Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2024 Hampshire

Blended Family - including children and step children in ceremony ideas?

Sara, 10 of April of 2024 at 16:08 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 2

Hiya

We're getting married this year, and my FH has a 20yo lad and me 2 teen girls. We're involving the children in the day with special roles, one of the best man and 2 bridesmaids to make them feel included and part of the day, but wondered if anyone had any ideas about symbolic ways to "unite" our blended family?

It's a civil ceremony at a Vineyard, not a church wedding, we've seen sand pouring, candle lighting, Celtic rope knotting (we're not Celtic) but nothing really stands out-bit worried about gimmicky things, just want a simple gesture.

I'm wondering if maybe including wording in my vows, (about acceptance, blending , joining) somehow but I can't seem to get the wording right? Or by including the kids in the prep, hen/stag dos, wedding hair/MU, dress shopping etc it's enough....I would just like to find a way to say how I'm not just marrying my fella, but will be there for his son too, and acknowledge his official role as step father - although we've been together 6 years and the girls have lived longer with him than their own Dad so they've thought of him as SF for years! My issue is that SSon (who moved in with us 4 years ago) has always pushed me away and at times been quite rude, he was constantly let down by his mum and has a few issues against woman, and its a defence to push away, but deep down he's quite insecure. So I want to say something to reassure him that I'm not taking his Dad, but gaining a step son, but not in a cheesy way, something reassuring and inclusive?!

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions please?

Many thanks!

2 replies

Latest activity by Sara, 18 of April of 2024 at 09:39
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

My gut feeling is that including them in the prep and giving them roles in the wedding is enough.

If they feel part of a blended family, they don't need any kind of symbolism or vow to prove it. And if they don't, only time will make that happen, you can't use vows or candle-lighting to speed up the process.

I also think that anything too overt is likely to make a 20-year-old lad cringe. If he's feeling twitchy about the whole issue of 'step mother', having to listen to you reading out promises to him, or being expected to pour sand into a bottle with you is likely to make him feel even worse. If you feel the need to verbalise to him that you're not going to be taking his dad away, then doing it privately in a casual conversation is more likely to be accepted.

• S
    Beginner September 2024 Hampshire
    Sara ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much - I think you've verbalised what I probably already knew deep down, but had a panic "are we doing enough" which was turning into a "woah doing far too much and will be totally uncomfortable"!!! Thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics