Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner May 2016

Best friend refusing to come to my wedding

Aishab2201, 31 of May of 2015 at 11:09 Posted on Planning 0 3

I have been with my partner for almost 3 years, and we literally just in the last month started planning our wedding.

it has been up and down for various reasons, but I love him to bits and can't wait to be married.

My best friend of 30 odd years hates him, and now is refusing to be my maid of honour as she thinks it's a disaster waiting to happen and we'll be divorced within a year.

They have never gotten on, they completely clash personalities. I accept that they will never be friends, and that's fine.

Im gutted and angry she won't attend, it's my wedding, and think she should be there to support ME. I've gone through ALOT of stuff with her, supported her at her lowest points and always been by her side when she needed me.

I don't want to lose her but she cannot make me choose between my future husband and her, can she?

3 replies

Latest activity by MadamRed, 31 of May of 2015 at 19:19
  • AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about this, such an awful situation to be in! I dont think your friend can force you to choose between her and your husband to be, but if she has been a shoulder to cry on during your relationship troubles, then she may have her own reasons for not wanting to attend the wedding. Aside from the wedding/marriage, does she still want to continue the friendship?

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

She obviously has her reasons for disliking him but then YOU are her friend, you are best friends and in my opinion she should be there for you. It's not fair of her to say that it will last a year, is she married or with someone? Could it be jealously? X

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to say to her that you are really sad that she cannot support you at this time but that if she really feels that way, then you will just have to get married without her. She is trying to use emotional blackmail to stop you from marrying your OH and that isn't fair.

Only you can decide between them and yes, I do think it comes down to that, but you don't have to make a final choice - tell her that you are now and always will be her best friend and that you would much rather have her by your side, but that the wedding is going ahead regardless. Then allow her to make her choice and accept it either way.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

You say she's refusing to be your MOH, but has she actually said she's refusing to come to the wedding at all?

I think you need to talk this through with her with you both staying calm. I have friends in a similar situation to your best friend. They haven't said anything to him, but they've confided to me that they feel that it would be hypocritical of them to turn up to what they think is their friend making the biggest mistake of his life. They aren't sure whether to go, to support their friend, and plaster fake smiles on their faces, or to tell their friend how they feel and stay away from the wedding. It's a slightly different scenario to yours - I don't know the couple particularly well personally, but I understand there may have been abuse involved - but I've seen first-hand how conflicted people in that situation can feel.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics