Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Being bipolar/having a personality disorder

Hoddy, 12 February, 2013 at 12:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I'm pretty sure everyone has enough to deal with in their lives but I need help and wanted to ask you on here. Please, please, please try not to judge me.

For a couple of years now I've been showing signs that something may not be right, and it's gotten worse since I moved in with OH (around 8 months ago), like I have no control over my mood swings. I go from being overly excited and happy and loving to not caring at all and feeling hatred for everyone. My Mum, sister and OH have all recently expressed concern for me being bipolar (or similar) and my mum has booked me in at the doctors for 2 weeks time.

So here goes,

I often kick off for the slightest things and blame anyone who is in sight. And when this happens I get SO mad, so angry and it is uncontrollable and I don't even feel like I'm me when it happens. OH gets the worst of it and I have verbally abused him multiple times, accused him of cheating and not loving me (even though it is clear to everyone that he adores me..) and then afterwards I cuddle him and tell him I love him and it's like nothing happened. But it DID happen. Our relationship is so strange because of me. Like I'm allowed a day off to sit and do nothing but if I get home and he hasn't washed up I tell him off. Why do I have the right to sit on my a*se all day and he can't? WHY DO I GET LIKE THIS?

I seem to develop a problem with someone before knowing them that well. Like I can't enjoy the company of anyone. I just instantly don't like them because I cannot trust what they are going to say/do or talk about me.

I'm constantly paranoid people are staring at me. I've got a real fear of death which I think is why I like to rush my life. For example I want to have children, get married etc just so that I have done it and I don't need to worry about not getting the chance to do it.

I spend large sums of money without thinking first, for example spending £3k on a car that I really shouldn't have bought (I'm still a student).

I feel I can't concentrate at uni and despite being in my 2nd year I tell people that I haven't learnt anything as it just doesn't sink in. I don't even know how I've passed exams.

I feel unworthy to be a fiance, to be a daughter, to be a student at uni, to be an employee.

I've always been a negative person as I feel it's better to deal with getting bad news after expecting bad news than it is to receive it in the belief it would be okay.

On the other side, people see me as an overly happy individual who gets a bit excited when around people and makes people laugh. I often tell people things I shouldn't (that are personal to me) and I'm ALWAYS talking about myself. For example my mum was ill over the weekend (flu) and she was telling me how rubbish she felt and I just changed the subject back to the wedding fair I had been to that day. She said to me today she was really hurt by that but I didn't even realise I had done it until I thought about it when she said that. People who aren't close to me see a completely different woman to the ones who I love.

I could carry on all day with the problems I am having but it would bore you. Really I just want to know if anyone else has felt like this, what it was, how they managed it etc. Even if it is a relative.

I'm so sorry for the essay.

14 replies

Latest activity by Hoddy, 12 February, 2013 at 16:26
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Not to belittle your problem, but are you on the pill? This is exactly how I felt on microgynon. I felt like I had a split personality. Hyper one minute, crushing depression the next. Screaming at OH, then crying, telling him to leave then begging him to stay. When I switched I finally felt 'normal' again.

If not, then you should speak with your GP, or print this out and show them.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Hi, thanks so much for commenting. Makes me feel slightly better that I'm not alone on here!

How does your H deal with it? My OH says most days 'when is the girl I fell in love with going to come back?' but I can't answer that. I love him so much but I can't properly show it. He doesn't deserve to be treated the way I treat him but I simply just can't stop as it happens before I even realise I have done it.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, I'm not on the pill currently. Not taking any medication in any way at the moment. My appointment with my GP is Monday 25th and I'm scared already. I don't really want to go but my mum is insisting and I don't want to treat people like this.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

No answers or even any real help, but I certainly wouldn't judge you at all and well done for agreeing to see a Dr. Hope you find that helpful and get some treatment (if that's what you need) and support from all those who love you - and from the OT gang of course.

Keep us updated.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Again this is hard, because it feels to us both that I am in a negative mood much more often than I am positive. And he always has to do what I want him to do otherwise I get mad. Like last night he wanted to put top gear on that he missed on sunday. I told him no, we can watch that thursday with our dinner and now you can come upstairs with me and talk about wedding colour themes. It's only now I'm thinking about it that I realise what a nasty thing that is to do, stopping someone from doing what they want to do with their evening off and making them feel they have to do what I want. If he was to say no i'd say 'So you don't care about our wedding then? You don't want to marry me?' and i'd kick off. ☹️

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your advice, enterflora, it's really helped. I'll have to have a chat to him and see how he really feels about it all. Although we have discussed what could be wrong he hasn't actually been asked what he is feeling. I'd hate for him to be putting himself out and feeling rubbish just to keep me happy.

I'll keep you updated.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

When you start to analyse behaviour patterns and actions, it's easy to lump everything in as part of the issue. Did I do X because of Y? It's brave of you to open up but I think you are worrying about TOO much.

Things that I think are pretty normal behaviour for everyone at various times in their life and that you should therefore dismiss as transient and separate to the core issue:
    Doing nothing all day then getting grumpy when others do the same - perfectly normal (if irrational - that you recognise this is good)
    Fear of death - perfectly normal (you will find a coping mechanism)
    Spending stupidly - perfectly normal (as long as you're not living in the gutter - again, that you recognise it is good)
    Second year slump at uni - perfectly normal (it WILL get better)
    Being self-centred - perfectly normal (for some, it even comes naturally! Smiley smile )
    Being a negative person - perfectly normal (there ARE "glass half empty" people)

All of the above have applied to me at some point in my life - some still do - and I don't consider them a sign of any wider problem.

Things that trigger concern:
    Recent onset of radical mood swings - not normal
    Feeling of detachment from your emotions - not normal (assuming you haven't recently suffered a massive period of grief/etc?)
    Withdrawal from forming relationships with people/suspicion of others - not normal (assuming you haven't always been like this?)

Assuming you aren't taking medication, on any kind of illegal substance or abusing alcohol, these are definitely the key things you need to focus on with your doctor. Don't sweat the small stuff - you need to recognise the real problems and convey them properly (so that you don't feel like you've just rambled about spending too much!). Perhaps make a list to take with you, similar to what you've written above?

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Wise words from the others. My husband has BPD and personality disorders are something that develop from childhood so if this is something that has come on recently then BPD seems unlikely. However I'm not a psychiatrist, and whether it's BPD, bipolar or something else entirely, if it's affecting your happiness and relationships as much as it seems to be then you need to speak to your doctor and get yourself some help. ?

And please don't worry about opening up on here, no one judges on Hitched (unless you happen to be a massive fan of money poems...)

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

This does not sound like classical bipolar behaviour. Although people commonly perceive bipolar to mean "mood swings" - it's really much more than that and very different - there are weeks/months long phases of either depression or mania, rather than switching between them over the day ("rapid-cycling" bipolar does exist, but again, the features don't really fit with what you're describing). The psychotic features of bipolar affective disorder are also complex and the fact you're displaying very good insight into what you're doing is another count against this being the likely problem - though I'm not a psychiatrist. I'd also be wary of labelling yourself with anything, whether a personality disorder or any other psychiatric illness; once you get a feeling that something is "wrong" then it's far too easy to use the internet to over-analyse every little thought/feeling that you have and link it to your self-diagnosis.

That said, it does sound like your thoughts and behaviour are causing problems for you and your closest relations, so it's definitely worth seeking help. Good luck!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Talking of it happening in the past, I have been previously been referred for counselling by my GP due to things I can't really post on here. I wouldn't link what happened to what is going on with me now, though.

Now to try and reply to everyone's posts!!

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown:

Yes I totally agree. It wasn't me who thought 'oh maybe I've got something wrong' it was actually my sister who had seen the way I behave who then confronted me about it, and it turns out OH and my mum have also been thinking it but were 'too scared' of my reaction to tell me. Which makes me feel really sad.

I will take a list, that's a good idea. Thank you very much for the advice Smiley smile Maybe I am just worrying over nothing but as you've said it is best to speak to the dr just in case.

Peanut L&L:

Thank you for your advice. Smiley smile It is the problem with upsetting those close to me and obviously I don't want to be pushing people who mean everything to me away.

& Are these 'money poems' the ones about wanting money instead of gifts at the wedding? I have seen so many and they make me cringe so bad.

Helenia:

The reason I have good insight is because I have been told how I've been acting and I am now realising what I have been doing all this time. I never thought about it until those closest to me each said their bit, and it turns out I'm actually evidently a pretty nasty person.

And as for the labelling thing yes, although I've never made myself a victim of this before I know how easy it can be to self diagnose (and be completely wrong). That's why it's a trip to the GP for me.

Thank you everyone for wishing me good luck, I will make up a list of all the problems I believe I have had to take to the dr with me, and I will update you how it goes. Feeling much better knowing I have everyone here to talk to ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics