Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

1234ABC
Beginner

Bit Boring, but i'm completely befuddled...Storage Heating

1234ABC, 1 February, 2012 at 16:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

How in blazes does it work?

We've just moved into this flat that has a storage heater in the living room, and everyone keeps telling me how expensive this is going to be to run. But i don't understand how to work the darn thing in the first place that i now think i'm going to be paying mega money because i can't work it.

There is a dial that say's Temp boost, and had 3 choices. Early Boost, Mid Boost and Late Boost. The other one has weather settings. Mild, cold and very cold.

The 3rd dial on the front also has a switch below it and it goes from 1 - 7. I think this is the thermostat, but i'm not sure.

Can anyone explain how my heater should be working so that i'm not paying even more than i have to on heating my lovely new flat?

TIA!

RKB

9 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 2 February, 2012 at 21:25
  • cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Somehow not sure how...they heat up overnight when the electric is cheaper then whack out the heat when you want it. I used to have them and OH could work them but when he was away I was always freezing or boiling Smiley sad

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I don't know how they work but we have them at work and they are supposed to be cheaper. Not sure how though so my post is a bit useless!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I had these in my apartment. If anything they are cheaper. Theyre usually run on economy 7, which is where they heat the bricks up in the night (cheapest eleccy), and then during the day the bricks kick out all the heat, getting cooler until the next night. The only problem with them is once the bricks have heated up in the night theres no way of turning them off the next day if you get hot, or turn them on if you get cold, so i was forever opening and closing windows.

On mine there is 2 dials, one for input, 1-6, 1 being to heat up a little, 6 being alot, and one for output, which is how much to open the vents and control the heat you let out.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Aha!

This I can help with.

How they work depends on what tarriff you are on with your energy company really as this determines when your cheap rates are- its the cheap rate you use to store up the heat and then you release it when you need it. Who are you with- I could find out for you?

So if you are on tradtional Economy 7 these hours are between 12-7am. You would have the input set higher during this time but keep the ouput shut untill you need the heat. So lets when when you get home from work at 5ish you could open the output and the heat will be released. I also would normally advise to close the output (flaps!) when you leave a room as well.

Its very diffirent to GCH as you have to actually select when you want to heat the room you are in- also if there is any sort of "top up" heating on the storage heaters try and avoid using them- they cost a fortune.

Best best is to google the manufactures (normally Dimplex) to check how your exact model works.

Storage Heaters dont have to be really expensive- if they are used right.

Also- if you have an immersion (a guessing you are all electric) then dont leave this on all the time- its definatly not cheaper!

Did that help at all?!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Cheers for the info!

It's a Dimplex CRL XN...or a combination of those letters. I'll need to look at it when i go home.

Mini, The 'top up' heating, would this possibly be what the switch and dial on the front of the heater is?

We are with Scottish Hydro...i think, we haven't got a bill in yet, so i'm not sure what our tarrif will be.

We are all electric in this property and i've not touched the boiler that's there since we moved in, so i don't know if i need to do anything with it or not. I don't actually know where the immerser switch is for our property. i think i'll need to go look for this. Our shower is a power shower, so it heats the water as it goes.

we have heaters in the other rooms that have timers on them. I'm not entirely sure if leaving them all the time with the timer set is the best option, or if we should only have them on when we're using the room?

I don't really want a repeat of the last flat we stayed in where we now owe the energy company a stupid amount of money because we couldn't figure the heating out and ended up with it on almost constantly for a month.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

You, are an absolute star! Thanks for this. I could not find this when i was looking for it! Now, does anyone know if this is an expensive heater to run?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Rkb- I can den help then! You will be on either economy 7 or thtc. Let me know which and I can confirm the hours f or you. Or pm me your postcode and house number and I can tell you what tarrif you are on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics