Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk

Best way to walk in a wedding dress without tripping over it?

Hayley, 9 of February of 2022 at 10:36 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 19
Any tips. Thanks.

19 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 11 of February of 2022 at 14:17
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Of you have a big full skirt I would practice, bit also make sure before you go down the aisle it is pulled out at the bottom. This is why I have a tea length dress as don't want to trip 😂
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think you are very wise haha. I don't know if I've ever really worn a long dress. It's not a huge skirt but an A-line dress with about 3 layers.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

I am same as Charlotte and have tea length dress as well. Problem solved!

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah bloomin eck, why didn't I think of this ha
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dress sounds similar to yours and I'm having the same sort of fears! I'm going to mention it when I have my alterations, as I reckon the key is to make sure the front is not too long that you'd accidentally step on it...

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Let me know how you get on Chloe. Fingers crossed none of us trips haha.
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I had mine altered the other day, similar, a-line with 4layers I think and she made it so that as I stepped the toe of my shoe poked out a little and it seems to be perfect. I'm more worries about people treading on my train even when it's buttoned up! 😬
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's good to hear. My dress has been made to measure but I do wonder if it's slightly too long. The plan is to wear Doc Marten shoes with it, not heels.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice idea- I’m changing into white Converse with my tea length dress for the reception and dancing.
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds lovely 😊
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Woo, fellow DM wearing bride here 😁 they’re what I wear every day, so have a special personalised pie for the wedding - why be uncomfortable or unsteady (esp in my venue with uneven ground) when I could be comfortable and dance

On the walking in a long dress, there is a knack to it, and I’m struggling to think what it is! In the summer I wear very long dresses a lot, and you kind of figure it out, and when/how to lift the skirt etc. Perhaps you could practice by wearing long maxi dresses around the house (and esp walking up/down steps - the biggest trip hazard in my experience!)
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Pick up the front of your skirt a little when you are going up steps or slopes so you don't tread on it. Otherwise, just take it steady. If the skirt is the right length, it should be easy enough to avoid tripping. As Nathalie says, you can practice with a maxi skirt. My dress was WAY too long, as Covid meant we couldn't get it shortened in time for the wedding, but I still managed not to fall, so you'll be fine as long as you don't rush.

• R
    • Hide content

NB: Watch out if you're planning to do the ceremony in heels and the reception in flats though - ditching the heels will bring the dress closer to the floor.

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah fantastic. I have gone for some DM shoes. They're white with black hearts on 😊

Ah, now you say this, I do have one long summery skirt. I don't think I'll need to go up and down steps. Oh, maybe outside the registery office, depending on where we have pictures taken. Thanks, I must practice more.
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 😊 Well done for managing your too long dress. I hope you had a lovely day, even with Covid. I am aiming to be in my DM shoes all day. I can't walk in heels so definitely won't be wearing them haha. I'll have more of a practice, thanks
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the size and length but WW11 style "goose stepping" is the easiest way to describe a good technique to try. Watch out if you have heavily crystal embellished shoes because they always seem to catch and get stuck in the underskirt.

In a big dress with a long train you will quickly learn the art of the "swoosh" when manoeuvring.

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my, I think I need to look this up! Thank you
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is an exaggeration but you get the idea.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a brilliant way of describing it - I was trying to think of how to explain it and couldn't come up with the right words.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics