your area but just wanted to say good choice about the barn dance which is what we had for our wedding. I wanted something that would appeal to all ages (ie not a disco) but was a bit nervous about audience participation. All I can say is that it made our day and the crashes and *** ups are still the major talking point of the day and the only drawback I can see is having enough space that 100 people can dance in! Good luck!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Left Bank in Leeds isn't a barn but it's suitable for a barn dance. It's a de-commissioned old church with all the seats taken out. You could have a hog roast there.

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about the cheerful chilli at Otley?

its a veggie cafe/restaurant (but they will probs let you bring in your own catering) with a barn for weddings with beautiful views.

I went to look with my FSIL for her wedding and she was planning on a hog roast.

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

We're not in your area but found lots of hog roast companies. Quotes were between £10 and £12 per head for hog roast, rolls, stuffing, apple sauce, potatoes and a few salad options. That is based on 120 people. And actually, as we're in the south I would anticipate it being similar if not a bit cheaper where you are ?

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding with a hog roast and barn dance a couple of months ago and loved it! One thing I would say is to highlight to your guests in some way (e.g. on the invitation) that you aren't going for the traditional wedding theme and are having a barn dance - at the wedding I went to it was a surprise which didn't go down well with some guests!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I would second the Castle Donnington suggestion. lovely place.

• T
    Beginner May 2017
    tomg ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Very useful.

Castle Donnington Park Farm had already come up in our search so good to hear a recommendation.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The wedding I shot there last year who had the barn dance also had their own playlist on an ipod I believe done through Park farmhouse own pa system as the barn dance was not all night and so that also catered for those who didn't fancy the barn dance although judging from the amount of people doing the barn dance I dont think it was many !

Happy to help if you need to see any samples as park farmhouse is one of my regulars

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics