Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

erinm
Beginner August 2013

Big Day Productions

erinm, 6 January, 2013 at 20:05 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello,

has anybody ever heard of or used Big Day Productions for a wedding photographer? They're prices are great & I've exchanged a few emails with the boss but the only reviews I can find are about 7 all from people who live up north ( I think the company are based up north but provide photographers all over country (I live in Southampton)) and the same several reviews are repeated in places but I just don't think I've seen enough reviews to trust them? They want a £150 deposit from us before we even meet our 'designated' photographer (if I confirm a booking).

any advice/views greatly appreciated

thanks

Erin

8 replies

Latest activity by Big Day Productions, 8 March, 2013 at 22:42
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I haven't heard of big day productions, but I wouldn't like the sound of booking a tog that you couldn't even pick? What if you didn't like their style or something? I've just looked at the site and I'm not sure how it works, but it'd possibly be worth looking at togs directly because big big day productions are a "middle man" and their prices are cheap, it must mean that you're always paying an increase on the price and the tog directly is cheaper, or the tog isn't worth the fee, because you're definitely paying for some sort of extra comission charge on top.

Their gallery says "We have a selection of images below from just a few of the photographers working with us which shows the quality of work they can produce" this means you aren't necessarily going to get the nice ones they've shown on the website, which would worry me that you would pay £150 deposit and not get to choose your tog :s

How cheap did they quote you? (If you don't mind me asking). Sorry to be such a nay sayer.

• erinm
    Beginner August 2013
    erinm ·
    • Hide content

No probs, I was looking at paying £324 to have 4 hours inc travel from ceremony to reception venues, then u get all pics on CD ROM & I was going to make my own photobook online, I don't want to be paying £1400 for a TOG, that's about a third of what our weddings gonna cost lol! I don't think ill go with them, if the togs do only charge that much why don't they advertise themselves that cheaply on they're own sites? No other togs I've researched are that cheap so like u said if big day r a booking agent they'd need a cut too

• Hide content

I'm that cheap, but only because I'm a starting out tog, so that's why I would worry about what they're offering, for a newbie, I'm at least a nice person (haw haw) whereas what if they gave you someone unprofessional (I've heard of togs have whistles around their necks and blow it at guests to sheep herd them!?) You should always meet your tog first to see that you like them. My friend had one that was a bit over invasive and dressed scruffily with half his shirt hanging out. Cheap shouldn't mean you don't get a good service and feel in good hands, because at the end of the day you're still paying out a good few hundreds.

You might be better off looking at starting out newbs, student togs (some of the OM here have had great experiences with newbies, it is a bit more effort to find them but when you do you get a great bargain- there's a thread of mine where someone mentioned that got a really good person and it was their first wedding or something), or alternatively haggling with a middle range tog to see if you can bring their price down a bit. Some of the Hitcher pro togs on here are very nice Smiley smile If you would consider a newer tog, I am £350 for a full day's shooting with images on disc and I go all over England if that helps?

Please don't let me put you off big day productions, I was just sort of saying all my personal thoughts about it, like what I'd think when I saw their service, maybe ask them if you could see your tog before booking, something like that would put me at ease.

• erinm
    Beginner August 2013
    erinm ·
    • Hide content

That's great thanks for ur advice, I was v weary of them tbh so you've helped and as u charge similar to what I was looking at paying I'd much rather go with someone such as yourself, I'd rather give a newbie a chance, everyone has to begin somewhere & just don't understand the £1400 price tags of other togs. Have u got a website, ill check you out :-)

Thanks, Erin x

• Hide content

Ah yes it's in my signature: www.mariannechuaphotography.co.uk

If my style or what I offer isn't what you're looking for, don't hesitate to drop me an email anyway because I can happily recommend some directories or other affordable/sub 500 togs, I don't mind at all!

• erinm
    Beginner August 2013
    erinm ·
    • Hide content

Lovely thanks so much for ur help :-)

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The reason for this is that budget price photography cannot afford to meet up and see several couples without a guarantee of a booking. They can keep the prices low by couples signing up front.

With any photographer, do check exactly what you would be getting. If its a disk only coverage, get it written down exactly what resolution and file size the images will be. Over the years on this forum we have seen dozens of couples get files that are only good for 6x4 prints and/or have a watermark over the image that costs extra to remove or extra to buy in the high res quality files.

I should stress that I am not saying that Big Day Productions do this, although some do....all couples please do check and don't assume a cheap deal is always a good deal.

hth

Peter

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Just to add, although you've already had excellent replies that probably answer all your questions Smiley smile, I've heard a few horror stories involving 'teams' of photographers, where companies have sent very inexperienced togs who weren't up to scratch. There's of course absolutely nothing wrong with booking a beginner or student, particulalry as a money saving measure, but you at least want to look at some samples of there work and be able to have a good chat with them first to see if you get along and are happy with what they've produced in the past.

James

• Big Day Productions
    Big Day Productions ·
    • Hide content

Hello there,

I feel that as this post is regarding our company I should say a few words. There seems to be some speculation as to the quality of our photographers so I would like to say that I can assure you that all of our photographers that work with us are professionals, our reviews and images themselves speak a thousand words but I can see that our competitive prices will make some people question the quality of the service you will be receiving from us.

When booking with us, you are actually getting a cheaper rate than if you were to book the actual photographer directly, the reason for this is because our photographers work with us on a freelance basis and we are able to offer them repeat work throughout the whole year so they price their services to us accordingly.

If anybody is looking at booking with us, we will be happy to provide sample images from your potential photographer so that you can see exactly what you will be getting, and any other information you might require from us so that you are fully aware of the service we'll be providing to you. Our aim is to provide professional photography without the high price tag and we are very confident in our ability to do this.

We cover over 500 Weddings & Events each year, and ensure the same level of service is provided to each and every one of our clients. If you check out our Facebook page, or browse the web for Big Day Productions reviews, you'll find positive results but as I say if anybody is feeling a little wary at all, then just get in touch, ask as many questions as you like and we will be happy to provide as much information to you as we can.

It is great to see our name cropping up in places so I just wanted to give you an insight into what we are all about, which will hopefully give a lot of people who read this the peace of mind that they need.

Please feel free to contact us if you require any further information at all and we hope to hear from you in the future.

Kind Regards.

Josh

Big Day Productions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics