Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2014

BBQ and Hog roast

RedRose14, 3 of October of 2013 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 0 23

We are planning on having a BBQ for our wedding breakfast, but love the idea of a hog roast...

Would having a hog roast in the evening be a bit too much meat with the BBQ do you think??

23 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveYellowFlowers58052, 1 of August of 2018 at 13:28
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

One or the other, in my opinion. It's just a bit "samey".

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Footers, I'd be sick of the sight of meat after a BBQ.

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think it's too much to have at both meals. We are having a hog roast in the day and then pizzas in the evening but I had a friend who had a hog roast in with a bbq for their wedding breakfast. She had the hog, then sausages, burgers as well and then all the salad/side bits which was really nice as it gave a big mixture of food so that is always an option. Otherwise I would say you need to think of something else for the evening. Hope this helps x

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    RedRose14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies, I was thinking it might be too much meat.

Any other ideas for evening food? Love the idea of pizzas too....... mmmm food! hehe Smiley smile

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

We're having a bbq and hog roast baps in the evening. Our bbq has steaks, sausages, minted lamb kebabs and a big paella, six hours later guests are haing the hog. They will all be half cut by then and will appreciate any food! I'm just not a fan of a traditional buffet, the hog will be served over an hour meaning no-one should miss out.

Not fussed if people think it is samey, our caterers Aussie Bbq company are great and would hate to be dealing with two different caterers for both day and then night.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps my comments re: samey come from the perspective of being a vegetarian.... Mmmmm, jacket potato and salad, maybe with some pasta. Oh look, more salad Smiley winking

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

For veggies we have halloumi and roasted vegetable skewers, the coleslaw, potato salad, breads and mixed salad and in the evening we have a choice between portobello mushroom baps or tomato and mozzerella bean burgers.

And I'm spending more on the veggie food as an upgrade to cater for my four veggies. x

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

RedRose, we went through so many options after deciding on pizzas as we don't have a massive budget. Our pizzas are being served for a camper van and are cooked in traditional wood burning ovens. It's very well priced too, it's about £700 to serve 140 guests (20 being kids) and its enough for each guest to have 3 big slices each. Me and the oh love pizza and figured that it would be a good match with the alcohol consumption lol. We also thought of fish & chips, the traditional buffet, a cheese cake teamed with bread, chutneys, pickles etc. X

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

Erm, veggies don't eat fish? If you're pescetarian it's ok, but not veggie......

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this! That's a bit like the French who think that vegetarians eat chicken!

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I think there a bit similar to have together.

We're having afternoon tea with a hog roast in the evening

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Lol salmon isn't a vegetarion option Smiley smile

To answer OP I also think it's a bit samey tbh. I think pizzas or something would be a better shout Smiley smile

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We had hog roast, rolls, potatoes, big green salad, side salads and sauces for meal 1.

Then fish and chips (proper-sized portions) with mushy peas and curry sauces and all the condiments for supper, and was pretty reasonable.

Both were supplemented with cheese, crackers, and breads. And dessert.

i definitely would couple a hog roast with a BBQ, even if you vary the components you end up with it having a very similar feel, I think.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I love BBQ and hope to have one for my reception (although they seem to have become popular) personally I wouldn't have a hog roast because I am a vegetarian and where as I dont mind people eating meet I could share my day with a huge dead animal that's staring at me *shudder*

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

I *think* (haven't confirmed yet) we are doing BBQ for wedding breakfast, followed by pizzas in the eve - NOM!

• NyamaCatering
    NyamaCatering ·
    • Hide content

We own an Outdoor Mobile BBQ Catering Company and on many occasions we've done a BBQ in the afternoon and late evening we did a Hog Roast. Its always been a Huge hit! Off course you need to have variety but saying that a Hog Roast and a BBQ is too "samy" doesn't make much sense! Especially if you're having Breads of some sort in the afternoon and Pizza in the evening. That would be "doughy". And Prawns on the BBQ in the afternoon with Fish and Chips in the evening would be "fishy"..Haha. Maybe I'm biased. Well most likely i AM biased. But the Hog Roasts these days are done on a Gas Rotisserie and can be compared with Bacon Butties, which has always been a great hit as an evening snack to soak up some booziness..

Certainly makes sense to make use of one caterer on the day. If it was me I would eliminate as much admin as possible and get as few suppliers in. If you can get one catering company to do the drinks, food, staff and whatever else they can do it certainly would make a lot of sense. Weddings can be stressful as it is, no need to over-complicate things with too many suppliers.

Again my biased opinion but having done Wedding Catering since 2003 maybe there's something to be learned from my honest opinion. ?

Also most Hog Roast wont be "in your face" they can be pretty discreet and if requested could be done out of eyesight. So you can still have your crackling without offending.

Most Hog Roast and BBQ Catering companies with good reputations will be able to offer Veggie AND Pescitarian alternatives.

My advice: Speak to your chosen BBQ / Hog Roast Catering company and let them come up with a varied menu that will cater to everyones taste and also see what other services they can provide to ensure minimum supplier hassles.

Hope someone finds this helpful!

• km329
    Savvy August 2021
    km329 ·
    • Hide content

If your into pizza I can highley reccommend Milo

mobile wood-burning pizza oven, DELISH and a massive hit at a wedding i went to Smiley smile

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Were having a BBQ buffet when we have our uk party with a pork shoulder carved like a hog roast served with buns and apple sauce so it's like a mini one could this be an option for u?

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I'd be happy at a wedding that had both! With other bits I don't think it's too samey and loads of different meat goes on a BBQ.

Just another idea though if your interested, we did a 'traditional' sit down meal only the main was posh pie and mash but anyway on the evening we had curry which went down really well. My hubby is a chef so we did all our own catering and it worked out really cheap to batch cook two big curries and rice and nann did the whole evening lot for £50 that was a chicken tikka masala and veggie bhuna Xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hog roast for the wedding breakfast and then a supper buffet with sausage and bacon sandwiches and potato wedges in the late evening.

The hog comes with bread rolls, roast potatoes, jacket potatoes, roasted peppers, greek salad, Mediterranean salad, apple sauce and assorted other sauces. We also get three other options with it and we've gone for Mediterranean vegetable lasagne, assorted pizzas (mix of meat and veggie) and steak and ale pie.

We don't have any guests who have any religious objection to pork and only have two vegetarians, who should be fine with the breakfast and can have wedges and wedding cake in the evening. The only other option for the supper buffet was pizzas again and as I'm allergic to tomatoes I wasn't prepared to give up my own evening meal!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a BBQ the pizza and chips for the evening. Our BBQ does include lots of salad, pasta salad, cous cous and jacket and wedge potato. You can make a BBQ more than just meat. We went for pizza and chips for the evening as we know after a few drinks our guests will want stodge!!! I went to a wedding that had bacon butties at night. They went down well xx

• E
    ExpensiveYellowFlowers58052 ·
    • Hide content

According to me, You are right. I totally agree with your whole point of view. But sometime, we expect more & few additional cusions in specific location. If you want to order in these type of various cusions. Thanks for sharing own query or point of view in front of us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics