Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Aisling
Curious July 2022 Lothian & Borders

Bible Readings

Aisling, 16 of June of 2022 at 07:54 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hi Everyone,

We are at finalising details stage and haven’t yet chosen a Bible reading. Has anyone got any suggestions? Something unique would be great rather than the ones most people do.
Thanks!

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 20 of June of 2022 at 21:46
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'd avoid 1 Corinthians 13 - it's the Bible passage that everyone who has a church wedding but doesn't usually 'do' church tends to pick.

Outside of that, I think you can go for pretty much anything. Pick a passage that's meaningful to you or ask your vicar/minister for suggestions.

• R
    • Hide content

I've had a hunt through my scrapbook (I'm one of those sad individuals who saves wedding invites & orders of services - whoever clears up after I'm dead is going to be cursing me!). Nearly everyone went for 1 Corinthians 13, so I was right in thinking avoid that if you want to be unique!!! One couple had the same reading as Lee-Anne. Here are the others I found.

John 2 v 1-11 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.” “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.” They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him."

Romans 8 v 31-35 and 37-39 "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

We chose 1 John 4 v 7-12: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

• G
    Curious October 2022 North Yorkshire
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    I know, there has been some suggestion to avoid 1 Corinthians 13, but personally I really like it.
    My OH’s parents had it read at their wedding and the first time we heard it my and my OH smiled at each other because it’s actually quite true and relevant to a healthy relationship.

Alternatively though, we were looking at a passage from Songs of Solomon (sorry I can’t remember which chapter).
    There is also a nice verse from Jeremiah 31:3, I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree 1 Corinthians 13 is a great reading, but Aisling specifically asked for readings 'other than the ones most people do' and about 9 out of 10 church weddings that I've been to have had 1 Corinthians 13! Which is why I suggested avoiding it, because nice as it is, it's definitely not 'unusual' to have at a wedding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics