Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner July 2011

Best man problems

diydoolally, 3 April, 2011 at 17:35 Posted on Planning 0 7

I'm hoping for some advice. My other half has a "best" friend who is supposed to be his best man whose behaviour is totally unacceptable. He has always been an idiot when drunk and there have been several incidents which have really upset me including him making prank calls to my parent's house and me on the eve of my Nana's funeral. My H2B had told him that if he didnt apologise for that he would no longer be included in our wedding and he did and i let it go for my H2Bs sake. He is also getting married (at short notice before our wedding for family reasons which we have been very supportive of) and this weekend was his stag do organised last minute and very expensive even though he know we are broke due to wedding. Have just heard from my H2B that some of the party are now stuck abroad because when the call came to his friend from pick up service to airport his "friend" and brother went to the airport and left the rest of them behind so they missed their flight - more expense we cant afford and just plain awful! I'm concerned about this person being such an important part of our day and especially what he might say in speeches or do to my H2B as a "joke" the night before. I don't want to be the bride that tell's H2B who he can and cannot have and i understand they have a lot of history but surely there is a line! H2B is a very loyal and forgiving person which i love about him but is driving me nuts where this person is concerned! Anyone else been in a similar situation and have any advice? Trying to appreciate the irony of him being the "best" man but as the wedding draws nearer i'm really concerned!

7 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 3 April, 2011 at 18:52
  • *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

What does your H2B feel about the situation?

• D
    Beginner July 2011
    diydoolally ·
    • Hide content

H2B is really angry at the moment but I'm pretty sure he will let it go. He has a cousin who he is close to and would be a good best man but I don't know how i would persuade H2B to change, he hates making a fuss. We are already inviting this guy's parents as we are hoping that might mean he isnt too offensive in the speeches. I feel really bad for H2B that his friend is treating him so badly and I want to be supportive so telling him i want this guy out of the wedding seems to be the opposite of that! I'm driving myself crazy and even thinking about threatening to tell this guys fiance (who will then be his wife) some of the awful things he has done if he doesnt behave which is not like me at all (and i actually wouldnt do because the last thing i want to do is ruin things for someone else)! I know i really need to be talking to H2B about this but i think i'm too angry right now to have a rational conversation!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to judge everyone by my experiences but a friend kinda had this issue.. the stag do was all fine and the groom had the speech convo with him so he thought everything would be fine but unfortunately it wasn't. The BM speech was so shocking and horrible about the bride she was moments away from tears and now the groom and BM haven't spoken since and never will. I can honestly said looking back she should really of put her foot down. She wasn't happy about the grooms choice of BM but felt it wasn't her choice... He totally ruined their wedding and honeymoon as she couldn't get it out of her head!

I totally agree with lynnie-p you do need to sit down with the BM and lay some ground rules and just hope he sticks to them! I don't want you to tell the groom to get rid of him as its really not the brides choice but speak to the groom and see how he would feel talking to the BM or maybe if there we two BM's??

Hopefully you won't have the above issue but my friend would have a serious talk to the BM if she could repeat the weddings.

Good luck and keep us posted x

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

At the very least, it sounds like you need to sit down and talk to your h2b about your concerns and just see if maybe he is feeling the same but worried about making a fuss. If you approach this together, you'll find it much easier to deal with.

So has this guy left your h2b stranded abroad then??! I would be furious and wouldn't hesitate to insist that he wasn't to be a part of my wedding.

• D
    Beginner July 2011
    diydoolally ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the support ladies.

Yup H2B and two others stuck. Have just had to pay for a further night's accomodation and flight tomorrow for H2B and another friend who literally has no access to money (and the "friend" knew this as he persuaded him to spend his last pennies on the stag do!) Thanks for the advice re having a chat to this guy, it wont be easy but better than avoiding it and regretting it guess. At the end of the day i'm marrying the guy who i think is the best man and I know would NEVER treat someone like this so lucky me!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like your H2B needs to have a serious chat with his BM and lay down some ground rules.

You hint at family problems with the BM, and perhaps that effecting his judgement, but making him clearly aware of his problems should relax you.

Perhaps get him over for an evening with his B2B, ie curry and a few drinks? Some guys like to play up, but he may be a different person away from what he wants his public appearance to be?

Jason

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics