Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2020

Blessing Ceremony Abroad

RomanticIvoryBridesmaid32969, 11 of January of 2018 at 22:41 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 1

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum.

I am looking for advice on whether our scenario seems reasonable. We are looking to get married in Spain but are not religious so cannot have an actual wedding, we will have to have a blessing after getting legally married at home. My question is, is it cheeky to invite guests to our blessing as this is the “proper” beach ceremony I have dreamed of, and plan to have the reception with disco etc after. I plan to tell the guests in advance so they are fully aware it’s not an actual wedding!

Grateful for anyone’s thoughts!

1 replies

Latest activity by DesertElopement, 23 of January of 2018 at 15:55
  • S
    SunnyRedCakes86708 ·
    • Hide content

I feel like it is not good. You are not inviting them to the real wedding at home. But if we look at this like you are inviting them to the party that day, it is fine. SO make it look more like a party and a small blessing ceremony associated with it.

It is better to say your guests that you are legally married at home than saying like your real wedding ceremony is over.

I am a wedding planner in Chennai and I have coordinated many weddings in which couple gets married legally at the registry in the home country and have a wedding ceremony at the wedding destination abroad.

You'd better don't make the guests think that they are invited to a fake ceremony.

Best wishes,

Sara Mathew
    SM Wedding Planners - Chennai

• D
    Beginner September 2018
    DesertElopement ·
    • Hide content

Tell your guests the truth - for legal reasons you can't have the ceremony you want in Spain but that it'll be your wedding day in your head. If they want to come - they will, if not, they'll just come to the party.

Honestly - the more time I spend looking at planning, the more I realise how many silly little rules the wedding industry has. Sod the rules - it's your day, your marriage, your love, and if you want to have your proper fake ceremony on a beach - do it!

I've had friends do a similar thing - it's only the internet that seems to be annoyed about 'fake' ceremonies. Smiley laugh

(One day soon - I'll likely be kicked off wedding forums!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics