Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lady_lyla
Beginner September 2013

BMs gift

lady_lyla, 29 March, 2012 at 10:19 Posted on Planning 0 18

Ok so this might make me sound like a massive tight-ar*e BUT...

Last night I went to this work thing and won £100 Molton Brown vouchers - I've been looking on their site and found these (gift set of 4 candles for £42)

https://www.moltonbrown.co.uk/store/gifts/gifts-under-pound50/langour-piccolo-candela-collection/CAN110

If you were a BM would you like this or are candles a bit 'meh'?

I have 4 BMs so it means putting £68 to... I am also going to buy them some jewellery each (they're wearing different dresses so I'm hoping if I buy them a matching necklace or hairband, it will bring them a bit closer together)

18 replies

Latest activity by BatsGirl, 29 March, 2012 at 18:11
  • teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

I must be tight too because NO WAY would I pay that price for 4 candles!!!

Nice gift but not for that price!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it! I wouldn't burn anything that costs that much! I've looked at their other stuff but for the money it all looks a bit crap.... hand wash is like £30!!! When I won I was like 'ohh amazing' and then realised how much their stuff costs!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Holy bajeebus. £42 for 4 tealight candles!!!! For what it's worth, I don't think you're being a tight arse at all. If you've got the vouchers, and there's nothing you want, then why not get the presents for your BMs.

I do love candles, so would love to receive them as a gift.

Also, just like to point out that I'm making my BMs photobooks which are costing me about a fiver each, so you're definitely not a tight arse!!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

these are them incase you can't see the photo... maybe they're lined with gold?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought, can you use the vouchers in the discount stores? Just wondering because Bicester Village have an outlet store where everything is a fraction of the price, so you'd get more for your money!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that idea!

I was only planning on buying some jewellery from topshop or accessorize so wasn't going to spend too much but this voucher needs spending...

I might wait for sales to be on so I don't need to put as much to as I've just realised paying £17 towards it is still £17 for a set of tealights each ha.

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

Just get one set and they can have 1 each... haha!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Molton brown do nice bubbles baths and lotions too. Would your vouchers stretch to a bubble bath and lotion each?

Then use whatever extra you would put towards buyingthe candles to buy or buy bits to make them bracelets/bags etc.

That much for cadles seems daft!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

love it!!!

I looked at the bubble bath stuff but 3 our of 4 of my BMs live in apartments with just showers lol Everything on there is so expensive - my colleague won a £100 voucher for MAC- might hint about swapping haha

this candle costs £195!!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

First of all - nothing wrong with spending the voucher. It's still "money" in the sense that you'd be spending it on yourself if you didn't spend it on them.

Personally I'd be delighted to receive that present. I love candles and I do appreciate the fact that Molton Brown is posh, expensive stuff. My mum bought me a shower gel/body lotion set one Christmas which probably cost her about £40 but I really did appreciate it.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Wowzer! They're some expensive candles! Why don't you put the voucher on ebay for £80 or £90 and use the money for something more cost effective and then you'll reduce the amount you have to put to it.

• Tallulaha
    Beginner November 2012
    Tallulaha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great idea!

I know Molton Brown is expensive but if I received those candles I would probably think it was a £20 gift - not that I would be thinking how much it cost but I'm saying that it doesnt look worth £42!! As for the £195 candle - well thats just ridiculous!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

Yeah that's what I thought too! I wish I was rich enough to spend so much on candles haha

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This seems the best plan to me - let someone who really wants their products get a discount and you get the cash to buy something that is really worth the money you've paid

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Not tight at all! Why not use the vouchers? Mine are getting a bracelet and that's it, i can't afford to be buying much.

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to do! I've just been told it's a £150 voucher so even more money!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Now, I love my candles, I'm a Yankee Candle fan - forever burning the wax tarts (and usually hunting around Christmas for a new scent as they retire my favourites ) - but no way would I spend that much on 4 tealights and holders! Far too expensive - although I would appriciate it if I was given it as a gift.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I love scented candles too but there's no way I'd pay that much. Arran Aromatics do gorgeous ones for like £10-15 and I feel like I'm splashing out buying them.

If you just want the money then stick it on ebay but if the expiry date is long enough then I'd be tempted to wait for their summer sale as some stuff goes really cheap. My best friend got a load of Molten Brown miniatures in the sale for her favours so you could probably get some nice shower gels, candles etc if you don't mind it being "last season's scent".

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Arran Aromatics ones are amazing - scent lasts so long!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics