Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jumbly Girl
Beginner May 2010

Birdcage veils

Jumbly Girl, 9 November, 2009 at 13:18 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of (random as always) questions about birdcage veils. Does anyone know what era they are generally associated with? My dress is v. 1930s Hollywood glamour, so not sure it's really in-keeping as I thought these types of veils are from the 40s.... Also, does anyone have any pics of side dos with a birdcage veil? And do they come without the feathery bit? I'm keen to have something with a bit more glitz and glam (e.g. a hair comb + side veil). Or is that overdoing it?

And do people keep them on for the whole day, or do most brides take them off at some point (and at what point)? I really love them but have never seen one worn at a wedding (hence my dunce-ness).

Any suggestions for good suppliers? Thanks lovely hitchers!

8 replies

Latest activity by Jumbly Girl, 11 November, 2009 at 18:18
  • Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I cant help you, but just wanted to say I love birdcage veil and would have had one if it tied in with my theme (rustic, my dress is also way off the mark as well now) so will be lurking round this thread

• Mogwai
    Beginner October 2009
    Mogwai ·
    • Hide content

I wore a birdcage veil for my wedding last month. It usually comes without the feathery thing, but you would need some kind of hair accessorie to cover the comb bit. I got an 11 inch Russian Net veil with scattered Swarovski crystals made by www.birdcageveils.com - loads of photos on that site. Mine cost about $50 with $25 p&p which works out at about £45 only. Really great service and it was posted in a big box so it kept it's shape perfectly.

I'm not sure if they were worn in the 1930's or not. I know they're associated with 'old hollywood glamour' but looking through vintage websites, there's not many photos of them at all from the 40's let alone the 30's! Seems they wore all manner of different head pieces! If a birdcage suits your style and your dress, go for it! I doubt anyone at your wedding will be tutting at you for historical inacuracy! They definitely work well with a side do (something I considered) as you can play around with the look a lot.

I wore mine for the whole day. You can take them off or pin them back into a 'pouf' at the reception if you like, but I loved mine so much there was no way I was taking it off!

I haven't got many photos of my wedding yet. Here's a link to our photographers blog though - scroll down to "Andrew & Maria, October 23rd" and you'll see a couple of photos of the veil.

http://www.ronmphoto.com/blog/

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Birdcage veils are more 50's

Here are some to whet your appetite!....

There would have been more, but it's not letting me upload them, for some reason!

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Hello

In my mind veil's of some sort have been popular throughout the whole of this century, & it would just depend on what style hair & dress as to how it was worn.

I did a fascinator for a bride on here a few months ago. She had a large crystal flower on a head band, and had a detachable veil. I made the veil so that it would sit in position during the day; and for the evening it could be unclipped & taken off. (I hope the bride doesn't mind me flashing this picture, she sent it to me in the week & I think it shows you what you are asking quite well. But if she doesn't want to be seen I'll remove the pic!).

You cold of course just have a small amount of detail or the veil on a comb if you didn;t want a band. It would just depend on the style you choose. I hope this is of some help; and please feel free to email me if you have any other queries or questions.

Thanks

Katie

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your advice and lovely photos. Does anyone have any pics of birdcage veils with side dos?

Katie V, I may well be in touch soon!

charlied - glad to know I have a fellow birdcage veil fan. Keep me posted if you find out any more info elsewhere!

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

I think www.birdcageveils.com has a load of photos so you might find one on their with a side hair do.

I LOVE birdcage veils and did make some enquiries but unfortunately they just weren't going to be right for my hairstyle.

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Can't help on the era, but if it goes with your style of dress then go for it.

I had one and loved it. A HIB on here made me a comb to go over the join and keep it in place. I just had an orchid on the comb with diamante sprigs coming out of the centre. I kept the veil on for the ceremony and just over half of the photos. When I took it off the comb detached and I just wore the comb with the orchid in for the rest of the day. You can get anything attached to it really. When I was looking I saw some nice pics somewhere of a big rose with a really sparkly diamante centre which was gorgeous.

Anyway a couple of pics of mine below. Not the best ones really as I only have access to facebook pics at the moment and not the pro ones. You can' t really see the flower that well in these ones but gives you an overall idea. Hope pics aren't too big.

• Flo and Percy Vintage Tiaras
    Flo and Percy Vintage Tiaras ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Personally i think they look best with 1950s style dresses with big knee length skirts and petticoats or a smart vintage style suit for a registry office wedding. We have a picture of one we do on a model:

www.floandpercy.com

...and see the Looking Glass Collection...

kx

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much everyone for your help and advice. I'm definitely going to have to have a bit of a rethink about my headpieces as my dress is very much a 1930s style rather than 50s. Such a pity, as I really love the birdcage veils.

Mogwai and Diamondsareagirlsbestfriend - you both look so lovely! Thank you for sharing your pics.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics