Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amihohu
Beginner September 2013

bbq/hog roast experience

amihohu, 24 of May of 2012 at 10:41

Posted on Planning 38

Hello! I'm after peoples experiences with BBQ/Hog roasts/hot buffets for the main meal at a reception. The problem is, our guest list looks to be about 100 for the day, and although we'd love a sit down served 3 course meal, because of cost, we may have to look to doing a bbq/hog roast type thing....

Hello!

I'm after peoples experiences with BBQ/Hog roasts/hot buffets for the main meal at a reception. The problem is, our guest list looks to be about 100 for the day, and although we'd love a sit down served 3 course meal, because of cost, we may have to look to doing a bbq/hog roast type thing. Has anyone got any experience with how it works with a number around that large? We would ideally still like to have a table plan, and maybe for tables to be called up one at a time for their turn, but I don't know how well this works with 100 people? I'm a little worried that the first table will be on pudding before the last table has evening got up! If anyone has any suggestions/experience with this, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

38 replies

• clarksuz
    Beginner May 2013
    clarksuz ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding last year (done on a budget) where the main meal was a hog roast buffet - it worked wonderfully. Everyone got plenty of food and we all just chatted in the queue. There were lots of complements on the food too. They had a table plan, but we were just assigned a table not specific seats. The favours were pic a mix sweets so that was a nice cheap option too and was a big hit. She also had pop corn on the table as theme was old movies. That got eaten pretty quick :o).

I am going to have a cold buffet for my wedding - no starter as will have canapes. I've always wanted a buffet as it's a bit different to a 3 course meal and more variety of food. We are doing our own puddings (having a marquee in garden with friends doing catering) - going to do cream teas and cider (as we are in Devon) and key lime pie (as it's my fiance's favourite). And maybe a sausage board for the evening guest with any left over buffet.

I've waitresses for a few weddings before and always preferred the buffet ones. Just more variety.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? You what?!

You know that's not allowed, right?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

This has been an really informative and helpful thread for me as we're probably going to have a bbq/buffet type food so I now know the pitfalls to watch out for! Thanks ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

PAH! Well I did it anyway!!! ?

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second that, thanks everyone Smiley smile

• B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

It works fine, you just need a few hogs on the go at the same time. Only downside of a hogroast is the smell, it smells lovely and your starving before you've even had the service!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics