Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsStobe13
Beginner May 2013

Blessings in the UK

MrsStobe13, 16 January, 2012 at 19:54 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello ladies,

This is my first post on Hitched, so please excuse the newbie bride here. I know it's a little early that some brides start planning, but with so many more questions going through our minds we decided to bag ourselves the extra 4 months to the usual 12-month timescale!

My partner (Matt) and I have always dreamt of marrying outdoors, in a garden or on a beach- somewhere significant to us. Obviously, under UK law that isn't possible, so we were confined down to approved civil venues around Bristol for our wedding, but at a hefty price that in itself was blowing our wedding budget nearly £2,000 more than we wanted it to be, and in a location that we didn't really want.

Roll on to about October last year we snuggled up for an episode of Don't Tell The Bride. Those who recall it will remember how bridegroom Luke tried to pull of an Ibiza wedding for his bride Alex and succeeded in a registry office wedding and flying the wedding party to Ibiza the day after for a sunset wedding. For me personally, that was terribly messy and the idea of being legally married one day and emotionally married the day after felt really awkward. Then it struck me, we could have the wedding we wanted at a fraction of the cost of an approved venue.

That brings me to my next question folks, has anyone actually suceeded in organising a wedding blessing? What were the legalities and technicalities like? We found a virtually forgotten quiet fishing spot alongside the River Avon which would be plenty big enough for us (and any fishermen who wanted to join us!) in the shade of the trees and just perfect for what we were after, but we aren't sure what permission or legal requirements we have to fulfill.

Obviously, on the pros side of things there is the advantage that we will only have to pay the flat registry office fee and we will (hopefully) be able to have a wedding just like we dreamt of. The disadvantage is that we now have to persue any legal obligations we may have, such as requesting permission from the council, along with the fact our wedding will not be secluded from onlookers.

If anyone has any advice, guidance or experience in organising a wedding blessing I would love to hear from you. At the moment, it's a bit of a disaster as I can only find very minimal information from the British Humanist Association. I'm aware they have celebrants who can help with planning a wedding but we have chosen my Aunt to conduct the blessing and I'd feel bad about contacting a celebrant to use their advice and wisdom without making any further commitment to booking them.

Thanks folks

MrsStobe13

8 replies

Latest activity by MrsStobe13, 16 January, 2012 at 22:55
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Do you actually mean a blessing? A blessing is a religious rite condicted by a minister after a civil wedding. The C of E call it a "service of prayer and dedication". I had this after my first wedding - we couldn't marry in church due to ex-H's divorce, but had a blessing afterwards instead. The vicar certainly wouldn't have gone to a riverbank. If you want a humanist ceremony, that isn't a blessing. Humanists would not entertain the concept of "blessing" a couple due to the religious connotations.

It's perfectly possible, however, to have a registry do, then a humanist ceremony afterwards, anywhere you want. Just contact the BHA for your nearest people.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Mrs H to be, it certainly would be of a Humanist nature rather than a blessing in a church. I'm sorry for the confusion.

MrsStobe13

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely idea.

If you think about where you're allowed to take your family for a picnic, you can pitch up and hold a 'wedding.' You just need somewhere that you are legally allowed to be i.e. no trespassing! Unless you are on private property, you shouldn't need permission.

There are people who conduct non-religious naming ceremonies that would perhaps conduct your 'commitment ceremony' (I just decided to call it that). Or if you had a confident friend with a bit of 'presence' they could also do the job.

With regards to location, you could choose anywhere. Personally I would prefer it somewhere easy to access (pretty shoes don't fair well off the beaten track) and also with nearby amenities such as loos and electricity (if you want to play music) within walking distance. But if you are willing to go without amenities then the world is your oyster.

I just hope it doesn't rain Smiley winking Good luck with your planning.

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing the very same - having a small registry office thing purely to do the legal bit - and we are having an outdoor ceremony.

We are having a handfasting as a blessing of our vows , and are inviting all of our guests to this instead.

It can be as religious or non religious as you want it to be, and encorporate as much traditional or non traditional stuff as you'd like.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thanks. You know, this morning I got up and I thought I didn't have a hope in hell of this wedding, but so far today it's flown together! I've just found out the name of the very location we'd like, it is Saltford Marina. I'm going to find out about the conditions in the area just in case, but I can't see it being a problem!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

It looks a lovely place!

Maybe you could ring them and say 'I have a family day out planned on the Day of the Month of the Year, and I was wondering if your loos, electricity, amenities will be available for us to use?' If they confirm that's great. If they say 'Sorry it our annual boat race that day so the facilities will be used' you might want to pick another day! lol.

A gezebo is easy to pop up, often used by families for days at the park, and also provides a nice 'atler' area for the commitment ceremony. They are cheap too, they are sold in The Range for £14.99. You could sprinkle real petals to mark an 'aisle' for you to walk down (they will degrade so no littering). And you could bring loads of picnic blankets and cushions either side of the petal 'aisle' as the 'pew area' for people to sit. Serve homemade lemonade too!

Keep us updated with your plans. It sounds fantastic.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Seriously Sammi... you should think about the planning business! You're full of ideas! I didn't think I had a hope of my dream day but you've got thought bubbls popping all over the place now! I found a chair hire company which hires chairs at £1.60 each, our guest numbers are probably about 40-50 tops, so even chair hire will only be about £100. I've emailed the marina, waiting for Matt to finish washing the dishes then we're going to have a good think about the budget! As we don't plan to have the ceremony up by the moorings (probably on a grass bank somewhere nearby) I can't see us interfering with anyone, I will keep you informed on our progress though!

MrsStobe13

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    o'malley ·
    • Hide content

We found we were having the exact problem you encountered, not being allowed to be married outdoors in uk, and facing huge cost for something we didnt want anyway, so we are going to registry office to deal with paperwork, and having a humanist blessing done, outdoors, having picnic blankets for seating and loving the idea of serving homemade lemonade! we are putting on invites if any of our guests really require a chair then let us know so we can provide one, go for what you want and dont let anyone stand in your way, wedding da should be special to you and your partner not just how everyone elses expects it, xx

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, depending on costs I may just hire a bunch of chairs and be done with it. We wanted a non religious ceremony but we wanted Corinthians 1.13 read at our wedding in memory of those not with us (who sadly includes Matt's Mum) and a scenic setting. it's true what they say, if you want something enough you can have whatever you set your heart on!

MrsStobe13

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics