Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner October 2011

been let down by photographer :( Help needed

narie, 6 September, 2011 at 21:39 Posted on Planning 0 13

We got a phone call (well voice mail) from our photographer today saying that she can no longer come and photograph our wedding. She isnt a company, she has completed a photography degree and was going to do it to get more experience. This was good as she was no where near as expensive as other photographers. We are now stuck! As we have only got a very small budget and we need a photographer for the 22nd oct!! We are in Ipswich, Suffolk. Any ideas of companies who have last minute availably packages? As I really can't stretch to what some companies ask. Can't believe this has happened!!

13 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 7 September, 2011 at 20:16
  • .adicat
    .adicat ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.sub500.co.uk has lots of photographers under £500 and some under £300 - good luck x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Narie......drop me an email. I have covered Ippy before (some images are on my site). The date is available and my prices are not as expensive as others despite my experience in weddings. At this stage before your wedding preparations, you need nothing to distract from the main event....Do drop me an email and I am sure that we can sort something......

Peter?

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Hi Narie

I'm sorry to hear that - I'd be tearing my hair out if I was you. We're using the following photographer on recommendation, for our big day - he's actually Ipswich based.

http://www.patrickstockleyweddings.com

I'm not sure if he does any last minute special offers but you can always drop him a message.

Good luck x

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to sounds like some kind of 'told you so' and I hope you find someone soon, but others should heed this as a warning, because even though I've only been a on some wedding forums 2 or 3 months now, I'm seeing so many cases like this.

'I've booked a non-professional and cheap photographer and now they have cancelled me last minute'

If any good is to come out of this, count your blessing you recieved a call before. Some couples I've read about simply just dont have the photographer show on the day.

I've glanced into a couple of photography forums and basically once a lot of these amateur photographers realise actually how difficult and how much work wedding photography is, compared to the small amount they are charging they simply realise its not worth it.

Better to book a proper pro this time, my photographer had basic packages starting from £300.00, including the disc.

Sorry, I'm not singling you out, its just that I cannot abide cowboys, and there seems to be so many photographers in the wedding industry.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

That seems a bit harsh sgreen everyones entitled to book who they want based on their budget.

Theres nothing wrong with booking someone who needs experience - there is more risk but its all buyer beware. I know 4 full time photography companies this year disappear and 1 last year.

I hope you find someone - to be honest you shouldnt have a problem as October is the start of the photography low season, If you explain your situation then im sure one or 2 will be sympathetic to your cause.

Just dont panic and take a good few days to ring around and asses your situation.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I agree Greenleaf, "I told you so" isn't very helpful.

As others have said, breathe! and then call around some nearby photographers, explaining what your budget it, and what sort of package you are hoping to get. They can only say no, and might have some suggestions of how to get what you need for the money you have x

• jeffshamphoto
    Savvy March 2015
    jeffshamphoto ·
    • Hide content

My good friend based near Cambridge might be able to help you.

We belong to the same professional wedding photography body, and he's very experienced and always has a calendar full of bookings.

Could give him a try though.

http://www.peterjohnphotography.co.uk/

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately they probably got a better offer and those without an established name have no name to trash so probably aren't too concerned about letting you down.

Try the sub500 lot as suggested or I'm 1k and available ?

Seriously though, I've seen so many togs complaining this year about a drop in business you should have no problem finding one...trouble is you want one really cheap who can do a competent job.

Those are harder to find.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I tried not to sound harsh, I really didn't want to come across like that, though I knew it was ineviatable.

But as I said I'm reading this everywhere and I hate the idea of people getting let down by companies. Sadly the OP has been put into a stressful sate now. I feel for her.

The point I was trying to make was that we shouldn't be giving these cowboys any work. I know how fustrating it is to find a good photographer, but there are loads out there, you just need to sort through all the dross.

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

This seems to be happening a lot. We shot a wedding for a Hitcher a few weeks ago, who's photographer let them down with 2 weeks to go. I do hope you get this sorted out, its a nightmare when suppliers drop you in it. If you don't get it sorted, drop me a line

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I have no problem with what sgreen said and whilst yes, it doesn't help the OP, if it makes others think carefully about their choice of photographer then it's a good message. She wasn't saying 'I told you so' it was more an 'it goes to show...' type message. Or at least this is how I read it.

We see so many posts on here about people in a dilemma over whether to hire a 'friend of a friend who does photography' or someone who is just starting out and the OP's situation is a really unfortunate example of the risks of choosing someone like this to do your pictures. I know price isn't a guanrantee of quality (in terms of the pictures or service) etc but experience and professionalism should be - I know pretty much exactly who will cover my wedding if my Tog can't for any reason and I know it's my Tog who will take on the stress of sorting that out so that I don't have to.

Saying this doesn't mean I feel any less gutted for the OP - it's horrible for her and I sincerely hope she can find someone to cover her wedding and give her beautiful pictures as a reminder of her big day.

• N
    Beginner October 2011
    narie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the replies. I have looked at a few of these links and have got a couple of connectiions via work so I am sure I can sort something out.... back to work today so a bit manic! A weekend job this will be I think Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hopefully you are now a little more relaxed and at ease about the situation?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics