Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsV-wasMissB
Beginner August 2015

Bit of a dilemma with the “entrance” to ceremony…

MrsV-wasMissB, 18 of May of 2015 at 09:45 Posted on Planning 0 11

OK so as it stands this is the order of entry for the females of the bridal party. We have a ‘rehearsal’ (family get together) 2 weeks before so everyone knows their place and when. All outfits and accessories are purchased. So far so good.

1st -- Flowergirl aged 8 (my friends daughter) and Flowergirl aged 3.5 (H2Bs niece) – both carrying a basket each of petals to scatter

2nd – Bridesmaid aged 15 (my niece) alongside the Ringbearer aged 2 (H2Bs niece) – BM carrying a flower posey and RB carrying the dolly bag with the rings in

3rd – My Adult bridesmaid – friend

4th - My Adult bridesmaid – chief

5th - My Adult bridesmaid – sister

Last – my dad and I.

So… this is where the dilemma comes in.

H2B speaks a lot about his friend’s wedding video where you see his 2 little nieces carrying a flag saying “Uncle xxx, Here comes your bride”. H2B isn't one to “drop hints” but it’s very clear he loved this. Plus, he absolutely DOTES on his 2 little nieces. The little nieces being the FG aged 3.5 and RB aged 2.

Having heard him mention this story several times whilst I’ve been present, and seeing his eyes light up, I thought “there’s a surprise I can arrange with the best man”. However…. This means… a) rehearsal will be unnecessary else H2B and everyone else will know whats going on, but, even if we cancel this then b) it messes up my order of entrance which I’ve had my heart set on, works perfectly well, and we have bought everything for.

The other option is:

1st – FG aged 3.5 and RB aged 2 – H2Bs nieces carrying the flag , but then the whole idea of RB being RB is that she carries the rings to give to her Dad, who is Usher (H2Bs brother) – nice though yes?

2nd – FG aged 8 and young BM – both MY side of the family so to speak, but that doesn’t make sense… unless BM has a basket as well but that’d look odd

Then the BMs

I did think perhaps have the same order as originally planned but with the 2nd entrance, his niece still holding the ring bag and my niece both holding the flag. But whilst he loves my niece equally as his own, he has a closer/stronger rship with his 2 as we spend so much time with them (as do I really, due to locations of the family and time spent together!)

I know he’d be over the moon to have his little nieces walk in with a flag, but it messes up what is a perfectly perfect order.

Really stuck Smiley sad

11 replies

Latest activity by MRSLUXTON2B, 21 of May of 2015 at 09:08
  • Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

What about having the order you like – but with FG aged 3.5 carrying a little sign rather than a basket of petals – I’ve seen signs small enough that only one child can carry it – rather than a flag that requires two. That way he has one niece carrying the flag and one acting as ring bearer (giving them both important jobs) x

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

How about... have the order that your OH would like but change what they are holding so that it works a bit better:

1st - both mini FGs - one with the flag and one with the doll (so neither have flowers and will match in carrying fun weddingy things). Could always get them flowery headbands/button hole type things if you wanted them to have a flower? This is provided you can compromise on not having flowers actually being scattered by them

2nd - Younger BMs (8 and 15) - could they both have flower corsages instead maybe (and then can also be 'hands free' to scatter from baskets too if you wanted), or both have a matching mini bouquet. then they would both match too

Personally, I like the idea of the mini girls going first, then the slightly older ones, then the grown ups, I think height wise it would work well (as if the age 2 neice is behind BM age 8 in your original order, may she be a bit more difficult to see? Maybe I am over thinking!) Good luck! x

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Well, the "mini FGs" arent both FGs, as one is the ring bearer (albiet in a similar dress).

The other younger ones (8 & 15) arent the same role either, one is a FG in a FG dress and one is a BM in a bridesmaid dress.

I guess its a case of the FGs not going together and BM & RB not going together , which means a FG and RB go down, then a FG & BM.... I guess the 8 & 15 year old could both have a basket each but wont that look odd when one is in a white FG dress and one is in a pink BM dress?

Also, the RB (aged 2) is more likely to want to do as she is told than the 3.5 year old who, for lack of better expression, can be quite moody lol.. so dont want it to end up being a mess Smiley sad

:/ ARGH!!!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

How about have the 2 smallest go down together - one with a sign and one with the rings. Then the 8yo FG come down on her own, followed by the 15yo BM on her own, rather than having them come down as a pair if they're in different roles.

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm ok. I don't think it would look odd for one in a BM dress and one in a FG dress to both have flower baskets - they could maybe have colours that match the other ones dress so they compliment each other?

Or.... Go with your original order and couldn't both of the littler ones have a flag each?

Maybe have the 8yr and 15yr old scatter flowers if you are set on the flower scattering by 2 people (and 15yr old could also have a BM corsage), or just the 8yr old do it which I think would be fine as she is going in first anyway -

so I would maybe go with the 8yr old scattering + RB with a flag and the doll/rings, followed by 15yr old either scattering or with a bouquet instead + flower girl with flag and a flower wand or pompom?

Dont worry whatever you choose will be lovely :-) x

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

That may be a good idea.... But then the "flag" is more of a "bed sheet" type of thing rather than a flag you wave....

Think it might be too much for a 3.5 yr old to carry alone....? And that leaves the 2 yr old without anyone to hold her hand...

ARGH!

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

My cousin actually had this at his wedding. You could have your RB carrying the rings and the "FG" carrying the sign. The second FG could have the basket, and if you wanted the younger bridesmaid could have one as well. Although I don't think it's necessary to have them matching. You don't even have to have them walking down in pairs if you don't want to. No one is going to notice how many flower girls you have or if everyone is doing what they're "supposed" to be doing. In the picture I've included the RB isn't even carrying the rings. I believe the Best Man had them. And they were last (you can see the bride entering in the background) after the bridesmaid, because my cousin's wife wanted the sign to announce her entrance. The most important thing is that you're honoring these people by including them in the wedding party. And to keep the surprise you can always practice the walking and order without the sign, and then give the FG the sign at the last minute before the real ceremony.

ETA: I noticed you mentioned something about having 2 people from the same side of the family walking down the aisle together and how that doesn't make sense (unless that was referring to them wearing two different dresses. I wasn't sure what you meant). As soon as you say "I do" you will all be one big family anyway, so if that is a concern I wouldn't worry about it. We are going to have a sign outside that says "Today two families become one. Please choose a seat, not a side" because we don't want our guests coming to support either the bride or the groom, they are there to support both of us as a couple.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This may be the resolve. Beautiful picture by the way! So...

1st - FG aged 8 with the basket scattering petals

2nd - Young BM with flowers

3rd - BM friend

4th - BM friend/chief

5th - BM sister

6th - FG aged 3.5 with sign saying "uncle h2B here comes your bride" AND RB aged 2 carrying the dolly bag

OR

2nd - BM friend

3rd - BM friend/chief

4th - BM sister and Young BM niece

5th - FG aged 3.5 with sign saying "uncle h2B here comes your bride" AND RB aged 2 carrying the dolly bag

I could give the other FG her basket after the ceremony at some stage, and ask her to scatter petals somewhere........ hmmm ideas? She is a flowergirl so dont want her to be without flowers and doing something with them....

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should have this option:

2nd - Young BM with flowers

3rd - BM friend

4th - BM friend/chief

5th - BM sister

6th - FG aged 3.5 with sign saying "uncle h2B here comes your bride" AND RB aged 2 carrying the dolly bag

I think to have each person walk independently except for the 3 year old flower girl and the 2 year old ring bearer (have them walk together). I think you could give the flower basket to the mother of the flower girl ( if she is not in the bridal party) and once the little one has walked down the isle with the sign her mother can swap over, taking the sign from her and giving her the flower basket so that for the exit after the ceremony for walking back down the isle she now has her flowers.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Do people not just up and leave the ceremony room in no order then? I thought at the end people just exited after B & G?

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

Not any wedding i have been to. The Bride and groom leave first obviously but then the bridal party leave in what ever order you like and then the rest of the congregation. I've never been to a wedding church or civil ceremony where the guests get up and leave before the bridesmaids or best man! In my opinion that would be really rude. The weddings i have been to it is the bride and groom, bridesmaids, best man, ushers, father of the bride, mother of the bride, mother of the groom and father of the groom that leave first and then everyone else. I think it would be a good idea to speak to the registrar or vicar who is carrying out the wedding.

My sister got married in church in September 2014 and she wanted the bridesmaids to walk down the isle first and she and my dad last but the vicar said that wasn't the proper way and that the bride goes first and the bridesmaids follow behind her as in effect she is the most important so she goes first. So each place does things slightly different so i would check.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MRSLUXTON2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

im sorry to jump on your post i hope you don't mind but i had also planned my bridal entrance which was:

One flower girl

2 page boys (brothers)

2 teenage bridesmaids

myself and my son

however i have bought some signs, for the flower girl and page boys to carry in and now esp after reading your post i am not sure if the entrance is still fitting.

Maybe i should change it two:

flower girl with here comes your girl sign

2 bridesmaids with flowers

page boys with last chance to run sign

myself and my son

any thoughts would really help

Thanks x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics