Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

disneyfanatic95
Dedicated June 2017

Best man issues

disneyfanatic95, 30 of May of 2017 at 23:20 Posted on Planning 0 5

So we have 18 days left to our wedding eeeeek? But we have been have issues with our best man. So we have two. My brother and my OH best friend.

My brother had been fantastic. He's been doing everything he can to keep our stress levels down, whereas my OH best friend hasn't been there at all!

When we first announced our engagement and asked him to be our best man he was with his current girlfriend who lives a fair distance away from us. 3 and a half hours away I think. When we first spoke to him he said that he will be there for us. He will be there when we need him and he will put us first, but he hasn't.

When we asked him to come and get the suits he said that he can't because he is with his girlfriend, so we rearranged, and then he said he couldn't make that date either because he was with his girlfriend. He wanted us to order the suit for him, we said we couldn't because we didn't know his measurements and it can fit people differently. I gave him the product code and said that he needs to get this one. He waited 3-4 weeks until he got it.

We then started speaking to him about the stag night. We knew he was going to a festival so we changed the date, when we spoke to him he said that he can't make it because it's the weekend of his girlfriends birthday, but i don't think it is her birthday on the weekend I think it's before. I understand that he wants to see her but the reasoning that he gave was because if he didn't see her he wouldn't get any. So apparently that's more important than his best friends stag night.

Also he isn't going to be there for the wedding rehearsal because he is at the festival which is fine we knew that but he said "I've done it before so I know what to do"

He came round over the weekend and I asked him if he's taking OH and my brother to the church so they can all go together but he said there isn't room in the car because he is taking his mum and girlfriend, although it's a 5 seater car. I then asked if he is still going to be at the house with OH and my brother to support OH on the morning, but I didn't get an answer.

whenever we try to talk to him about the wedding he either ignores us or changes the subject. We can message him but he will read the message but does not reply.

My OH is now starting to wonder if he made a mistake with his, and wants to say something to him, even ask him if he wants to be best man. But is worried with it being so close to the wedding whether it'll cause an argument.

sorry it's long but any advise would be great Smiley heart

5 replies

Latest activity by disneyfanatic95, 3 of June of 2017 at 12:20
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to take action. He's not fulfilling his role and there's no sign of any improvement on the horizon. Even the bit about the car ride to the venue is nonsense... I'd sack him and just keep the lovely brother who's keen on the job.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Expectations... his girlfriend DOES come first, just as you would come first to your fiance and its unfair to expect otherwise, you also dont get to question her birthday

you said you know and its fine him missing the rehersal for the festival so you cant complain about that

find out if hes getting ready with your fiance in the morning as thats the only issue here so just ask him straight out, he doesnt hae to try on suit or even go to the stag do because being in the wedding party is an honor not a job with demands and I can see your fiance being upset if his best friend cant make it to the stag but honestly its not your place and non of your business to get involved

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'd leave it. You've got 18 days. Get the night before and morning of sorted then just plan around it.

Don't cause yourself any extra stress this close to the day.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I think a lot of people say they will be best men and bridesmaids and think all they have to do is turn up on the day. That's all I would ever really expect from a bridesmaid and best man but I know that everyone has different expectations. Maybe he thought he would only have to turn up on the day and didn't fully understand the expectations of him. Why is it when we become brides to be we all of a sudden expect people we love and care about to drop everything just for us and our wedding? It's not not really fair On them. We're already getting to live our dream by marrying the one we love. Is that not enough for us?

• F
    Beginner September 2017
    FutureMrsTuff2017 ·
    • Hide content

I'd bin him off. Our best man didn't seem that fussed and then the day before suit shopping told my OH that he's moving to Australia so won't be able to be best man after all. What a relief! No replacement best man and we've saved money and hassle. Win-win. Good luck!

• disneyfanatic95
    Dedicated June 2017
    disneyfanatic95 ·
    • Hide content

My OH thinks it's because we have my brother as best man as well, I think he's decided to ask him again if he does want to do it, if he doesn't then that's fine we haven't lost any money from it. I just don't want them falling out over something like this. They've been best friends since 10 or 11, that's a long time, hopefully he will realise how my OH is feeling. I don't think he knows how he is making OH feeling but hopefully a heart to heart might help.

Thanks for all the adviseSmiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics