Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shnarfy1
Beginner November 2010

Best man cancelled.

Shnarfy1, 31 October, 2010 at 18:06 Posted on Planning 0 19

Yep, 2 weeks before the wedding and he cancels. Aside from my parents, he was the first person to know about the wedding. We bent over backwards for this guy, we were letting him stay at our home, we were going to feed him for free, the only expense he was going to incur was his transport. We have been asking for months for him to book tickets to avoid any sudden hike in prices, everytime he told us he would do it and everytime he procrastinated. I always had my doubts about him coming, he's the most unreliable person I have this misfortune of knowing, hence why we badgered him for so long to buy the tickets. That would have been a shred of commitment to the wedding. But no, everything in his life is more important than his best friend. Every phone call throughout the last 5 months has been ignored, not returned until HE is good and ready, every text message ignored and then replied to days later when it's more convenient for HIM. Everything has been about him. I tried to take a back seat all the time, I didn't want to get into an argument with OH.

Yesterday was the big wedding shopping weekend, my mum, dad, sister, OH and me piled into the car looking forward to an exciting day, the day when I was getting my dress fitting and bringing my dress home, we were buying OHs suit, picking up my beautiful flowers, it was going to be a big exciting day. My dress fitting went fabulously and later in the day I wrote a Facebook update for my family, mere minutes later and OHs mobile rings. The second I heard who it was my stomach plummetted because I knew exactly what the outcome was going to be. OH was gone ages so we all went to find him, he said that BM said he didn't have enough money to come anymore. Didn't have enough money.....this comes from the man who spent over £700 on a motorbike 2 days ago, a man who travelled all the way to London on Thursday to see a gig, a man who travels to London fortnightly to see his stupid slut of a girlfriend. I seriously broke down in tears. Some of you may remember that most of OHs family cancelled on him, his mum is the only immediate family coming to the wedding. And now, his best friend let's him down. If there is anything in this world that angers me the most it's seeing the people I love get hurt. As we were in the middle of Burtons there wasn't much I could do so I put on a brave face and carried on with our day.

When we got home we sat together and I got OH to relay the conversation to me. Basically because of some storage charges for his bike it has wiped out all of his money (he only got paid yesterday) and so he doesn't know for sure if he can make it but he would call us next week to let us know. This...was ridiculous. He honestly thinks he's important enough for us to wait a week for him to make up his mind, he seemed so blase about the whole thing, not even thinking for a second how much planning had gone into his place at the wedding. You know the big kick in the face? Those concert tickets and the train tickets to get him to London were booked 2 months in advance. He was happy enough to plan in advance for a stupid concert but not for his best friends wedding. The fact that we looked on national express and saw that he could get a return for £13 and he claims he can't even get that small amount of money together. He has an endless social circle and a large family and so we both found this unbelievable. OH called him and the first thing that BM says is "make this quick, I'm busy." Is that honestly something you say to your best friend who you blew off earlier in the day? A huge argument ensued, OH is not someone who ever gets angry and so BM felt threatened that he was not in control of the situation. He argued with him for ages until OH said to him that he was no longer welcome to the wedding. Oh...then how the conversation turned. Suddenly BM says that 5 minutes after the phone call earlier in the day where he said he probably couldn't come, he had managed to borrow the money off his brother and had booked the tickets. Now I'm a very observant person, put it down the amount of CSI games I play, but things just did not add up. I let OH end the call and then posed questions to him. IF he had managed to secure the money after calling us and had booked the tickets then why hadn't he called us to let us know? IF he had booked the tickets then why wasn't it the first thing he said when OH called him later in the evening? It was only when OH said he wasn't welcome that he said. OH sent him a message on Facebook, impersonal and cold, exactly how he always seemed to treat OH. Our suspicions were pretty much confirmed when the reply was accepting and dismissive.

I'm glad we hadn't got around to buying him a gift or making him a place setting. OH ended up asking my brother, at least he cares about the both of us. He's shown a constant interest in the wedding. I'm glad this whole thing is over.

19 replies

Latest activity by atlonglast, 1 November, 2010 at 08:24
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Some friend, by the sound of it. Sounds like you're better off without him there.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely better off without him AJ, I just wish this had not been left to the last minute.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I suppose at least it wasn't 3 days before... but you have a replacement lined up who I'm sure will get right on down sorting out what he needs to get done, and your day will still be as wonderful as you've always imagined it to be.

You'll just have a 'better man' instead of 'second best man' at your groom's side.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Oh no what a kick in the teeth. At least you know who tyour friends are now. You will still have a fba day x

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear your news; what a complete tosser (excuse my language). What kind of a MAN, a supposed best friend at that, call two weeks before your wedding to say something like that? He clearly has no interest in friendship (If so he needs his head examining) and has no kahunas for being such an imbecile over the phone. I hate the fact that people can be so insensitive and uncaring in something that is so important to another! You and your H2B do NOT need friends like him. I hope the moron realises what a great friend he has lost (although people like that are too wrapped up in their own sad lives to notice).

On a lighter note, I am very happy for you that you have managed to source a new BM at such short notice and think that having your brother is so lovely. I had to laugh reading your post too, with reference to the 'slut' and you playing significant amounts of 'CSI'.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Words literally fail me. How horrible for you both to have to go through that at all let alone so close to the day. For what it is worth I agree with your OH uninviting him and getting a new BM. I also think it all sounds very odd that he cant find the money then he can but never told you. I am not sure I would have been able to hold it together in Burtons even with people watching so well done you. As you say your brother has been interested in the wedding and I am sure he will do an amazing job (although to be fair it would take some beating to do a worse one than the old BM). Have a glass of wine, cuddle up with hubby to be, remind yourself why you are putting yourself through all this stress, take some deep breaths and then look through weddingy stuff to get yourself all excited again. Sending you lots of hugs xx

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ohhhhh flower, I remember previous posts about this bloke and you saying you were sure he'd let you down. Thank goodness your brother is able to step in. Your poor OH must be devastated. At least - and it's a minute comfort at best - that bloke won't be there to c*ck up on the actual day and ruin it in any way, shape or form. He sounds a proper t1t and like you and your OH are better off without him xx

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

OH MY GOD! What a total tool!! I was worried the same thing would happen with our best man...LUCKILY OH had enough of the best mans attitude and told him to get stuffed...now our best man is a close friend of both of ours... Smiley smile.

People who say that they want to be involved with a wedding should be prepared to spend the money they need to. In a way its probably better that he's let you down, at least now your OH knows what an idiot he is, AND he hasnt ruined youre wedding day.!

X

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

He sounds like a tool. I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but at least your H2B will have someone standing with him who actually cares xx

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

Oh Schnarfy, bless you. Some people really just dont deserve the respect theyre given.

Better off without him but it still hurts, I know. This stuff happens to my H2B all the time, and not just one friend either, they all just take the p*** in my opinion.

Like you say, your Brother cares about the two of you and is interested, and will be a far superior BM anyway because he will be able to see past his massive ego and make it about YOU. xxx

• MrsCJ
    Beginner July 2011
    MrsCJ ·
    • Hide content

Sounds so selfish.

Don't think about it anymore...happy thoughts. And what a great bro you have! Bless him xxx

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing! I cannot believe how he has treated you and your H2B! What a d!ckhead! You're better off without him. Hope your H2B is ok xxx

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

What a totally sh*t thing to happen on the run up to your wedding, but the others are right, you and your OH are better knowing now about this than a day or two before. What a total utter kn*b good on your H2B for telling him up front that he was no longer welcome. Your day will be so much more relaxed knowing that it isn't potentially about to be ruined by an idiot. Hope your OH is doing ok x

• yummymummy05
    Beginner November 2010
    yummymummy05 ·
    • Hide content

What a complete and utter ar$ehole (sorry). i dont understand how people can just do something like that! i remember your previous posts about him and it sounds like you are better off without him. you will have a fab day without him

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

What an idiot, hope your OH is OK. Like others have said, at least he wont be there on the day. I best your brother is honoured to be BM if he's shown an interest in your day. Better now, than a few days before the big day. Good riddance

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your messages. You are all so sweet, it's lovely to have cyber-shoulders to cry on. It feels as though a weight has been lifted off us both, we were so weighed down with worry over the ex-bestman and now we are just sighing with relief.

My brother is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, THE man for the job. We have been sitting all day cursing the fact we didn't ask him first. He's 18 and so you would expect him to be uninterested in something like a wedding and yet when I went to get my dress he was constantly on the phone asking about it. He's so interested in all of the decisions we make and he just geniunely cares. The old saying goes "weddings bring out the best and worst in people" and that saying couldn't be truer, friends come and go but family is for life.

Come on wedding, I'm ready to become a Mrs now!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Well I really do believe that everything happens for a reason sometimes, and in this case your Brother it seems was meant to the best man, although it was upsetting it sounds as if its all going to work out much better anyway ?

My h2b is having real problems having a best man, none of his close friends want to do it and have all hinted so he doesn't ask them!! can you believe that, they have all gone wobbly on him and basically dont want any responsibility so he has said stuff them and is not having one. My little flower girl who is 10 is going to have the rings in her basket instead to hand over at the ceremony.

People eh!!!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh Shnarfy! I remember your first thread about this guy a few months ago - if I recall correctly you had your doubts about his committed-ness back then - and it looks like you were right - though it must be an awful thing to be right about Smiley sad what an ass he is. Although I don't think anyone expects other people to re-arrange their lives around their wedding, you would expect people to have the common sense to see being asked to be Best Man is an honour and you shouldn't agree to do it if you aren't going to make the effort.

I don't think there's anything you could have done to change this guy's attitude and I think you've been really patient and calm with him to be honest because I can see you really wanted for your OH to have his friend there.

But it's done now and, like others, I do think it's for the best. Now you won't have to worry about him not being able to get there at the last minute or making a half-assed speech. You've got someone lovely who cares about both of you and the wedding and being best man - that's much better!

Huzzah! That's what I like to hear Smiley laugh

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

What an idiot, some friend he is! Glad your brother is being bm now, he sounds like the better man for the job! x

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

Its absolutly awful that he could treat you and H2B in the way he has. But it does actually sound as though he has done you both a favor. Now instead of having a useless piece of rubbish acting as best man you now have the real deal in your brother.

Its going to be even more wonderful. xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics