Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sidsidney
Beginner

BM shopping today

sidsidney, 23 January, 2010 at 09:59 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all, hope your weekends are going ok. No need to reply - OH is at work so I have no one to talk to!! lol

Taking my BMs to look at dresses today - I am totally nervous about it though! WIll see if the shop will let me take some pics if we find something nice. Am just hoping there wont be any arguments or hissy fits from my sisters....!!

Catch you later! Sid xx

14 replies

Latest activity by sidsidney, 24 January, 2010 at 17:10
  • BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Hi, how many bridesmaids are you having? Do you want them all to have the same dress or different styles in the same colour? Its tricky to get everyone to agree but if they cause a fuss just tell them you'll make them all wear the ugliest dress you can find?

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I would go out by yourself, find the ugliest dresses with the worst colour and take your BM's in to show them your "bargain" (obviously having found what you would really like them to wear ?) and when they start bitching about it, show them what you realy want them to wear and if they don't like it they can wear your bargain dresses ?

I can honestly say I never had any probs with my 2 BM's, execpt for the fact that I couldn't get them together at the same time so had to do 2 trips, I knew what colour I wanted, they just had to agree with the style but in the end they choose what I had seen ?

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

?lol!

I was expecting a nightmare! But all 3 of them found one that they all liked! I was prepared for different dresses - I thought that might look quite cool, but they all decided on this one (the grown up one not the kids!)

It'll be in purple though. Cant see it so good in the pic as the little girl is in the way. I think they were one of the most expensive in the shop tho at £175 each, so I have to do a bit of digging round the local stockists to see what I can get that down to!!

I am feeling proper good now as they all seemed really excited to be bm's, and we had a real good chat about all things wedding'y and who would be doing what etc etc.

Feel a bit calmer about it all now! haha

sid x

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

The dresses are lovely! I have 3 bms, all living miles away from each other so I ordered the dresses in the sizes they said they wanted and let them take it from there! are you paying for shoes and accs too? £175 is quite steep!

I'm letting them find and pay for their own shoes with the stipulation that they have to be silver. Ive bought them matching jewellery as gifts to give them the night before ?

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

That dress is gorgeous!, I'm having purple too ?, who is the dres by and we could try and help track down a cheaper stockist for you.

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its by D'zage.

I sent a few emails to some other local stockists and so far Ive had two say they sell them for £190!! doh! If anyone has heard of anyone cheaper, I be glad to hear about them!

2 of the bm's are very tall and so just want some flat ballet pumps so the shoes shouldnt end up super expensive. I really wanted to pay for their hair and make up, but the quotes Im getting for that are quite expensive, so I think that if they want H&MU on the day, they are going to have to cough up for it! I sound proper mean!! lol

• L
    Beginner September 2010
    lushgirlxx ·
    • Hide content

I am having abit of trouble with one of my BM (my eldest sister) she is wanting to wait untill the end of feb to order the dresses, so she can lose a few lbs

but i am getting married in cyprus in sep so need them ready for end of aug at the latest, i've tired telling her that we dont have the time

that the need to be ordered ASAP but feel as if i am talking to a brick wall, plus she is being very overprotective with what her draughter wears who is my flowergirl

i feel like shouting hello this is my wedding!!!!

on the other hand my other BM has been fab xx

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted to get dresses from Coast/BHS/Monsoon or somewhere but then I asked my sister to be a BM, and as she is a size 26 none of the stores stock the sizes. ☹️ It would have saved me a fair bit of money.

Lushgirl- can you order the dress now and just have a fitting nearer the wedding so that you can get the dress altered if the BM has lost weight? From other posts I think the time to alter a dress isnt too long if you get a reliable seemstress. I am going to wait til 4 wks before the wedding to get my dress altered as I know I will be dieting until then (and I HOPE I will have lost some weight!)

Sid xx

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Sid your BM dresses are gorgeous - good luck with your search to find them cheaper. BM dresses can be quite expensive and then multiply by 2, 3, 4 etc and it can get quite excessive.

I've asked my BMs to pay for their shoes and hair accessories - everything else we will pay for. You have to draw the line somewhere.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this place is accessible to you but they are £125 here http://www.toniaannbridal.co.uk/dzage-bridesmaids-dresss-4.asp

I also found this site that might help woth other stores ?

• H
    Beginner December 2010
    Han85 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a similar issue as one of my BM is also a size 26 at the moment. So the highstreet stores which have some lovely dresses at decent price just are not working. Which is a pain and even though she is losing weight (and fast) i dont want to choose one which puts the pressure on her even more!!

I love those dresses you have chosen, we have been looking at very similar ones by Kelsey Rose and mark lesley but like you they are coming up around the £200 mark. And with shoes,jewl, hair etc its going to cost a small fortune!!

If you manage to find cheap dress store - keep me in the loop :-)

Thanks a mil - will post any links i manage to find. Argh beginning to wish i was rich enough for a wedding planner!! lol

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh the Kelsey Rose ones are really nice, I just couldnt find a stockist nearby that had lots of plus size samples.

I'll let u know how I get on with finding the cheapest price!

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Deb - was there meant to be a 2nd link?

Alas, the first one is a bit misleading, and after a bit of investigating the £125 is for the flower girls dress. Not very clear is it - I was considering a drive to Newcastle for a mo then!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics