Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Barn near Manchester/Peak District - getting worried now...

butterfly2016, 30 of September of 2012 at 08:14 Posted on Planning 0 30

I would love to get married or at least have a reception in a barn but can't find anything suitable and starting to worry we'll have to settle for something we don't want. I've been to The Ashes and that was beautiful but too expensive and didn't have dates we wanted. Been to Davenport green and liked it but just want to see what else is out there. Rivington hall barn is out because of the numbers needed. I'm starting to think we'll have to go for somewhere we like but not love. It doesn't have to be a barn but somewhere with a rustic feel. I would really appreciate any help.

30 replies

Latest activity by a-cheap-date, 6 of November of 2013 at 08:34
  • katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Google Hyde Bank Farm. It's a small farm, barn, tea room in Romiley. Its where im getting married, its even nicer 'in the flesh' Xx

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I live in the peaks in a village near Buxton and I had the same issue, I would of loved a barn. However, we found Hargate Hall and it allowed us to do everything we wanted. We are having a Vintage/Rustic/Alice in Wonderland feel and the hall lets you do what ever you want Smiley smile We are having bunting and fairy lights and loads of flowers and putting our own pictures up on the wall. It has a really intimate and family oriented feel about it, also it is very reasonably priced! Hope this can be of some help Smiley smile www.hargate-hall.co.uk/

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to both of your replies.

If you don't mind me asking both of you, how many are able to go to your reception?

Also, for Hargate Hall, it is hard from the photos on its website to see how a reception would be set up. Is there enough room for a reception then dancing at night?

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, my friend got married at sandhole oak barn, it was fantastic x we also went to a wedding last year at heaton house farm which was lovely x

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi, I'm sure Hyde Bank Farm told me 100-110 at night, maybe more. Their having a bar put in down stairs do it may be more now so worth giving them a bell to check. How many are you looking for? X

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

Our numbers are 48 for the day (but can go up to 76 seated or up to 150 with a mix of seated and standing) and 113 for the night (not sure what the limit is).

You can have your wedding breakfast in the hall if your numbers are small but if you require more space you have the use of their on site marquee, which we are using. We are also having a DJ with dancing Smiley smile The DJ will set up under the stairs and the hall will be you dance floor. There is a room off the side to be used for your buffet room and there is a big balcony type room upstairs with sofas for a get away from the noise.

If you google Hargate Hall wedding photos you will find some real life weddings that will give you a better idea of what it looks like. We are having the weekday package but if you are wanting a weekend wedding you get exclusive use of the hall and its accomodation from Friday Morning til Monday Morning. It really is a lovely place.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Hyde Bank Farm looks lovely so may have to visit that one. We'd be having 100 at night roughly.

As for Hargate Hall, it looks different which is what we want and like the idea of there being space too move about. Thanks for all your information about it. We want to get married on a Saturday but don't necessarily need all of that accommodation.

Sandhole oak barn was on list but after visiting styal lodge, I presumed that sandhole would be the same - expensive and booked up. I'll check out Heaton House too.

Thanks for replies and if anyone has any other hidden gems then please let me know!

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

Before you consider Davenport green you might need to read this..

/news/whereyoulive/****-capacity-marquee-to-be-removed-from-davenport-green-hall/

and this ..

https://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews185290.html

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Peover Golf Club? It's not a barn but kinda looks like one. Here are a few pics:-

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I would say that for your numbers peover golf club (120 i think) and hyde bank farm (100 i think) are your best bets..if the ashes and sandhole oak barn were too expensive i think that heaton house will be too unless you go for a week day...

i wouldn't go for davenport green hall as we had some issues and arguments with them just to receive a price list, i found them very unprofessional but thats just my opinion...

x

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thank you for all of your replies! Haven't been on here all week and so pleased for the feedback. I really like Davenport Green but feel there may be somewhere else for us. Peover Golf club looks gorgeous and I can't wait to ring up and book a viewing. The photos on the website look beautiful! I will also visit Hyde Bank Farm. I love the Ashes but then probably everyone does it is so gorgeous but expensive as was Styal Lodge (but also gorgeous). Had no idea that all this looking for venues business would be so stressful! Thanks again!

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sandhole Oak Barn is a little cheaper than The Ashes so it may be worth taking a look. I've viewed both but went with the Ashes in the end. Have you thought about going for a weekday or off peak season? You'll most likely get the date you want as well as the availability.

Heaton Farm is more expensive than both The Ashes and Sandhole and also I've heard some negative stuff about them.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i thought that sandhole oak barn is about £5000-£6000 room hire only for a peak saturday....i thought that the ashes was cheaper than this and that heaton house was about the same? i would have said sandhole was the most expensive out of those 3 from what info i've been given xx

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends on what day the OP wants to go for. A peak Saturday wedding at The Ashes will cost £5,950 whereas at Sandhole, it will cost £4650 (2012), going up to £5050 for 2015. However an off peak Thursday wedding say in Jan 2014 will cost £1,950 at The Ashes and £3900 at Sandhole because Sandhole only knock £1000 off the price for off peak.

I don't have the prices for Heaton Farm anymore but I didn't bother viewing them in the end because they cost more than The Ashes and by that time, I had already fallen in love with it. If it was cheaper, I definitely would have gone to view Heaton Farm.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable but I want to have money left to spend on extras for the weddng. I just hope we find our dream venue! Mrs*W*2B did you say you went to Sandhole Oak Barn? What was it like? How expensive etc?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i have been to a wedding there...we didnt go and look around as i saw their prices were over £5,000 for a saturday in August...the venue itself is lovely but i couldn't justify spending that amount on room hire only...before you even start with food/drink....have you thought of going for a different type of venue? we ended up going for tabley house (knutsford) for our ceremony and the tytherington club (macclesfield) for our reception....for under £5,500 we are getting:

ceremony at tabley house
    champagne for 85 people (can provide our own)
    nibbles/canapes for 85 people (can provide our own)

Reception room hire at The tytherington club including private outside area
    3 course meal for 85
    1/2 bottle of wine each for 85
    toast drink each for 85
    Evening food for 170

we found this was the best way to get everything we wanted and within budget....these are our venues

Obviously not a barn but shows what you can get for the same price as room hire only at some places!! x

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

I obviously misunderstood your earlier post, I thought you thought that spending a lot just on venue wasn't too bad! I'm the same as you, I can't justify it! I love where you are getting married, maybe we need to have a re-think but got a few to visit first. Will keep you informed!

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hyde bank farm only charge £1300 for the room and 3 course meal is £28 a head. I loved the look of Heaton House Farm but just couldn't justify the cost. That's for the whole day too I'm not on commission, just love it ha xx

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain, truly i do.

I went to the Ashes as my FIRST venue viewing and it is truly wonderful and really fantastic. Everything after didn't compare or match it and i had a hard time getting over it that i nearly booked until we went over our budget with a fine tooth comb. if we did go for, it was pushing us to the top end of our budget, no wiggle room. So had to put it out of mind and re-think everything. a little emotional distressing but I could understand why people were cautioning me. it was £3500 (off peak season) of dead money simply just to be there.

i ended up looking at the poplar opposite type of venues. ones within our budget. But thats what had to do.

now I've not seen anyone mention this venue here yet:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/meols-hall-tithe-barn_2934.htm#pos=24&type=8&lhid=15767

it was too far away for me to consider so i don't have more info on it, but perhaps this could be a goer?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I've just thought of another place that we looked that is kind of barnish haha

leicester warren hall...its VERY cheap!! but we just felt it was still in working progress...they are doing it up but its worth a look around as an option...

<< Ceremony room

their prices were litrally amazingggg x

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My personal opinion of Sandhole is that it's absolutely stunning BUT you get all this beautiful ground and lake, yet they restrict your guests to the decking area. There is the courtyard and the clock tower where your guests can roam around though. With regards to pricing, I've posted some examples on my earlier post. If you know what dates you going with, I can get the price for you as I have the pricelist for up to 2015.

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

I've shot at Hargate Hall, really nice house and gardens... Feels really intimate. Just in case that helps!...

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all of your replies and sorry I'm only just getting back to you all - been very busy at work this week. Anyway, thanks some great suggestions of places to start viewing. I really like the look of Davenport Green Hall but worry about the negative reviews, although maybe it is different now? As for other ideas, we just need to look at our numbers again - looking more like 80/90 for reception with 110 at night so some of these places may be too small.

I'm still open to any other ideas - doesn't have to be a barn, just somewhere with a rustic, countryside feel.

Thanks again!

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE the look of this place and have booked an appointment. The lady said most weddings come in at 4 to 5k for 100 guests and I swear I said we wanted a sit-down meal before I asked the question but starting to panic and thinking maybe she means for a buffet, whereas we want a sit-down meal with wine included etc. She has said she will email me the brochure but it's been a couple of days and I don't want to chase her as I was so desperate to find out more and not find that another venue was out of our price range that when I didn't hear back in the morning I called at lunch Monday and made an appointment! So the last thing i want to do is chase again. I also know how annoying it is when you're busy and people chase a lot!

The website says packages starting at £1795 but it doesn't say for how many or what that includes. I would have thought a minimum of 40 guests but not sure on what basis i.e. sit down or buffet. I'm starting to panic now though as Tabley House tea rooms show packages starting from £4,495 for just 40 guests and 60 evening - but that does include canapes, chair covers and sashes, a DJ, master of ceremonies and a civil ceremony at Tabley House.

Could you let me know basic costs per head for food (sit-down), wine and buffet Mrs*W*2B - or anyone else who has come! It's only just over a week until I find out but we're going to Brighton ring shopping Friday and could do with knowing a realistic budget.

Hyde House Farm looks lovely but only seats 80 so no good for me!

By the way, for anyone who may want to know the answer - charges have now gone up to £1650 for peak season Saturday, £32.95 per head per head for 3 courses with coffee, £6 for bacon or sausage sandwiches at night, £8 for hot carvery at night, £13.50 for house white and red, £15.95 for sparkling wine, £3.50 for cava to toast. The hire is £1,650 for the usual (i.e. no DJ or chair covers included).

• A
    Beginner June 2015
    Anne2015 ·
    • Hide content

We live in Buxton and are getting married at Sandhole Oak Barn. It was the first venue we looked at. We loved the place but when we got home and did the figures we nearly had a heart attack so we looked around at loads of other venues but nothing just compared! So we decided to go for a Sunday to cut costs and figured that the venue was one of the most important things to us so decided to go with it. We can cut costs on other things! We also looked at Heaton House Farm, it was narrowed down to the final 2 so I've got up to date pricing at home if you want to know. Again the cost comparison all depends on the month. Different venues seem to class peak and off peak different months. We didn't physically look at the ashes because we wanted accommodation which Sandhole has. The other thing I like about Sandhole is because it's a modern barn there is loads of natural light! I nearly went insane looking for venues. I'm hoping the rest will be easier. Although photographer is proving a little tricky. What is it with the costs!!

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are discipline, you should be fine Smiley smile

I splashed out on my venue (The Ashes) because for me, it was the 'one' and promised myself I'll cut back on other areas to make up for it! Unfortunately, 1 year on... I've also found a photographer, a dress and a band that's 'the one'. My budget is taking a hammering and it's looking like I'll have a great venue, dress, photographer and band but my guests will be tucking in to pop noodles for the wedding breakfast!

Congrats on finding your venue. Sandhole is gorgeous and was a very close contender for us, we loved the after-party barn they had that you can continue to entertain your guests at. Good luck with the rest of your planning.

• G
    Beginner May 2014
    GaynorA ·
    • Hide content

The Hunting Lodge at Adlington Hall has a barn feel too and they do packages that don't work out too expensive. I really wanted a barn venue for our reception at first but just couldn't justify the cost of venue hire before adding catering costs etc. we started looking at other types of venues and totally loved Alderley Edge Hotel - it's nothing like a barn but has loads of character and has a really good feel; and like others have said we're getting room hire and catering for 60 day time guests and 100 evening guests for £5000, so I think it is worth looking at other options Smiley smile Good luck in finding somewhere Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    JMarieS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting married at Hyde Bank Farm too! Its a lovely place isnt it, and the people are really nice too. It does massively help that its so reasonably priced as well. Theres no way I could have afforded places like Sandhole barn and Heaton House farm. The venue hire was more than my budget for venue + food + drink. My only reservation was size - I think we wanted to invite about 90 people to begin with but we scaled it down because we liked hyde bank farm so much. Now I'm stressing a bit about invites :s

Also I love that hyde bank farm has the shetland ponies ...Definitely will have to try to get a picture with those cuties.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sue250 ·
    • Hide content

Have you had a look at heaton House Farm? /your-wedding-venue/ My brother got married there

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

Heaton House Farm is lovely but only seats 80 people. Got the meeting with Leicester Warren Hall this weekend so will let you all know prices, etc! Already got the packages prices but not sure we need all of it and so will post all the info soon!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics