Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner June 2012

BBQ reception around Colchester, Essex

Vahry, 28 February, 2011 at 11:11 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster Smiley smile

I'm looking for a reception venue that will let us have a relaxed outdoor BBQ for the wedding reception rather than forcing the seated X-course wedding breakfast on us (this is fine if you like that sort of thing, but it really isn't us). We're looking within 30 mins or so of Colchester Essex as my Mum is disabled and can't travel very far. We're doing our research on the net since we live quite far away so can't just pop in to places.

Has anyone got any suggestions or ideas as to where we should look? I'm having trouble finding places on the net so don't know if I'm really using the right search terms. We've got about £2k to spend on a BBQ and evening buffet for 60 peeps so should have thought we could find somewhere willing to take our cash Smiley winking We're looking at a Monday in June 2012

Any help very very much appreciated.

Thanks

15 replies

Latest activity by SusieWong, 28 February, 2011 at 17:53
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Have u tried Dove Barn? You can do your own catering there so works out cheap, is not far from Colchester, bout 20mins if that...

Also, Stoke By Nayland Golf Club let you do BBQs(we looked into this one!)......

Um.....try larger pub type places, they may offer a hire of their gardens etc....try Dedham, lovley place!

I live in ipswich, so 15min from colchester and if you google 'all manor of events' that brings up a nice venue where i think you can do what u like and isnt costly!

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vahry ·
    • Hide content

Hi, and thanks for your input Smiley smile

We have looked at Dove Barn but unfortunately it's £2k to hire alone which puts it out of our price range.

Stoke by Nayland is lovely too, and very flexible but also slightly out of our price range too with their midweek packages being £5k. I suppose it might be worth contacting them tho to see if there's any room for wiggle - is this the done thing?

Will defo look at that manor of all events place, looks intriguing, ty!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you never know!!

if i think of any more il let you know!

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vahry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks love Smiley smile Have contacted then to see if we can negotiate at all, now onto the other venue Smiley laugh

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I too am looking for something near Colchester, but only for maybe 30-40 people. Since a massive fight with MIL, I refuse to have a BBQ in their garden now! Let me know Vahry if you find somewhere.

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vahry ·
    • Hide content

Eek sorry to hear that! I will let you know Smiley smile Are you definitely after a BBQ too? Just asking cause I have a massive list of venues that don't do them, lol!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I'm actually get married in Sydney. Was going to have a blessing in UK, for friends & OH relatives that cant come to Sydney. Originally planned a church blessing, then restaurant/venue or BBQ in MIL enormous garden. Since a huge row at Christmas, I am off the idea of anything at their place. (She is very controlling would only have it her way.

I'm also off the idea of using their local church now too for a blessing. I did look at a few venues, incl woodhall manor in Suffolk. Problem is, most cater for 80-100 people and only 40ish would look silly is such large venuee. Maybe a restaurant somewhere?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

google CornWallis hotel in suffolk, its GORGEOUS, ,lovley grounds, situated just up the a140 and is perfect for smaller parties

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks flowmojo, am looking that one up now.

• PeteKelk
    PeteKelk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vahry,

Not exactly sure about the distance, but Little Easton Manor http://www.littleeastonmanor.co.uk/ is the place for you, even if it is a little bit more than half an hour, trust me Smiley smile

PK xxx

• PeteKelk
    PeteKelk ·
    • Hide content

Just Googled it... 51 mins. Is that too far?

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vahry ·
    • Hide content

Hi Peter,

No we'd be willing to stretch that far for the right place. However I did get a quote from this venue a while back and was told it'd be £1700+VAT to hire, which we just can't fit into our budget unfortunately Smiley sad

Thanks very much for the suggestion tho, appreciate it

• PeteKelk
    PeteKelk ·
    • Hide content

Ok, you could try:

http://www.colnevalleygolfclub.co.uk/

They were very reasonable, once upon a time... You never know, they may still be!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about a village hall? some are quite modern and mine has a huge patio and a kitchen that caterers could use to have a bbq

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vahry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Peter, have requested info Smiley smile

Yeah we have thought about village halls, problem is finding them since we have to do all our research on the net - sometimes it's hard to find ones that actually have info/pics on them online. Yours sounds lovely!

• SusieWong
    Beginner September 2011
    SusieWong ·
    • Hide content

Try the kingscliffe hotel, holland on sea, which is in clacton, we r having a bbq buffet, ours is indoors, but u never know they may have an outdoor option?? its Lauren who is co ordinating our wedding, good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics