Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Birthday dinner poem request

17 September, 2012 at 10:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Hi all,

please can you help, its my husbands birthday soon and we are taking people out for dinner, in the invite i want to put something along the lines of we are paying for the meal but can you please pay for your drinks.

can anyone come up with a little rhymy type thing for this please?

10 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 17 September, 2012 at 12:36
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I would just let them assume the bill will be split as usual. Then surprise them by paying for all the food. That way they will see it as a bonus rather than potentially getting niggled about paying for drinks.

Although if they did complain about paying for drinks then you can tell them to do one!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what Ducky said.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We had this situation when we threw a party for the ILs, I'm struggling to think now of what we put and can't find the invitation.

Think it was something like "A buffet lunch will be provided, and there is a bar for those who wish to purchase their own drinks". We did pay for champagne as a surprise though.

I'm sure we phrased it better than that but my brain isn't working!

On a side note, is it only me who would just assume the meal was going to be paid for, if I was sent an actual paper invitation for dinner (as opposed to a Facebook invite or text or whatever)?

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Please don't do a poem!

How many people are invited, and how well do you know them? If they're close friends just have a word with them.

Saisi- I'm not sure about assuming it would be paid for. I think it would depend on where it was and how the invite was phrased.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Although I'd make sure I was able pay on the night, I think I would assume the same.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, although I think it might depend on your group of friends.

OP what's the norm for your friends, if you go out for someone's birthday do you normally all pay your way or does the birthday boy/girl often pay for everything since they'vve invited them all out?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I would asume costs were covered, but would make sure I had enough just in case.

To the OP - I wouldn't expect drinks to be covered, and I doubt they will...no need for a poem!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

With tongue firmly in cheek....

"Come out to dine and here's the deal,

You buy drinks, we'll get the meal.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't put a poem.

Hs family go out for most birthdays, as there is 18-20 of close family the bill is always split and we always pay our own way otherwise it would be too much to go out all of us together.

My family is only my, H and my mum and brother. We always say well split but I like to pay as often as I can as my mum doesn't work many hours.

If it was friends I would assume to pay my own, even of I was invited out. I wouldn't say I could go if I didn't have the money for it.

If I was you I wouldnt say anything and at the end of the meal just say you'll pay and if you dont mind paying for drinks. The last time we went out, family from abroad came over and at the end of the meal Hs Great gran payed so we payed for half the desserts with Hs mum and dad. Although there was a bit of a free for all as no one wanted her to pay so there was loads of money on the table so we decided to not put the desserts on. Someone else put money for drinks.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Have just had a thought that asking me to pay for my drinks leaves me with the most expensive part of my bill ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics