Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner September 2018

Best Friend missing wedding

RomanticBrownCakes651, 28 of August of 2016 at 20:47 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi,

So one of my best friends and her OH have the same relationship anniversary as me and my Fiancé, they are getting married on that date in 2017 and I am a bridesmaid, when I asked if she would mind us getting married on the same date 2018 she was fine about it, yet she has just text me to say that they want to go away rather than attend our wedding. Me and my fiancé are really upset, given that we are more than willing to forgo our anniversary celebrations to attend their wedding. Am I being completely irrational getting upset about this? We understand it will probably be the first of many people that cannot attend, it's just upsetting given we consider them close friends and we wouldn't miss their wedding for anything. Advice on how to deal with this would be great!

Thanks Smiley smile

4 replies

Latest activity by 2BMrsC, 30 of August of 2016 at 21:47
  • D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I can see why you might be upset, especially if she's said she's fine about sharing her wedding anniversary. Having said that, if you're that set on the date then you might just have to accept that it's also their first anniversary and they likely envisioned their own plans. It's a shame but do you really want someone there who will be wishing they were somewhere else?

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I can understand why this would upset you. I get that it's their first wedding anniversary so would want to celebrate but if that was the case then she should have told you that when you checked with her. You could politely remind her that you did check with her first and she was fine with it and that you went ahead with the date because she said it was fine. Other than that all you can do is express your disappointment to her that she won't be there and leave the decision to her. She might change her mind after her own wedding.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Aww, this is sad Smiley sad I can understand why she would want to celebrate her first anniversary, but does she have to celebrate on that exact weekend? She will have a lifetime of anniversaries to celebrate on 'the right day' in the future, but you only get one wedding day. If she can't nudge her first anniversary celebrations back or forward by one weekend to make room to attend your wedding day, I think that's a shame. How many of us have had a milestone birthday fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday and had to spend the 'day of' at work, and had to wait a few days until the weekend to celebrate? It's not unusual. If she'd always planned to be away that weekend, she should have told you when you first asked her about it so you could have chosen a different wedding date.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I agree with LucyJo, it'd be such a shame for her to miss it. Hopefully once she is married & out of the whole wedding planning bubble, she'll reconsider & realise she's got lots more opportunities to go away to celebrate her anniversaries.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I can't think of a nicer way to celebrate a first anniversary than being at my best friends wedding- I'm so sorry your friend doesn't feel the same way ☹️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics