Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Beginner June 2022 Leicestershire

Bill!

Rachel, 24 of June of 2021 at 12:46 Posted on Planning 0 7
We are both in our 50's, second time around, who pays for the bridesmaids and mens dresses? Us, them or joint?

7 replies

Latest activity by Kayleigh, 23 of July of 2021 at 05:36
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I think it’s expected that the bride and groom pay but it’s whatever you and your bridal party are happy with.
  • B
    Curious March 2022 South East London
    Betka ·
    • Hide content

It's generally expected that the couple pay with some minor exceptions.

If the bride and groom want to dictate the theme or choose the specific dress/have all groomsmen in matching suits, it's polite and expected that they pay. (That said, I believe most people use rentals for groomsmen rather than purchasing).

If the bride and groom are happy for the wedding party to wear what they like, or to have a broad brief that they can make their own choice within (i.e. all bridesmaids wear pink but they pick their own dress; groomsmen wear their own suits but have matching ties etc), then it's more acceptable to ask them to pay some or all of the cost. (Though some might still be unhappy)

As Marcie says, it really depends on you and your bridal party.

• N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    I think what Bethia has said is the general rule - if you’re dictating what they wear then ideally you should pay, if they choose their own outfits (even if you suggest a colour/theme) then letting them choose and pay for their own outfits is fine. But you know your bridal party better than anyone, and what will work best for them/you, none of these “rules” are ever set in stone
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    My bridesmaids (with the exception of my daughter, and my flowergirls) will be paying for their dresses. We've decided it's best for them to choose their own in the right colour so they're comfortable in it, and they're choosing to cover the cost because of that. Had I insisted on a particular dress, I would have paid myself.
    My fiancé's best man is getting his own suit, but we're paying for the shirt and our two boys suits we'll be paying for xx
  • Rachel
    Beginner June 2022 Leicestershire
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's a difficult subject to raise! Ours aren't that well off so im a bit stuck
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you already asked them? Did they mention budget at the time? If they are UK bridesmaids, they will almost certainly be expecting you to pay.

There are a lot of cheaper dresses out there - you don't have to spend £££s. And it's more usual to hire than buy the groomsmen's suits.

An alternative is that you just ask them to wear suits/dresses they already have.

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Bridesmaid dresses don't need to be megabucks. I've seen some really lovely ones for less than 40 quid, don't fall into the trap of thinking they need to be really expensive to be nice! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics