Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VIvixen
Beginner December 2012

Blind Groom & Partially sighted Bride Guest book help!

VIvixen, 27 June, 2012 at 19:53 Posted on Planning 0 12

My hubby to be is blind and I am partially sighted. So the usual guest book idea is not going to work for us as we eon't be able to read it. We where thinking about getting some one to video guest book message, like one of our bridesmaids! How to encourage people to do this? And should we set up an area to do this or just have the bridesmaid going round videoing messages?

Or any other alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

V

12 replies

Latest activity by VIvixen, 28 June, 2012 at 22:15
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have done the rounds on video messaging at a wedding - it's boring and it takes ages (although your BM may be more patient than me!). I think you can hire video message machines (that look like a jukebox/games machine thing) that people could use as and when they are ready! Something like this:http://www.capturekiosk.co.uk/

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

Think video idea might work if you could share the job out. Or buy a cheap dictaphone and leave it as you would a guest book for people to record messages.

• kookik
    Beginner September 2012
    kookik ·
    • Hide content

I think the video would be best but agree it would be quite a big job for one person - perhaps you can leave a message on each table saying that instead of the guest book you would love a guest video?

you know how some weddings assign responsibilities to each person (eg, carver, drinks pourer, etc) you could ask each table to assign themselves a videographer and they are responsible for taking messages from each of their table. you could also put different questions to them as well so they have something to say instead of just congratulations....

and to make it a bit more organised - you could number each table and give them a time limit in which they have to pass it on to the next table to make sure everyone gets a go.

hmmmm this sounds good might do it myself! lol! for the 'before and after' parts then you could assign a bridesmaid to do some random filming......

would create some lovely fun memories x

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

We set up a camera on a stand and asked everyone to leave message. Only about 4 people did. We got some great comedy moments of people walking past chating not realising the camera was on but not many actual messages. We had the dj announce it but didnt put up a sign or anything. It was only an added extra for us but if its important to you then youre going to need soemone to push it to people. When it comes to cameras most people are shy so will need encouragement.

Do you read braile? Is there someway you could set up a craft table for people to leave you braile messages that you could put together in a book?

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I recently saw somewhere that there is a company which gives you an iPhone app for people to record messages and then they mix them all onto a recording for you. I can't remember where I saw it though! I think there was an advert in one of the wedding mags.

The advantage of that is that you can give people the app in advance, so they can do it before the wedding.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it's possible, but could you do the normal guestbook thing, and then send it off to a company to get it put into braille?

I don't even know if that's possible, but it's worth researching it. A quick search on google discovers this site: www.access2print.com

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Something like this would be cool if your not having a videographer

http://www.thevideobooth.co.uk/

Nat

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Could you have postcard style cards on each table with a note asking the guests to write their message on then have them transcribled into Braille after the wedding?

• T
    teaparty2011 ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of having messages transcribed into braille after the event. Only works if you read braille of course. Do you have any sight? If so, maybe have the messages printed in very large print.

My parents are both blind. Mum completely now, but dad has a little sight. I think they would have loved something like this. Hope you find a solution.

• VIvixen
    Beginner December 2012
    VIvixen ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks everyone for your lovely suggestions!! I live the photo booth idea we may have to see if we coukd budget for that though but it does look amazing!!

I also like the idea of the transcribing to Braille of the messages to keep.

In answer to your question I have some small sight I use a guide dog and my oh is totally blind!

We will be dressing our guide dog up as page boy!!

Thanks very one!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask a question? Don't answer if you'd rather not...

Wedding ceremonies in the UK have to take place in daylight hours, which is apparently to allow for visual identification of the person you're marrying. I suspect this is an urban myth but it made me wonder if you guys have had to have any special legal arrangements made (so he can consent to marrying the right girl!).

I research genetic causes of blindness so my question is not too random. I'm naturally interested in people with blindness conditions.

• VIvixen
    Beginner December 2012
    VIvixen ·
    • Hide content

We haven't asked to do anything different. But that as interesting thought maybe I could swap places at the last minute LOL!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics