Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner May 2025 North Yorkshire

Best man’s fiancé not invited to wedding

Blake, 24 of October of 2023 at 07:58 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Hello all.

I need some brutally honest opinions.
If you were the finance of a best man, but not invited to the said wedding, would you be happy inviting that couple that snubbed you to your own wedding?
I would like to retain the moral high ground wherever possible, but I am pretty hurt at the exclusion (he’s the only person who didn’t get a plus one). They are best friends so it would be so weird to not have him at our wedding and I would never sub his wife. But my pride has been quite wounded. Should I man up?

6 replies

Latest activity by Lisa, 6 of November of 2023 at 18:36
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think there are some other questions you should be asking yourself.

Do you know why you were not invited? Many couples will exclude partners they don't know, or partners who are not engaged/married or even just any partners at all if they are trying to keep costs down, but it seems extremely odd that your fiancé was the only person not to be given a 'plus one', especially considering his important role. (And 'plus one' is something given to single guests so that they do not have to attend alone - technically, if you are married, engaged or in a long-term partnership, you are a partner, not a 'plus one' anyway!)

Was your fiance happy to go to this wedding when you were the only partner being excluded? And how do you feel about him going?

I think this is something you need to work through with your OH. If your exclusion was due to some kind of temporary disagreement that is now over, or if it was because they had not met you and were only inviting partners they knew, then I think inviting them would be a good way of healing any awkwardness. But if they have issues with acknowledging you in general, then I would have concerns at your OH maintaining the friendship, never mind inviting them to your wedding - you don't have to get on with each other's best friends, but there should be a minimum of mutual respect. They don't get to switch their acceptance of you on and off, based on the situation.

• S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with the previous post, find out why you weren't invited. Then have a think about whether you really want to attend the wedding. Do you know (and like) the couple and genuinely want to celebrate with them or do you just feel really hurt about being excluded (which you are entitled to feel)?

I would speak with your partner about who to invite, but if they are super close then he would probably want them both there. You be the bigger person ❤️
  • Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content

So, I was MOH for my best friends wedding which had been planned for 3yrs, they were getting married in 2022. in 2021 I met my now fiance and started dated him so they were still getting to know him, which meant they didn't give me a plus one for the wedding as originally I had been single when their numbers were finalised and they would have had to add him on at an additional cost.

both him and I were fine with this because I knew their numbers were tight anyway, he didn't feel snubbed and she will be my MOH for our wedding. I think sometimes it boils down to the strictness of numbers, not even that you've done anything wrong.

we're finding it difficult ourselves as we cannot justify giving everyone a plus one (we are only having 40 people in the day time) as we need to keep the costs down. if you really would like to know the reason though I would just ask them rather than trying to be 'the bigger person' as it is clearly on your mind if you've considered not inviting their partner to your own wedding because of it.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's understandable in your case if the couple were not providing plus ones for all guests. But in OPs case, every other single guest was given a plus one - so even if he was not known to the couple at the time when they drew up the guest list, it still doesn't explain why his fiancé was the only person not to be allowed to bring someone with him.

• Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m sorry, let me clarify; I was the only person without a plus one. Everyone else had a plus one as they were dating people (I was the only single person involved in the daytime ceremony, including guests. I know, depressing right?)

And I still didn’t get a plus one after we started dating, and had been together over a year by the time the wedding rolled around.
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    We had a pretty strict no +1 if we hadn’t met the partner. It didn’t matter to us if they were married or cohabiting etc., if we hadn’t met them, why would they want to come, they wouldn’t know us and it would just be a weird & expensive day sat on the sideline of someone’s wedding. However I will add that nearly everyone (one couple was the exception) that came was in a group of friends where they knew at least 3 other people going, so no we didn’t leave anyone sat on their own with no-one to talk to, don’t worry!

Have you met the couple that are getting married? Do you all get on? Have you all been out on a double date or done something together?
    For me, if my best friend has a new partner in their life, I’d want to meet them and vice versa, I want to know my husbands closest friends. I don’t expect to be in all the chats and involved in the all goings on, but they’re significant enough to someone super important to me, so I’d want to make the effort. If you’ve not met the friend that your fiancé is a best man for, maybe that’s where it needs to start?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics