Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

50's pin up bride
Beginner July 2012

Bespoke dress but not happy - where do I stand?

50's pin up bride, 6 April, 2012 at 11:07 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm quite cross as I feel I've been 'tricked' a little bit by the dress shop, but I don't know if it was intentional or not. Basically the history is this:

I'd chosen my dress online from Honeypie Boutique, and the dress plus ribbon sash plus relevant petticoats came to a total of £250 tops. Our budget, which we set early on, was based around this fact. Myself and my sister (MoH) then went to a wedding fayre to look for other things, and a prom dress caught my eye - it was GORGEOUS. The dress shop owner was there and asked me if I'd sorted my dress blah blah blah - the gorgeous prom dress was £450 and could be made in any colour. I arranged to visit the shop 2 days later.

At the shop, I pointed out that I had already set my budget at £250, but could scrape together (literally!) an extra £200 so could, at absolute maximum, afford the prom dress - but that it MUST come with all petticoats etc, no extras. I tried it on, and the bridal version (designer makes both) and loved the bodice. The skirt was too long, but I knew this as I wanted something to finish just on my knee (the dress was ballerina length). The Dress Shop Lady said she felt if the skirt was shortened (which was 7 layers of tulle!) it wouldn't have enough weight to hold it down so would look a bit 'tutu-ish'. I agreed, and DSL showed me another dress by the same designer with a full circle satin skirt (I wanted full circle as going fifties theme).

We then sat down and 'designed' a dress, as follows:

- Bodice from the dress I tried on (in ivory), but I wanted a laced up / corseted back instead of zip.

- Satin circle skirt (ivory), with a couple of layers of net attached to make it more full, but NOT 7 layers!!

- Seperate red petticoat - I wanted it seperate as I hope to use the dress again, and didn't want to be tied to always having a red contrasting colour.

- The petticoat would sit 2"-3" lower than the dress skirt - I stated that I wanted a 27" petticoat. DSL measured this on me while I was wearing the dress and hitched it up to that height - I stated that was 'perfect'.

- The original prom dress had a number of contrasting coloured fabric flowers across the body and down the skirt - again, we ordered these 'freelance' (meaning not stitched onto the dress) in red, so I could remove them if I was wearing the dress with a different accent colour.

I then went home, with DSL planning on calling the designer to find out if they could do the above, and what price. She called me 2 days later to say they could do it all, still for £450. She did say that their in-house seamstress might have to do the lace-up bodice, but I commented at that point that I definitely couldn't go over £450 and she said, 'that's fine, don't worry, it'll all be perfect!'I had to pay 50% at that point, which was expected.

Fast forward 5 months (a fristration in itself as I was told 12 weeks, 16 absolute maximum) and I go to see dress. It's currently got a zipped bodice, the petticoat is lovely but WAY too long (ankle length!), the dress has no built in petticoats at all and is also ankle length. The DSL wasn't there, her business partner / main manager was there and so was the seamstress, and they said the seamstress would do all alterations. I was then told I had to pay the balance there and then, which I wasn't told when I booked the appointments, but fortunately was able to. The manager tried to get me to pay more than the expected £225 (she didn't say how much, she just said 'Oh, there's lots of extras because the designers changes a lot for you') which I refused to pay, so I just paid the £225 balance.

I'm really worried that the seamstress is going to charge me a lot to shorten both dress and petticoat, even though I asked for it to be made in the shorter length (and as the whole dress was made bespoke, that should have been easy!). I'm quite cross that the skirt itself doesn't have any petticoats, because I HAVE to wear it with the red petti or it is totally flat. I'm worried I'll be charged a fortune to have the back made into a laced back, but that was my primary requirement of my wedding dress so I don't want to go without!

My first official fitting with the seamstress is mid-May, 9 weeks before the wedding. I'm really worried - part of me wants to demand my money back and order a honeypie dress (can I? The dress is not what I asked for - how do I prove this?) - but if I go down that road it needs to be ASAP as honeypie need 10-12 weeks plus postage time AND I'd want to allow fitting time (although do know a good local seamstress) and the wedding is 15 weeks away.

Cookies if you got to the end of that lot!!

8 replies

Latest activity by 50's pin up bride, 6 April, 2012 at 18:59
  • honeysparkle
    Beginner June 2012
    honeysparkle ·
    • Hide content

Sounds to me like with the skirt lenght they've measured in cm but not stated that so has been done in inches 27" is about 68.5cm so 68.5inches would be very long. Do you have paperwork of what was agreed? if so you could take that to the shop next visit and they might do all the exttras and alterations. but I'd imagine (don't know though) that if it's not as is on the paperwork then you probably can cancel for refund

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

Ooh dear, sorry you're having all this bother with your dress!

Agree if you have any paperwork which refers to any aspect of your agreement, the design etc that will make it easier as you have proof.

I would initially arrange to meet with the Dress Shop Lady, to make it completely clear how unhappy you are about the dress, and find out what they are expecting you to pay. If you don't have any written proof of the design/ cost agreed they may try to tell you that you did agree to to something you haven't- if so turn it around and ask to see THEIR proof that they are charging you what was quoted.

When it comes to alterations, the ideal scenario is that you don't have to pay to fix their mistake i.e. they should cover the costs of getting it like you asked. If they refuse to do this, find out what they want to charge you and compare it to the cost of taking it to the local seamstress.

There is nothing to stop you from asking for a refund, but it's unlikely they would agree (again as before unless you can prove they haven't delivered what you ordered). You could however potentially sell the dress on yourself, though you may not be able to do so quickly enough to pay for another dress.

I would recommend you read up on your rights from a trading standards perspective, and perhaps even give trading standards a call as they can help you to understand your options legally.

Good luck getting it sorted- I very nearly ordered a Honeypie Boutique dress myself but went with something from Courtesan Boutique instead (they are really reasonable too, might be worth a look as mine was £200, with some built in petticoats)

Nicky

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't given a copy of the order form (I know, I know ? ) but I did have 2 witnesses when we went through it. The problem I have from an 'evidence' point of view is that subsequent discussions took place over the phone.

I've just phoned them and they are saying that they will definitely charge me more for all alterations which was NOT agreed - I am gutted (and skint!)

I don't know if I can insist on my money back when it was made to measure.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

They've now admitted fault on the lack of built-in petticoats and the length of both dress and separate petticoat, and are sending that back to the designers immediately to be sorted.

However, they're denying the agreement to have the laced bodice and saying I'll have to pay extra - they gave a ballpark figure of £50, but I will have a concrete figure before the seamstress even touches it. In the meantime I can contact other seamstresses and get some quotes, as I'm not obliged to get theirs to do it.

I'm still very upset as they got a bit nasty about my weight as well (I'm size 16 so not massive, but ordered it in a size 16 which it turns out is more like a high street 14 - I'm dieting!) and tried to suggest the length would have been ok if they could have zipped it up (!! This was before they checked the length with a tape measure and realised their error!)

ARGH!!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What size did you try it on at? Will it zip up as it is?

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm not worried about the size, it was the insinuation that it would magically be over a foot shorter if it had zipped up! I am having my first proper fitting in 6 weeks and know it'll fit if I lose a stone - I put a lot of weight on when immobile after an accident so know what my 'normal' measurement are at a certain weight.

• G
    Beginner December 2012
    Gemicle ·
    • Hide content

Holy moly, are you feeling any better now you know it'll be fixed? if not tell them - and maybe check your insurance, not sure what you'd need to prove it's not what you ordered.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! Ask for an appointment with then shop owner, and ask her how there are more charges when you clearly explained your budget of £450 and she said the designer could do it for that? I'm sure if you make enough fuss, they wont want bad publicity from you bad mouthing them, so cause a little stink and see where it gets you. Be calm but explain you had agreed the petticoats, length and lace back over the phone and don't expect to pay extra for what you had originally ordered. Will they provide what they had promised or will they refund some for you to pay someone professional to turn it into what you had ordered? Give them the options, it cant really get any worse

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Apparently the shop owner will be 'off work' for some time (hinted at months) as she's just had major surgery.

I'm feeling a bit better knowing the ivory petticoats will be attached to the dress, and that the dress and separate petticoat will be shortened to the correct length (and I keep obsessively measuring myself now to check I've given them the right length - I have!) but it seems there really is no way round the laced back.

They're saying it wasn't on my order form and was always an 'optional extra', and I'm saying it should have been included - neither of us can prove we're right (the order form was filled in over the phone so I never saw it completed, nor have I signed anything or recieved any copies) and now I've paid the £450 I guess I'm stuck. I'll be going in mid-May to meet with the seamstress and have an official fitting; at that point, the seamstress will talk through the options for converting the back to lace up and will give me a set cost before she does any work. If I'm not 100% happy with what she's offering (or it's ridiculously overpriced) then I can just take my dress home then and find someone else to do it.

I've emailed 2 other freelance seamstresses / dressmakers, and have been given a contact for a 3rd so am trying to get quotes from them, as I've lost faith in the dress shop and just want the dress in my hands so I know I've got it! The dress shop manager gave me a ball park figure of £50 based on what the seamstress has charged to convert some other dresses from zips to lace, and my darling H2B has offered to pay it as I was so upset earlier, but if she tries to charge loads more than that I can't justify it. Worse case senario I'll have to live with the zip, but I'll be really disappointed as the laced back was literally the only fixed feature that I've wanted in a wedding dress since being little!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics