Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Poppleton
Beginner June 2015

Barn Venues in North Yorkshire?

Poppleton, 31 of March of 2014 at 20:00 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi guys, I'm new to Hitched, so I apologise if this post isn't in the write forum!

My fiancée and I are looking for somewhere to get married next June but are really struggling to find somewhere that suits us both. We're not religious, so don't want a church, but would like somewhere quite rustic, like an old barn. It's a relatively small do, about 60 guests so doesn't need to be huge, but if possible, we would want to have the ceremony and reception at the same venue.

We love York Maze but it may just be out of our budget. Boo. We also found Barmby Moor but that requires a lot of extra bits to hire (Toilets, tables etc.) that makes it quite expensive too. We want to do everything else DIY to fit in with the rustic feel and to save some pennies(!), so there's nothing else we can cut back on to be able to afford somewhere more expensive.

Does anyone know of any other, for want of a better word, 'rustic' venues in the North Yorkshire area? We live in York and are amazed at the lack of available barns in the area!

Anyway, thanks for reading and nice to meet you all!

6 replies

Latest activity by Poppleton, 1 of April of 2014 at 00:02
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered hiring a village hall? There must be loads of pretty village halls in North Yorkshire and they normally have a really decent hire price.

You normally get them for the whole weekend when you hire them so you have time to do all the DIY you want and can look great with some nice decorations; bunting, etc ;-)

Obviously you can't get legally married in a village hall but you could either have your ceremony at a registry office or other location and then travel with your guests to the hall or you could do the legal stuff a day or so before at the registry office and then have a ceremony on the day in front of your guests with a humanist celebrant?

Edit: forgot to say - welcome to hitched ?

• Poppleton
    Beginner June 2015
    Poppleton ·
    • Hide content

Hi Miss Pickle! We did think about village halls but we really don't like the idea of the legal part having to be done somewhere else. We want to get married and have all the guests witness that there and then. I don't know, just our preference (:

Also, I linked to the two sites in the post above for reference, but the links aren't showing. Hey ho.

• H
    Beginner September 2014
    halechap ·
    • Hide content

I presume you've enquired about the tythe barn in poppleton ? unsure if they can do the legal part though x

• Poppleton
    Beginner June 2015
    Poppleton ·
    • Hide content

We have yeah. It's absolutely beautiful, but we'd have to change the ceremony space into the reception space within about half an hour and I don't think that's doable for us I'm afraid. Plus, one of my best friends has wanted to get married there for years so it seems a bit unfair, haha!

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched! When I first got engaged I looked through every single venue on North Yorkshire's approved venue list and there wasn't a lot of choice in barns. There is Syningthwaite Priory which has a barn but I didn't go to look and the photos show more marquees than barn! A bit further North but I'm sure there was a barn (or similar) near Guisborough/Stokesley way. Good luck searching - it's over a year since I was looking at venues so it may be that m0re have been added now ? The more rustic type venues tend to be hotels in the Dales, but still no barns.

• Poppleton
    Beginner June 2015
    Poppleton ·
    • Hide content

That's one to look at, Trish. Thanks!

Yeah it's the venue hire that's getting us. The entire cost of our wedding would be just over £10,000 with half of that being the hire of the venue alone. It's a lot of money. Especially seeing as everything else we're doing, including the food, is cheap and on budget, there's nothing else left for us to shave off the cost!

Thanks very much, I'll be sure to let everyone know if I do find anywhere!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics