Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner

Barn / Hall Venue wanted in North Yorkshire / County Durham

tcw1986, 3 of June of 2012 at 18:02 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi,

We've just got engaged and are starting to think about what type of venue we want for our wedding. We like the idea of a barn or hall where we can do our own catering and put our own stamp on the reception and party. We're about to enter the wonderful world of wedding fayres and the like, but wondered if anyone out there had come accross a Barn or nice hall in North Yorkshire or County Durham area as that is where we are both from. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Toby and Helen

9 replies

Latest activity by rachfarish, 27 of August of 2012 at 22:15
  • cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Hi. I'm sure there are loads of lovely barns / halls in North Yorks & County Durham. I haven't researched it but a couple of nice ones in York come to mind. In fact, in York there are lots of oldy-worldy places such as The Hospitium (in Museum Gardens with old abbey ruins which make lovely photo settings), The Merchant Taylors Hall & Merchant Adventurers Hall & St William's College to name a few.

We went to an event with work at The Tithe barn in Nether Poppleton ( a village on outskirts of York - North-West-ish of city. The right side for folks travelling from the North East). It was lovely with a nice garden & next door to an old church. It's looked after by local people & they do take pride in keeping it nice & raising money for it's up-keep.

I don't work for York Tourist Board - honest, but know it cos I live there!

• T
    Beginner
    tcw1986 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your response! These places look perfect - although unfortunately a little too far South for us; we were really looking for something closer to home, which is Darlington. We've tried all over the internet, but not found anything near here! Even the suggestions you made never came up in any of our searches, so that proves that the internet isn't great for finding these things!!

Thank you again!!

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Hi. You've got me intrigued. I did a quick google search & see what you mean - places that are called barns that don't ever look like they stored hay in them!! I did find a couple of places that may be of interest but I have never been to them so don't really know what they are like.

Ox Pasture hall, near Scarborough looks nice. As does Simonstone Hall in Hawes but the best one (from the description on the internet) was Danby Castle/Fort in Whitby area. It looks quite small & only holds a small party but they do a vintage afternoon tea wedding package with fish & chip supper later on. It's probably a bit small but sounds quite quirky!

Anyway, happy hunting. Hope you find something great. I'm sure the venues are there as the areas you are looking at must have plenty of halls & barn-type venues x

• R
    Beginner
    rachfarish ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm just wondering whether you managed to come across anything? I am lookimng for exactly the same and am from Stockton and everything we find seems to be in Northumberland (whihc is too far north sadly) or York which is just too far south.

If you do come across anywhere near by I'd be gratful if you could let me know. We're currently looking at the ARches in Brotton - but might be just a little bit too far south from Darlington.

You could try Sadberge village hall. That's pretty.

Thanks.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

The village hall in east Rounton is a nice village hall with a separate room for the meal and decent kitchen facilities.

Just down the a19 from middlesbrough

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Funny I was just thinking about this the other day, we've photographed quite a few barn weddings over in the lakes and further afield, but not in the durham / newcastle area. Seems to be something that's lacking around here! The closest match I can think of is Jersey Farm at Barnard Castle, although they've done the catering at the weddings we've been to there, but it has the barn kind of feel to it.

Backworth Hall near Newcastle may be worth a look, it's council owned and very much a blank canvas, but a beautiful building & gardens etc - worth a look

Ali x

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi again,

Can't believe I forgot this place - have a look at Crook Hall in Durham. It's a great medieval hall & you can provide your own catering. There's also the option of having your ceremony in the gardens too. Only downside is you can't have your evening reception there, but the Radisson Blu along the road is nice ?

Ali x

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

I spent many hours looking for barn type venues in/ around Newcastle or Durham, and sadly didn't find anything suitable. I did actually like the look of Jersey Farm as Ali mentioned above, but went for something totally different in the end.

Whe you say hall, do you mean like a village hall type venue? Not sure if this is any help, but if you do a general search for 'village hall' here on the Durham County Council website it'll give you details of village halls (among other things) by area- might give you some ideas? http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/DOSSearch.aspx

Will let you know if I can think of anything else....

• R
    Beginner
    rachfarish ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone really helpful!!! I'm going to look at them all now!

• R
    Beginner
    rachfarish ·
    • Hide content

Also I'm a little blown away by all the quick replies and help and responses! Honestly wasn't expecting anything thank you! : )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics