Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner October 2025 Tyne & Wear

Black wedding theme

Jessica, 13 of May of 2024 at 11:31 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3
My favourite colour is black but I never really thought I could have it in my wedding. However someone has just suggested and shown me an all black wedding theme where the bride and groom ask all guests to wear black. I straight away loved that idea and thought adding a splash of colour with the bridesmaids in rust and groom in tweed green might be nice (overall theme green, rust and black). However what are peoples thoughts on asking guests to wear a certain colour? Is that deem appropriate or not? Also what are peoples general opinions on the idea? All thoughts very welcome

3 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 22 of May of 2024 at 14:25
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hello Jessica! We are officially a black themed wedding! Not over the top! Bridesmaids, napkins. Lettering in the signs, some table decor! My fiance is in sage green. Our original colours were going to be sage green or rust orange. We do also have gold white and cream in there. My nephew who is walking me down the aisle and he is wearing cream. I love the idea. I’ve seen lots of videos and the all black looks amazing! I say go for it. If I was asked I would be all over it.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Here are a few photos from a black theme wedding with gold. As for asking people to wear black - it shouldn't be a problem as everyone has some black in the wardrobe - don't they ?

When you ask say something like "we are having a black theme wedding and it would be fantastic if you could help us create the look by wearing black if you can."

Black wedding theme 1

Black wedding theme 2

Black wedding theme 3

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I'm not a fan of any wedding which imposes dress restrictions on guests - guests are already paying out a substantial amount in travel, accommodation and wedding gifts, so to expect them to purchase a new outfit in a colour that they may not like or wear again on top of all that seems a bit inconsiderate. Especially if any of your guests are on a low income. I like Bill's suggestion of asking people to wear black if they can, but even then, I can see some folk who don't own any black clothes wondering whether you'd rather they turned up in a non-black outfit or didn't turn up at all.

If you want a black theme, I'd stick to the decor and bridal party and let everyone else wear what they want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics