Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner March 2013

Being called 'the wife/mrs' when not married..

Chedi, 11 of November of 2012 at 21:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

..does that bug you when men do that? I caught my OH calling me 'the mrs' once, before we were even engaged and he had a speaking too - if he wants to call me that, he has to want to marry me first! More and more though, I see men doing this to their partners who again aren't married and their partner doesnt seem bothered.

Is it just me that gets annoyed by it?

I just think its a cheeky way to pretend to have something without putting the effort or commitment in...

24 replies

Latest activity by FaeBelle13, 12 of November of 2012 at 12:58
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I think sometimes it's about getting respect and validating the relationship. Boyfriend can mean someone you've known less than a week. Partner means nothing outside business terms. In the run up to our wedding I did occasionally refer to OH as my husband, especially when dealing with utilities companies, mortgage companies etc etc. I'm not sure if he did the same, but I wouldn't have minded - to me it's proof that we DO see each other that way.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

It's never bothered me tbh.

I don't really see it as them trying to pretend they're married - I think it's just a term of identification. My H would refer to all his mate's girlfriends as 'Tom's missus', 'Dave's missus' for example.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Never bothers me, not that he calls me it much but it wouldn't.

I'm often referred to as the bosses wife etc as I occupy that role at formal occasions even though we're not yet married.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I object far more to being called "the..." anything, regardless of whether married or not - it seems rather blokish and dismissive.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

OH has always called me his missus, I don't mind. I don't think he has ever referred to me as 'the' anything though.

• catarina
    Beginner
    catarina ·
    • Hide content

Nah, I quite liked it, H used to do this to me - in fact it was more his friends and my friends, but even so, it made me feel special, and that I was more than 'just' a girlfriend.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

He says 'my other half' to people he isn't familiar with and uses my name otherwise.

I do the same or sometimes my fella if I am feeling cool and hip :-D haha

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't bother me what I get called, sometimes it's just easier! on holiday one of the hotel staff said to me 'and one for your husband...?' and I just said yes. I presume he would do the same in the reverse situation.

On the other hand though my flatmate has unsucessfully tried to pick up a parcel for me from the post office for me, and when I went in the next day the lady said "Oh yes your husband was in yesterday looking for it" I was so confused but then just said yes too I don't want her not to give him a parcel in future! - so I'll be anyone's wife it would seem!

I use his surname when booking things like meals for both of us, but I also sometimes use it for things when it's just me, as my surname is terrible! My friend found this out and though it was terrible, just like calling someone wife/husband before they are I suppose!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I don't think my H ever called me 'the wife' before or after we were married.

I do get unnecessarily annoyed by a friend of mine who has been engaged for years and refers to her boyfriend as her husband. Not sure why it annoys me so much but it does!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd get annoyed with this too, suppose because she hasn't made the actual effort to get married she isn't allowed to use it! May sound hypocritical in light of what I said earlier, but I'm not engaged yet, and it's an occasional thing for me to use it. I don't see the point in overly long engagements!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I always saw it as "missus" as opposed to "Mrs" - i.e. just a lads way of saying the other half.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

It really didn't bother me before and it didn't now. I really don't see my feminine independence threatened by being referred too as 'the mrs/missus'

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

An ex-boyfriend used to refer to me as "Mar Laydee" (say that in a really thick Stoke accent for full effect). Made me cringe. H calls me "Er Indoors", which is marginally better!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in this camp. "The missus" has a different feel to it than "my missus"(IMO). Not that I like either. H never called me this before we were married and would say "my wife" now. Anything else and he knows he'd get The Look.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

OH used to call me the Missus when we first got together which I didnt mind but I did say to him that he can't really call me that unless he marries me... So he started referring to me as his Julie. All of his friends now call me Julie.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Although I would find it a bit odd if people who weren't actually married referred to each other as 'husband' and 'wife'. It wouldn't 'bother' me IYSWIM, people can do what they like, but I'd think it a little strange.

My aunty (dad's sister) calls my mum 'wifey' instead of her name... started out as just taking the pee (my mum isn't a 'housewifely' kind of woman) and it's stuck!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

A guy I work with calls his partner 'her indoors' - I hate it. Mind you, I also can't stand him as he's one of the most annoying people I've ever met.

H got told about referring to me as 'the wife' or 'the missus' before I actually was his wife, but I do understand that it was just easier to describe me as that to people.. Actually still don't like it as it sounds a bit like he's calling me his possession

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

"missus" just seems normal to me. H will use it to refer to a brand new girlfriend or a wife when referring to his friends.

H's brother really annoys me when he calls his girlfriend his wife. They have been together for 6 years and have two children, but they are not married. Of course that's fine, but she is not your wife, why are you calling her that? He annoys me generally so perhaps this is just a disproportionate annoyance!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My H refers to me as "my wife" when talking about me. Although he has a professional job, where "the lads" don't banter about their Wife, it's all very respectful. Changes when he's home though ?

I refer to him as "My worst half".

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I don't really mind being called 'the mrs' i think that term is just used for long term girlfriend, partner is too formal.

What does annoy me, is my BIL, he calls his girlfriend his wife. They have broken up more times than I can remember and I just find it really irritating. They have no intention of getting married and sometimes cant even stand to be in the same room as each other. Losers

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics