Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Llamastar
Beginner April 2014

Blue flowers??? Advice needed please!

Llamastar, 4 of June of 2013 at 20:34 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hey everyone,

I'm well on with all the planning for our big day next year! Most of the 'big things' are sorted and now starting to think about the 'smaller' details - flowers, chairs, centre pieces etc!

We are having navy/dark blue and ivory as our colours and a general vintage/lacy theme and have become a bit stuck over the flowers! I originally wanted calla lillies as they are a fave family flower but having thought about it I've realised a) just how pricey they are and b) I would prefer smaller fuller flowers for the tables in small vases and would love some navy/dark blue flowers in there as well as ivory- but what flowers can I get in dark blue!!!???

Thanks for any suggestions everyone! Smiley smile

11 replies

Latest activity by Llamastar, 5 of June of 2013 at 21:44
  • loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content
  • M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

If you would consider fake flowers, you can get some very realistic roses in a huge variety of colours, including navy, and no doubt other flowers in your colour too.

• M
    Beginner July 2013
    minuet ·
    • Hide content

Our themes sound very similar - mine is dark blue and ivory and lace!

I initially looked at blue flowers but finding dark ones is very hard. I have instead gone for a complete contrast and introduced splashes of bright fuschia pink in the flowers. You could think about using a palette of antique coloured roses instead ( I wanted to do this but OH vetoed the idea!).

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - although there are blue flowers in the natural world, dark blue are a rarity. There are a few midnight/royal blue flowers available in artificial but actual navy blue is difficult to find in artificial too.

You can mix the artificial blue with fresh flowers quite easily if your florist is happy to do this. This is about as dark as it gets with artificial blue in this bouquet which is hydrangea:-

As minuet says, a good option is to go for a complete contrast using hot pink, orange, yellow, lime green or mixing blues/pinks and purples together:-

Hope that helps.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if you would be interested in making your own 'feather flowers'. It doesn't cost much but does take a bit of time to make them all. You can choose any bead/sparkle to go in the center. Plus you can buy pretty much any colour in feathers.

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

You should be, they look amazing!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a bouquet of blue hydrangeas similar to this

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

My friend wanted calla lillies for her wedding last year, and when she saw how much they cost fresh was appalled. So she got some fake ones on eBay and they were AMAZING! I still have my little white bridesmaid bunch, and they look great a year on. She had a deep red colour for her bunch and they were also amazing. Have a look, some of the ones from China are really great and reasonable price. Check out the feedback of the seller and that will give you an indication of them.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I've found the same thing - navy isn't a great colour for flowers. I was thinking I'd just stick to all white/cream flowers and incorporate the blues in other places

• Llamastar
    Beginner April 2014
    Llamastar ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice guys! Defo now thinking of incorporating artificial blue flowers with real ones to get the darker colour! Loving the feather idea too- so clever Smiley smile

I was thinking of dotting some daffodils around the venue (it will be spring and they remind me of my dad who is no longer with us!) so maybe I could add abit of yellow to the bouquets Smiley smile

• Llamastar
    Beginner April 2014
    Llamastar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are beautiful! But too pale for me Smiley sad

• Llamastar
    Beginner April 2014
    Llamastar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOVE THESE! Smiley smile