Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little fluff
Beginner September 2011

Best places to go in Italy??

Little fluff, 18 of June of 2010 at 08:05 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi, we are thinking of going to Italy for Honeymoon. We have never been and just wondering if any of you have, where are the best places to visit?

Thanks, and sorry for all posts, i haven't done much planning at all but now i have my dress i feel like its all systems go!!!

14 replies

Latest activity by debmci, 18 of June of 2010 at 22:52
  • Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Good Morning ?

I've never been to Italy personally but I hear Rome is lovely. My grandparenst have been a few times. Theres lots to go and see to.

Heres a few ideas: https://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/lazio/romantic-rome.asp

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

We're going to Italy too, probably go to Sorrento as it looks amazing and my friend's honeymooned there and said it was brilliant. We also want to include Rome or Venice too, for a bit of culture x

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

I loved Sicily and Sardinia for a bit of difference. Sicily is interesting because of the volcanoes there and it's far south so lots of sun Smiley smile

• O
    osbaldwick ·
    • Hide content

Its got to be Rome or Venice.... ?

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

The Bari region is fabulous and not very touristy. Sorrento is lovely too, but can be very busy. I can recommend the Grand Hotel Nastro Azzuro as it's perfectly placed on a cliff so you have gorgeous views of the amalfi coast, plus they do a complimentary bus all day into sorrento. so you can't have some proper relaxing time. Plus you must go to Pompeii (get a guided tour, first then go off on your own) and versuvius - the volcano!

Ischia is a lovely day trip on the catamaran from sorrento (go to the spa's!) and you can do a days' boat ride from sorrento to positano, via a lovely swim in the warm water around capri...sigh!

Watch out in Naples/Rome for pick-pockets, a few friends have been had there Smiley sad

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I used to work in Venice, so can certainly give it the big thumbs up.

VERY romantic & not half as expensive as some people make out, if you know where to go.

It also does NOT smell in the summer time, as some people say (usually those who have never even been!!) My main windows backed onto one of the side canals & I never noticed any nasty niffs in the summer time.

It was lovely as the Gondelier trips used to come past my window & there was one Gondelier man who used to serenade me if I happened to be at the window the same time as the tourist trips went by - Shame he was rather old & rotund or I may well have been taken in by him..lol

If you need any info on Venice, give me a shout

Debbie

xx

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I did a bit of Backpacking around Italy, but only really saw the tourist areas.

Florence is lovely for it's art and culture (good food but not cheap)

Rome is very touristy but also very beautiful.

Sorrento is for the proper holiday loungers - restaurants and beautiful sea. Yum Yum!

Venice is def something with a twist, I went at winter but I heard in summer the water gets a bit smelly (?)

Maybe you could do a tour? My friend drove a car around Italy for 2 weeks, starting at Rome and working up to some Lake further North where they rented a nice apartment.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I love italy!!! Used to go every year with my family once upon a time!! lol.

I've been to Venice, Rome, Tuscany, Garda & Umbria, and to be honest it was all wonderful. Venice and Rome and beautiful (and touristy) and well worth a visit, but my favourite part of Italy is Tuscany. You have Sienna, Pisa, Luca, San Gimignano, Elba and Florence (and more!) within easy reach in Tuscany as well. You'll find that most of the little towns are picturesque though. Really want to go back now! lol. ?

xx

BTW, never noticed a smell in Venice, and we always went July/August time.

• Little fluff
    Beginner September 2011
    Little fluff ·
    • Hide content

Oh my word, so many places, so little time lol

Think i need to make a list of the things i defo want to see and go from there, hopefully fitting a few of them in. We were only planning on a week as we have a daughter who we will be leaving at home for this part of honeymoon. Looks like it will need to be expended to 10 days. We then planning on going on more of a beach holiday for a week and taking her with us. I'm not that evil that she will miss out all together lol.

Thanks for all your comments x

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

I agree with ililacit, Tuscany is the nicest part of Italy in my opinion and a lot of the main cities like Rome, Florence, Pisa are within easy reach, as are some of the Lakes. I've travelled a lot around Italy and found to north a lot more appealling than places further south like Sorrento so if I were you I would stay around Tuscany or the Lakes for the best Italian experience.

You'll have an amazing time wherever you go in Italy though, I love it there!

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I also backpacked in Italy and loved it - I would definitely say include Venince for your honeymoon, it will be super romantic! And also I never noticed any pongs and went in August! Amalfi was also very lovely and I think popular for honeymoons, though we were on budget so I can't recommend any nice hotels!! Capri is also meant to be gorgeous, you get a boat from Amalfi there I think. We based ourselves in Pompeii for a few days and travelled to Amalfi and Naples from there by bus to do some exploring, Pompeii itself is lovely and sooo interesting. We also went to Pisa, Verona (gorgeous and again honeymoon romantic - you can go see Juliet's house and write a love message on the wall as newlyweds), Assisi - which I totally loved and Rome which has lots and lots to see and do of course - action packed and probably not relaxing but very amazing!

I wanna go back!! x

• W
    weddingfavorsnow ·
    • Hide content

Rome is best for honeymoon purpose...

Wedding Favors
  • Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

I've spent months and months travelling around Italy and I love the north. The lakes are gorgeous - but I'd avoid the more touristy Garda and focus on Como. There's fantastic walks in that area if you fancy something beyond relaxation too!

I'd then suggest a trip over to Verona - it's touristy, but a really nice town, lots to do and see, and some fantastic eateries. Just a busride away from Verona is Soave, which is a teeny little hilltop town, but really beautiful - there's a great wee vineyard there where the owners give you a really personalised tour and will let you try anything! Some of their wines are stocked in Jamie Oliver's restaurant 15 (at a fantastically marked up price!).

Venice is worth a visit to say you've done it - but try not to stay too central and make sure you explore beyond the tourist trail - but the Peggy Gugenheim museum is fantastic, even if the exhibits don't appeal, the location is something else.

If you fancy west coast, the Cinque Terre is utterly stunning - five pretty little coastal villages - lots of good food and boat rides between them. You can also take the lovers walk between some of them through olive groves, which is just so nice (although I did go with my mate, so it wasn't quite so romantic for us).

Further south, San Gimignano is so pretty, and there are lovely country strolls in that area.

Those would be my top recommendations!

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

I forgot Florence! If you fancy a more city break - Florence is my favourite city! Absolutely lovely and sooooooo much to see and do. The architecture in the town is pretty stunning.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Smiley smile lovely! Well I've been to venice!! Its gorgeous! My first trip there was on a coach trip (which I won) so we had to do a wee tour about to get there! We spent a night at lake como! Absolutely Gorgeous!! And stopped in verona - also fabulous! We stayed our main part of the trip was based staying in Lido do Jessollo - it was close to the port where we travelled into venice from! Hope thats a help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics