Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

baublegirl
Beginner January 2007

Bathroom cleaning - with what/how often/what makes it easier etc (boring, sorry)

baublegirl, 8 of April of 2009 at 15:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

OK - have just thoroughly cleaned our bathrooms, and that was a grim job. I feel like I don't really know the best way to keep on top of things (years of shared bathrooms where we emplyed a cleaner spoiled me!) and so I tend to just keep the loo spotless with a frequent dose of bleach, and then do an occasional major overhaul on the rest.

Trouble is, with a house full of boys it's now starting to get to the point where I need to get more organised about doing things (and also to get them to help a bit!) At the moment, I very much just sort of zap everything with cillit bang - but I'm sure that's not great (particularly as I'm heavily pregnant, and not sure if that sort of strength of chemical is good for me?).

So - what products do you use - and what on?

How often do you do it?

Any tips for keeping things clean in between times?

And any advice on how to avoid hideous limescale all over the shower screen (CB doesn't seem to work on this - does anything?) and how to get rid of that nasty orange stuff that builds up on your grout?

We're in a particularly limescale ridden water area here.

Thanks!

20 replies

Latest activity by Charles, 18 of August of 2024 at 14:49
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

Apart from the loo I tend to ignore my bathroom until guests are coming, then zap the entire lot with viakal. ? I'm not sure that is particularly helpful to you.

• T
    Toblerone ·
    • Hide content

I find those Flash scrubby cloths are quite good for a quick whizz round the sink/loo/edge of bath, I also like a squirty limescale remover, I whack it round the taps after using the scrubby cloth, leave for a moment and rinse off with a bit of kitchen roll. Finish with a squirt of bleach down the loo (a limescale busting one) and leave for an hour. Voila a tolerably clean bathroom.

If your lot are anything like mine there's usually toothpaste/shaving foam scum/soap scum etc left in the sink on a daily basis. I have no idea why they can't rinse the sink after use but I'm still working on that one!

ETA - I do that a couple of times a week, it takes about 5 mins and the bathroom gets a *proper* clean once a week, which includes foaming Cif for the bath/ceramics, clean windows/mirrors with Windolene, Viakal on taps/drianholes, wipe tiles with scrubby cloths, wipe loo roll holder and towel rail and rad with stainless steel spray (Wilko do a good one, very cheap) and wash floor with mop. Takes about 45 mins.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I pay my 12yo SD £1 a week to clean out bathroom. She uses a bleach spray / cilit bang on the bathtub, tiles, and sink. Then flash wipes to wipe the window ledge and shelf, plus any shampoo bottles that have collected dust. She changes the bath mat and pours a load of bleach down the loo for me to then go in and scrub.

I hover the bathroom weekly as I do the whole of the upstairs. It doesn't take long at all. We are in a little routine now which is fab. Between me and the girls we can have the house cleaned from top to bottom in under 2hours. They know if they do their chores on aSaturday morning they get their pocket money when we go shopping Saturday afternoon.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Scale and nasty orange stuff can be removed with bicarbonate of soda. I tend to save any old toothbrushes for doing such jobs as cleaning grout. Our grouting is disgusting, it needs re-doing but MrSun is useless at such things so I suspect we'll move before getting it done.

Scale on windows/shower screen i'd say white vinegar. The bottom of our loo gets limed up every now and then and I just give it a good scrub with a hard brush and under the loo rim also needs doing or it gets smelly, not a nice job.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

I have a wonderul thing called a husband. the bathroom cleaning is his job. I know he uses a limescale remover which also gets rid of the orange stuff (I think it's cause by linescale) but I can't think what it's called.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Urgh! Tell me about it. Our bathroom sink is spotless for then less an hour I'd say. Thank the lord for flash wipes ?

• B
    Beginner October 2004
    Bah humbug ·
    • Hide content

I have found that the orange stuff comes off of grout if I just give it a good scrub wth a scourer. I also give our shower screen a scrub with a scourer every so often but keep the limescale down by giving it a squirt with Method shower cleaner after a shower.

I clean our bathroom once a week with Method tile and tub cleaner and then if we are having anyone around give the sink a quick rinse and make sure the loo is clean.

• T
    Toblerone ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, if you have a houseful of boys you probably already know all about the little sprinkles the p*ss fairy will leave you round the loo, I get this a lot and find even small-ish lads can manage a wipe round the edge of the loo/base of the toilet with a Flash wipe if properly shouted at encouraged. Although to be fair the mess in the sink is evenly distributed between girls/boys and not always the little ones either LOL.

• T
    Toblerone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I know, I get through a packet a week at least!

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

I use cif cream everywhere and it gets rid of the limescale, dirt build up (because we are talking once in a blue moon here) and everything. It's fab. I think cream cleaners are lots better than sprays

L
    xx

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I thought it was just MrSun, he leaves clumps of toothpaste in the sink and bits of shaving gel around the edge of the basin, drives me potty. He also leaves puddles of water on the worktop (we have a sink built into a worktop).

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Aha - Dettol Mold & Mildew Remover (green bottle) removes the orange stains. Spray it on, leave for a few mins and rinse down and maybe wipe gently - hey rpesto everything is nice and clean.

http://www.dettol.co.uk/sf_bathrooms.shtml

Bottom 2 products.

I've also just found a new product that removes limescale - we get it round our taps we're in such a hard water area. I'll dig it out tonight as I can't remember the name.

I also use tesco own bathroom wipes (same as flash but cheaper).

For the toilet I use parazone wipes and bleach mainly.

• Kebab thief
    Beginner August 2008
    Kebab thief ·
    • Hide content

We also live in a hard water area and suffer with limescale on the shower screen so I feel your pain. MIL uses one of these after every shower: /8959/oxo-good-grips-squeegee to get most of the water off of the glass so it can't form limescale. Apparently it works very well.

We use a microfibre glass cloth thingy to wipe down the screen and buff the glass a little bit while its still wet and that definitely stops the build up. We also use it on any shiny metal surfaces; shower valve, taps, towel rail etc. and the mirror and it makes everything very sparkly.

As for the rest of the bathroom I tend bleach the loo and (properly)clean the basin and surfaces about once a week. Other than that its a rinse of the sink whenever it needs it or a quick wipe around, unless my MIL is coming, then I get the marigolds out and spend a couple of hours making it spotless ?

• snow white
    Beginner
    snow white ·
    • Hide content

For the bathroom I use Flash multi purpose cleaner, I scrub the grout between the tiles (every month or 2) with an old toothbrush and bleach, that makes it all nice and white again. I also buy a daily shower spray, just Asda's own make. You just spray it on the tiles and shower screen as soon as you get out of the shower and that keeps it looking clean. Once a week I'll clean the shower screen with just normal glass cleaner.

I go over the sink every morning with the flash spray to get rid of the toothpaste and whatever other mess E has left and rinse/wipe round the bath every time its used.

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content

Wow - thanks for all the replies! Sorry for the delay, had to take a work call, but didn't expect so many responses.

Will sit down and read them properly in a mo

?

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit OCD about my bathroom and clean the loo, sink and bathroom everyday. It only takes 2 minutes though, and doing that means once a week I can do the tiles/ shower screen/ floor and it only takes 10 mins.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Mr Muscle Bathroom Spray - it comes in a blue coloured plastic see-through bottle and it's ALL you need. Seriously. Spray it on and take it off with kitchen paper.

It does the bath, you can spray it into the loo as well as on the seat/lid etc, it's fabulous on taps, great on the basin, you can use it on tiles, it's even fabulous on mirrors/glass and it's got a lovely minty smell. One of my friends commented the other day that my basin and taps were "sparkling"!! Fabulous product. I even use it to clean the lino floor ....

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I use Cilit Bang at the mo although will be switching to Mr M on CBH's recommendation!

I just scrub it once a week. Although it's 3 times a week at the mo with all these blimming house viewings!

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content

Ok - I now have some new products to think about. Love the sound of the Mr Muscle stuff - a minty smell would definitely be a novelty rather than the chemical haze I appear to have created today ?

Will also invest in the shower squeegee thingy and the Green mould stuff.

Don't think I'll manage to do it every day though - the thought brings me out in a cold sweat ?. I can safely safe I do not have OCD in bathroom cleaning related matters!

Will definitely introduce the idea of my eldest (4) wiping up his own seat splashes with a bleach wipe too. Although just getting him to flush is a major achievement ?

Thanks so much!

• Lili Donkey
    Beginner July 2006
    Lili Donkey ·
    • Hide content

I'm just about to do mine ?

I try to give it a proper clean once a week and then a wipe over every couple of days. I use Flash bathroom with Flash guard on EVERYTHING, I've tried a multitude of cleaners and find that one by far the best. Then I use a bleach spray and top up with Detol mould & mildrew remover around the shower.

Every couple of weeks I scrub the shower screen and taps with half a lemon and in-between showers we spray the screen with shower shine (think that's what it's called?!). I hate cleaning the bathroom but there isn't anything nicer than a big bubble bath right after it's been cleaned, I also love the smell of bleach so reward myself with a good snife once the cleaning is done ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics