Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

Basement Flats

*Mini*, 15 June, 2012 at 19:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Ok so we have had a little rethink on our finances and what sort of property we want to buy and have come to the conclusion that we can scrape by on a 2 bed property, the theory being we can buy a 2 bed in an areas we like as opposed to buying a 3 bed somewhere rough and hideous.

We have found a basement flat we love, we could move in tomorrow and not have to do anything to it. Its a basement flat though- what do we need to be wary of? Damp is an obvious one- how do we look out for it? Or is that something a survey would show up?

6 replies

Latest activity by *Funky*, 16 June, 2012 at 21:01
  • Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We lived in a basement flat before we moved here. We only rented mind but we didn't have any damp problems. The only issue was the people in the other flats (there were 3 it was a converted Victorian house) could use either the front door which was fine, or the back door which was literally next to our bedroom, we would get woken up constantly and it didn't feel very private. Is it going to be your garden or shared?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It would be our garden- its on a main road so am a bit worried about the cats.

The front door is near the front of the property, so what would be the kids bedroom, our bedroom would look out over the garden. Was it dark?

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

A survey would flag up any damp issues you may have (either a Home Buyer's report, or a full structural survey). A could surveying company would ask you what you'd like them to look at anyway, so if damp was the main thing you're worried about, they'd definitely make sure they look at that and make it clear whether it could be a problem. Definitely worth the money.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Surprisingly not, well the rooms with window weren't. The bathroom and hallways had no window so they were always dark.

Hmm the main rd is a bit of a worry does the back garden back onto any other roads or couls they play there? Popy tended to just stay in the back garden as we couldn't let her out the front as it would have mean going up the stairs. She used to go out via the back window and only when we were in!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I lived in a basement flat (rented) and we had a real problem with damp in the lounge which was the lowest floor, the flat was at the bottom of a hill so i dont think that helped with the water run off the flat was always cool which was actually quite nice in the summer not so great for the electric bill in the winter, was quite dark as well so needed to have the light on quite early.

Just to point out that the flat was a Victorian style conversion with sash windows, i don't know if that makes a difference.

I think house insurance is higher for basement flats too (more perceptible to break ins and flooding)

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Ah yea we used get loads of giant spiders!!! i forgot about them......We also had mice once too!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics