Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner April 2013

Big bulky flowers - vintage theme

Vintage84, 14 February, 2012 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello Ladies,

Right, the more I think about it the more I'm heading for a vintage theme. There's not much I can do about the catering, because it's set by the hotel, but my decorations etc. I definitely want to go vintage romantic.

Getting married in April next year and while my centerpieces won't be flowers I would like a few vases in the room. So, I'm a bit clueless about flowers but I need big blooms in pinks & purples (I want my bouquet to be those white roses with the pink edges and some sort of deep purple flower) preferably ones that are in season around April to keep the costs low. I don't need them made up for me, I'll happily pop to the florist myself the day before and between me and my mum we've got loads of glass vases.

So has anyone got a clue on BIG blooms? (insert giggling here)

thanks ladies : ) xxxxx

8 replies

Latest activity by silkexuberance, 16 February, 2012 at 14:28
  • Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

Im sure other people who are more knowledgable will be along shortly... but for vintage romantic and big flowers the first one that popped into my head was peonies -

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i did too but im not sure they are in season in april. i know my peonies in my garden are june.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

I immediately thought of hydrangeas. They come in a range from green, white, cream, pink, purple and blue and their flower heads are massive. Should be in season in Spring.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Ranunculus:

Peonies:

Chrystanthamum (not sure precisely what type these are):

Dahlias

No idea about seasonality tho I'm afraid!

Sounds like the look I want for my flowers, but I just described it to the florist, and she is going to do it!

My wedding is June though, and she said peonies weren't in season, but don't know if thats because they are earlier or later!

She described the look I was after as 'blousy' flowers - so maybe another florist will be able to direct you to inseason blousy flowers!

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

All these flowers = happy people, flowers always brighten my day Smiley smile

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

The 'blousey' looking roses you mention with pink edges sound like David Austin roses which, along with peonies, are unfortunately very expensive even when in season - sorry Smiley sad If you do want specific looking flowers and want to purchase them from your florist, they will need to be ordered as florists don't normally have 'wedding' type flowers in stock but more general gift type flowers that they sell on a daily basis. All wedding flowers need to be ordered especially if you need a specific quantity. Hyrandgeas are a good alternative and can be bought as plants which work out cheaper as you get more blooms on that way. Bloom chrysanths or double chrysanths are fairly blousey and inexpensive but if you talk to your local florist, she will be able to advise what's in season and at their best and least expensive but definitely don't wait until the day before otherwise that's too late for her to help you. She will need to place the order at the wholesalers around two weeks prior to when you need them to make sure you receive everything in time.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for the advice, the flowers you've put pictures up of are exactly the type I was thinking of I just didn't know the names! Thank you Rainbow Florist, I will pop into the florist local to my venue and ask if it's possible to order particular flowers in. I will probably get my bridal bouquet made up and then just ask for extra loose flowers to pop in vases. I'd really love some of the pink tipped roses, they're just a standard size of rose the one's I'm thinking of, i buy them in Sainsbury's whenever they've got them in (not often).

Thank you again, I really love all the suggestions!!!

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

Hydrangea are lovely

• S
    silkexuberance ·
    • Hide content

You can get david austin roses all year round but be warned that during these times they tend to be more expensive a few weeks leading up to, mothers day, valentines day, xmas

YOu can also get certain types of hydrangea all year round too so worth a thought but as rainbow florsit said they are very expensive, but beautiful and smell fantastic

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics