Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

shoegal01
Beginner October 2010

Black Bridesmaid Dresses Dilema

shoegal01, 23 of February of 2009 at 12:20 Posted on Planning 0 30

I love black and really want Bridesmaids dresses in black but everyone keeps telling me 'you cant have black for a wedding' - what do you lot think?

30 replies

Latest activity by The Little Jewellery Box, 10 of November of 2009 at 13:40
  • lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content

I think it'll look great, very classy. You could always liven it up with another colour - black and hot pink looks fab! (Not hot pink but you get the idea!)

Stupidgirl is having a black and white theme.

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

I think black BM dresses can look amazing, my OH was dead against them said black was for funerals and we have gone for sage green instead and I'm really happy with them.

When are you getting married? You can brighten up the black dresses with bright flowers I'm sure or are you thinking a black and white theme?

Lots of others on here are having black and can share pics I'm sure.

• thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

Quite a few people on here are having a black and white theme, sure 1 of them will be along soon but if your worried try adding a coloured sash and flowers to brighten them up a bit x

• B
    Beginner August 2009
    BlurpImpala ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where they had black dresses, plus the whole bridal party, ie immediate family of bride & groom, wore just black and white. It looked amazing, really stylish and classic.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Yes theme is black and white and i have seen a dress in coast that i love for the bridesmaids but i dont think i could have a sash on it - i think i will brighten it up with some colour in the flowers.

Oh i am glad noone thinks its a no no at a wedding! i am just not a colour girl - 99% of my waredrobe is black.

• pink munky
    Beginner December 2006
    pink munky ·
    • Hide content

How bizarre I only clicked here by mistake! I had BM's in black, this isn't the best photo but the only one I have to hand of all of them with us. Feel free to have a flick through the others.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Pink Munkey - my decision is made, black bridesmaids it is and sod what everyone else thinks.

I think they looked gorgous in your pics and the black dosnt make the photos look un- weddingy (if thats even a word)

thanks all

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

I am like you - 99% of my wardrobe is black! anyway i've seen a couple of weddings with black dresses - they are not the NO NO they used to be.

like someone else said, stupidgirl45 is having black dresses (from coast i think) and they are fab - put a shout out for her if you need any other monochrome advice!

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I think some black BM dresses are beautful...nothing wrong with black at all! ?

• L
    Beginner September 2009
    Lou xxx ·
    • Hide content

I was checking into a hotel once where a wedding party had just arrived. The Bridesmaids dresses were black and they carried deep red roses. It was stunning. I couldn't stop staring as I'd never seen bridesmaids in black before. It's one of the most striking and memorable weddings I have ever seen.......and I wasn't even a guest!!

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Hey there, as blue said, am having a monochrome theme with BMs in black.

I love black dresses and mine are from Coast.... https://www.coastfashion.com/womens

Picked up some nice sling back peep toe satin sandals to match in Dorothy Perkins....

Having lots of white flowers in black vases and white chair covers with black sashes etc

Let me know if you want any more info - and let us know what you get!

x

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

SG - that is the dress i have seen and want!! after everyone reassuring comments i am going to get hte girls to try them on this weekend.

i am wanting white chairs with black sash's and want black and white stationary like name places - are you having this?? Any pics if so??

So glad i have found a fellow black and white theme gal!

x

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

I had black bm dresses last yr in June

• L
    Beginner April 2010
    loxtonm ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am having a black and white wedding known for a long time thats what I'd have. We are adding a hit of silver in flowers and my H2B is wearing a silver waistcoat. What made me want black and white is the cake which my friend came across and can't wait to make it for me.

The picture doesn't do it justice because I scaned it in from a book.

I say Yes to black and white

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm also having black BM's dresses. I got theirs from Monsoon

I love them!!

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Hey

Yeah they are lovely dresses aren't they! They looked fab on my BMs, am going to post some pics of their shoes in a minute.

We are having traditional white wedding invites with black font, black favour boxes and black tea-lights.....Also for the table names am goibg to use pics of romantic black and white movies (Gone with the wind etc)

HTH - seems we are not alone with our b/w theme - its been in loads of mags

x

• Nicola Grimshaw-Mitchell
    Nicola Grimshaw-Mitchell ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've seen loads of black bridesmaids dresses at weddings and i've got to say i think they look sooooo chic! In fact I myself had my bridesmaids in black, tea-length strappy dresses with huge red corsgaes a la Carrie Bradshaw! They looked wonderful and wore their dresses all summer long. Long black dresses look amazing too - very black tie!

nicola

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls - back to black it is!

x

• Squish
    Beginner August 2009
    Squish ·
    • Hide content

We're having black bridesmaid dresses ? with hot pink sashes. Although we didnt get the most positive of reactions from the older members of the family, we know that it'll look really classy on the day when everything is put together with the bouquets and the other matching bits and bobs. And the bridesmaids are pleased as its a very flattering 'colour'!

I say go for it! ?

• mrs_stone2011
    Beginner March 2011
    mrs_stone2011 ·
    • Hide content

I am having a classic black and white theme!! I think it is very classy!!!

x

• Katzta
    Katzta ·
    • Hide content

We had black BM dresses, with hot pink shoes, a wrist corsage in hot pink roses, and pink diamonds! I had black marabou feathers round my hot pink roses, and our cake had a black and hot pink feather "explosion" at the top! My gran initially said black was for funerals but on theday she said they looked amazing!

• M
    Beginner May 2009
    MRS BREWER 2B ·
    • Hide content

My colour theme is black and cream, my bridesmaids are in black and cream and so am i as the bride.

I did descide that black may be a little harsh for my youngest bridesmaid (6 years but the size of a 4 year old) so i have her in cream with a black sach.

I like to be different and couldnt stand to be as everyone else marrying in white or ivory.

My choice i know and not everyone will agree with me.

H

xxx

• Little.Miss-Scatterbrain
    Beginner September 2009
    Little.Miss-Scatterbrain ·
    • Hide content

http://watters.com/product.php?coll=watters&showid=886

this is the one i'm wearing for my friends wedding in may

x

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a black and white theme but just wanted to say from what I've seen, it looks really classy. Was at a wedding fair last week where they had a whole table display in black and white, and it was stunning.

Also love the idea of black bridesmaid dresses accented with white cala lillies.

Go for it!

• J
    Beginner June 2010
    jollys ·
    • Hide content

Well i too think so that you can go with black but if any one is excusing for it so you can go with any other dark color which will give the look of black means some of like dark blue. It will also looks nice.

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

If I was having BM's I'd have black. I think as well theres more chance of them wearing it again!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Hey Shooey. I'm having a black and ivory 50s theme wedding. Thinking of getting 50s swing dresses for the bridesmaids from Dolly Dagger. LUUURVE them! x

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

I'm having black bm dresses. Strapless, knee length ones with a bit of netting sticking out @ the bottom, a bit like a prom dress. My friend is making them for me.

• Little.Miss-Scatterbrain
    Beginner September 2009
    Little.Miss-Scatterbrain ·
    • Hide content

I was a black bridesmaid, it was the hottest day of the year and it didnt look daft. have what you want you'll just end up regretting it if you dont!

xxx

• chantaldh
    Beginner October 2009
    chantaldh ·
    • Hide content

If you havent already been persuaded by all of the replies here - I would say go for black as well. Our colours were white, silver and black and Teal as an accent. I had 3 'more mature' bridesmaids and asked them each to chose a black evening dress that they would wear again - cos I thought it made sense to do this but also it would look fabulous and it did. They all had different dresses and one even had a short dress ut it looked really great and they wore matching silver and diamante organza wraps and teal fascinators.

Chantal DH xxx

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry what everyone says, have what you would like!!! You can definitely have black for bridesmaids dresses these days. It's quite an old fashioned thing that you can't have black. I think it will look very classy and gorgeous!

If you would like black, go for it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics