Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gemma
Beginner February 2022 Norfolk

Beach wedding in uk in the evening

Gemma, 27 of June of 2021 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 2 12
Soooo, I would like to get married on a beach local to us at around 8 or 9pm and just wondered if anyone knew if it was possible and if so, how would I go about arranging it please?

12 replies

Latest activity by Richard, 28 of June of 2021 at 20:01
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Currently you would have to first marry at a register office to be legally wed and then you will be free to use a celebrant on the beach.

• Gemma
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Is that cos it's in the open or could we get a registrar to come to the location?
    • Hide content

From July 1st you can marry outside BUT so long as it is in a space that is attached to a venue that already has a licence to conduct weddings inside, so they will be able to hold the wedding their garden for example. Also 8 or 9 pm you may find it tricky to get a registrar out.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I didn’t think you can get legally married that late. Also, even if you could the law change allowing outside weddings still requires you to be attached to a venue. Ie can’t do just a beach but potentially could do a beachfront hotel if they’ve got a private beach attached. Good luck
  • Gemma
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much.
    • Hide content

Actually you can get married at any time of day since a law change back in 2012. But I have never photographed a wedding ceremony any later than 5 pm as that is the last one my local authorities will conduct. And that is the issue - although you can do so, you are still limited by what time local authorities operate and they can not be forced to conduct later weddings.

The law used to be 6 pm which I think stems from an even older law if I remember the history correctly, that restricted weddings to daylight only meaning that you couldn't be married by candle light which I think was to do with identifying the couple correctly.

I would love to shoot a night time wedding looking something like this.

Beach wedding in uk in the evening 1

• Gemma
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    Beautiful pic. Thank you for replying. I literally have no idea where to start with this wedding. Pphasaperwoek etc. Lol 😂
    • Hide content

The law has only just been changed to allow marriages outside in England, it has been talked about for years but covid and the need to have space has hastened the change.

It used to be that you could get married outside but it had to be in a permanent structure such as the photo I posted, it could be open on all sides but must have a roof, I do not think there was any size restrictions so long as it can accommodate the couple and 2 witnesses and two registrars.

So the law change as from July now removes the need for a permanent structure.

Currently the words used reflect the law, as the registrar will say " this place in which we are met has been duly sanctioned for the solemnisation of marriages" (THIS PLACE ) for a long time there has been moves to change that to the person being "duly sanctioned" and not the place which would then allow people to be married anywhere -- like on the beach or a private garden.

• Gemma
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry so does that mean it could be a possibility?
    • Hide content

Yes its a possibility.

Now then in normal times I would say "don't hold your breath" because its been talked about for about 10 years but covid has put a rocket underneath the law makers so who knows.

But the law change just announced for july is only meant to be temporary - until April I think but in the meantime there is consultation as to weather to make it permanent. I am not sure if included in the consultation will be the question of the "person becoming duly sanctioned"

I have photographed the personal weddings of 2 of my local registrars - I will ask what they think will happen.

• Gemma
    Gemma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much. Wanna get married in Feb 2022 x
  • Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    Wont it be as dark at 4 or 5pm as it is 9pm on feb... That might help getting a registrar out

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics