Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Curious July 2023 East Central London

Best friend competing with my wedding

Honey, 30 of October of 2022 at 19:04 Posted on Planning 0 9
Just looking for some unbiased advice!

My best friend is getting married 3 months after me and I thought our planning together would be fun, but it’s actually making me very stressed and anxious. Firstly, she is adamant that she has to have “the best instagram-worthy” wedding ever. I got engaged in Santorini whilst on holiday, so she has now booked her wedding there specifically because I got engaged there (she wasn’t interested in Santorini before, hasn’t even been to Greece). She then booked her hen party 2 weeks before mine, therefore we cannot even go to each others (hen party is also abroad and she’s kicked off at people for dropping out due to costs/friends getting pregnant). She’s now fuming because she’s hardly got anyone going to her wedding because they are pregnant and/or can’t afford it. She’s been nothing but negative about her other best friends wedding, bitching about the whole day and saying how spectacular and perfect hers will be in comparison. I’m extremely happy with my local seaside wedding, I have all my family attending and that’s what matters most to me than picture perfect instagram. I just don’t like this competitive “mines going to be earth shattering” attitude making me feel like mine could be second best!
She is not my bridesmaid. The last straw is her booking a makeup artist for herself for MY WEDDING to look amazing. She also asked what wedding ring I liked and I showed her, she’s now gone and got the same one…..
It’s all got very annoying and I’m struggling to deal with her princess like attitude. I’m anxious that she’s going to be judging my wedding all day whilst there like she did for her other friend. I’m starting to wonder whether she fake, or just self-centered.
Am I right to be feeling on edge?

9 replies

Latest activity by Emily, 2 of November of 2022 at 19:40
  • K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    Okay I had to take a deep breath reading this because what you're describing is so triggering because I've experienced similar.

First off, you need to stop sharing any details with this woman. Whatever friend you might have once had, has now been replaced with a full on Bridezilla! Unless you're willing to discuss this with her and try and communicate how you feel and what's been happening, it won't stop and you'll just be stressed out.

Don't share details, stop planning with her and personally, I would reconsider spending any time with her until you've either had the talk with her or decided to distance yourself. Be thankful she's not in your bridal party because things could have been so much worse!
    As for her judging your wedding, there's nothing you can do about that. Leave her to her misery, because that's what she's guaranteeing herself... a lifetime of unhappiness because she cares more about her wedding aesthetic than her friends and family, oh and it sounds like she doesn't really understand the concept of there being a marriage after the wedding?!
    Imagine a worst case scenario... she constantly competes with you if you stay "friends".... kids, new house, holidays, anniversaries? That is not a friend and this is not how a BFF acts.
    Regarding the MUA, I wouldn't worry really. Not defending her but loads of people hire experts (MUA/hair/stylist) for big events. What you need to consider is why she's making your day all about her and letting you know about it?! I'd be inclined to check and see that she's not wearing white or anything inappropriate. Call me over cautious but I've read too many wedding drama and AITA threads of FB and Reddit about this kind of behaviour!
    You deserve to have a friend who is supportive and loving. If you provide that to her and she doesn't reciprocate that is not a friendship.
    I hope you get it sorted and you get to enjoy the rest of your wedding planning.
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with Kyla - loop this 'friend' out right now!

I'd also use this as an opportunity to consider whether she truly is a friend, is this behaviour out of character since she became engaged, or does she have a history of this? It might be that this situation is the trigger you need to step away from this friendship... big events be they weddings, break ups, promotions, kids, etc. etc. often bring out people's true colours and show you who your real friends are and who's bringing stress/negativity into your life.

• H
    Honey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for responding!

I’m really hoping this bridezilla act disappears once the wedding has finished. Although, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford hers which will cause tension no doubt 😬
  • H
    Honey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She’s always been OTT and competitive, shes fallen out with so many people before. Other than the wedding stress, the friendship is lovely so I’m hoping bridezilla will go once the wedding has finished. Thank you so much for replying!
  • K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really am sorry you're having to manage this plus your own wedding. Anyone having an international wedding should understand that the expense will prevent some guests from coming. I hope it all goes well!
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

She can't really be mad about the people not being able to afford it when its only 3 months after they've forked out to attend your wedding too (also hers will be a lot more expensive as its abroad)

however with regards to the MUA I've always gone to an MUA and had my hair done to attend a friends wedding so I wouldn't think too much on that x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Just remind yourself that it takes two to make a competition - if you are happy with your wedding as it is, then it doesn't matter how big or eye-catching her wedding is (or what she thinks of your wedding). Just ignore her and enjoy your day,

I agree that it would be a good idea to dial back on the friendship until both weddings are done - and definitely stop sharing wedding details with her. You don't have to do it in a nasty way - something like 'oh, that's a surprise' or 'we're keeping that a secret until the big day' makes it clear you're not sharing without sounding rude.

I do question how much of a 'good friend' she really is though - I know some people can temporarily lose their heads when they start wedding planning, but full-on bridezillas are usually not kind-hearted and considerate people in 'real life'. Maybe it's time to do some hard thinking about the quality of this friendship.

• Iona
    Beginner September 2022 South East London
    Iona ·
    • Hide content
    I would distance yourself from her right now, focus on your wedding prep and spend time with your bridesmaids and then maybe if she's pulled herself together after she's married you can reconnect
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    When she asks you things, tell her the total opposite of what you actually booked!!!
    Then see how much copy cat she does..... 🤣
    Inta is not real life. You sound so much more down to earth and will have a fun and chilled wedding. Sounds like bridezilla will just be very stressed and anxious.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics